It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Shower Tonight!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Pray for clear skies tonight, 'cause it's the last meteor shower of the year.

Prepare Yourself for the Best Meteor Shower of the Year!

A new meteor shower is only a few hours away to amaze our eyes and souls! The Geminids meteor shower is to take place Thursday night, December 13, when just after dark we should be able to see the so-called shooting stars in the east-northeast horizon.

According to scientists, it seems that the Geminids represent the most active annual meteor shower; their source is related to 3200 Pheathon, an asteroid-like object thought to be an extinct comet.

2007 has not been poor in cosmic events; unfortunately, the two other majors meteor showers of the year (the Perseids and the Leonids) passed and gone, failed to impress sky watchers that much. So, the Geminids are actually our last chance to be wowed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It should be night time already in the US, so you people on that side of the world, get off the PC and go have a look at the skies tonight. Let me know how it is and get some photos if you can!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I've counted about 3 shooting stars a minute from 11:00 PM to 11:30 PM (been watching sporadically.) This is GMT-5:00, EST, in North Central Florida. USA.

There was one quick burst earlier this evening -- maybe four or five occurrences in a few seconds. I waited some time for a repeat, but they seemed to just be trickling in after that.

A pretty good show!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yes, I have just read this on abc news.

Can't wait!!

Astronomer Nick Lomb from the Sydney Observatory says those wanting the best view should look to the northern sky for the meteor shower's peak at about 3:45am AEDT.

"Expect just bright streaks in the sky. They could be anywhere in the sky but they would all appear to originate from that, from a spot fairly low down in the northern sky. source

This is the best time to see it in Aust...

Time to get my telescope out!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I braved the very chilly Chicago weather for about 10 minutes and saw 10-15 bright, long meteors, just a few minutes ago (1:25-1:35 AM CST).

Nice. Mars and Venus are huge and bright tonite and I saw most of the meteors looking right between them, and a few over and around Orion.

Very cool, too bad it's so damn cold!
Cuhail

top topics

join