It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team Debate Series

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
No problem GAOTU...I'm on the phone with Vegas right now and they won't have a viable estimate until Sunday Evening. Seems they had riots at a DeusEx debate back in 2004, so they're a bit hesitant to play ball....

I'm working the, "Don't you realize the amount of times you'll be able to change the color of your mini-profile text with all the points to be won?!? angle. I think we got it though, because Big Tony is on our side...

....bets will be taken through the opening arguements....

[edit on 17-1-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ouch...I just looked at the records as posted by The Vagabond in the rankings thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...and discovered that I am the only fighter with a losing record amongst those with a ranking of 8 or higher.....

As a result, I felt the need to stipulate that 3 of those losses were against the current champ and a former champ...

A 3-4 record is not very intimidating....

So....*whistles*...who doesn't feel intimidated by a losing record and wants to debate?

[edit on 18-1-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I haven't finished putting up all of the records yet. There are A LOT of really good fighters who are significantly under-ranked, but over time that will change.

Part of the reason that the rankings were introduced is because great fighters really weren't getting their due because of tough matchups in early rounds of tournaments.

Seeing NYK537 eliminated in the first round of a tournament, in a match that would have made an outstanding semi-final, was absolutely heartbreaking.

As everyone gets more and more debates under their belts, we will be able to seed tournaments more appropriately, so instead of having two great debaters eliminate eachother in round 1, and have one of them go 0-1 in the tourney, they will be more likely to face off in the semi-finals or finals, and the loser goes out 2-1 or 3-1.

All are vulnerable- I'd like to think that if I hadn't been matched against TheLibra in round 1 of my first tournament, my record right now would probably be 7-1.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I find the rankings and records an interesting novelty....and of course, who doesn't like to win.

But I have found myself hungry for the process...it's a great experience and one of the best mental exercises I have come across....

I have an open challenge for anyone who wants to 'polish their numbers' against me....

But of course...I do want to win....

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Rankings can be deceiving at times...

Look at Chissler's rating and then go to the "Politics Head to Head" and read our debate on the Homeless...

That was a tough debate that could have gone either way at anytime...

I like The Vagabonds assessment. As time goes on and this continues, I think that things will even out and we will see a lot more matching up and incredible debates...

I can't go undefeated forever.. LOL.. Even I know that...

As Memoryshock said, these debates are a great mental exercise and also a good source of knowledge. At least that is what I have discovered. I learn a lot of things from reading the debates as the research is done for me.. (Yeah I'm lazy) The depth that some debaters go to is amazing and the research excellent...

I really hope this area of ATS continues to grow and we can give it more and more publicity....

Has anyone considered bringing back the "Podcast Debate?" I did one and it was a blast... It is a lot more work, but introduces the element of having to talk through your position... Really fun...

Semper

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I've sent a u2u to The Borg to see if he is able to continue, and Byrd will be making her last post to our debate when time permits.

Depending on the answer from The Borg, we can do the star counts and get the results for the first round as soon as 24 hours after Byrd posts (I think we should get them all at once, and of course we have to let the last post stand for a while and be seen.)

This thing has gone really slow- appologies to those of you who moved quickly.

We should probably game plan a bit before the next round to make sure that everyone is still into it- or we could just call it good enough or put it on long-term pause if that's the concensus.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If, and when, the second round gets underway, I propose that we go with a more laid back theme among all debates. Just for a change of pace and it will enable some of us with less time on our hands to just have some fun with it. Or just put it on hold for the time being.

Thoughts?

If anyone likes the idea, I'll propose some possible subject matters tomorrow.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Any ideas would definately be good to hear.

Borg tells me he's still in and will be more timely too.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Good to see a post up TheBorg. Sorry i didn't notice earlier been offline for few days. Sorting out new employment.

Just let me get my head back in gear and i will get a reply up asap

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Take your time buddy. I'll be workin on my next reply here shortly.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Everyone run over and check out my and Argos' debate. Things are getting good now, considering the lengthy delays on my part.

Oh, and don't forget to vote...

TheBorg

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join