It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team Debate Series

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yes we had been planning on it once before, and hoping to time it for this winter, but a match that I had been planning on having against Intrepid evolved into this team series.

Seeing as I've got 2 more weeks before school picks up again, no time like the present if Semper has time as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
"Bring it on, Bring it on"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously though.. (I'm on pain meds so take me with a "grain of salt")

What a GREAT debate Memoryshock!!!!

I was going to take a few to rest up, but as you are short for time Vagabond, when you are finished with your debate, I say let's have at it...

I want a really juicy, controversial topic though.... (Either side, you know I don't care which side I take)

Again, kudos to Memoryshock for a wonderfully challenging debate...

Semper

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

As long as the Team Debate Series is not neglected

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree!!!!!!

I'll be on the boards for a long time to come. (If I can learn to keep my cool that is..
:lol

So absolutely the Team Debate series is first priority and should be!!!! I hope this evolves into something that continues on....

I have plenty of time and need the rest after Memoryshock anyway...

Semper

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have no intention of neglecting the team debate series, so no worries there. Once all the matches have concluded we'll tally up the stars, then I think we could take a few days to go over lessons learned, adjust our strategies for the next matches, and talk about topics.

I figure during that break me and Semper could go at it, and if we don't finish up, I may have 2 posts from each debate overlapping, but I could handle it.

Maybe we should start discussing topics now: either for Semper and I or for the next round.

A few that I think might be interesting either to see or participate in on either side:

It should not be possible to "own" land.
Fiat money should be abolished.
Driving is a right that governments may not restrict.
Tazers should be removed from police forces.
America should re-engage Cuba.
America has a moral obligation to assist Liberia.
Smoking in public should be outlawed.
Prisons as we know them should be abolished.
The Pen is mightier than the sword (it's a classic... I think it's on page 4 of this forum)

Or we could try commedy debates, where the point is as much to make a mockery of your opponent's position as it is to prove your own:

South Park will ultimately air more seasons than The Simpsons.
Stephen Colbert would be the best president ever.
Global Warming is a good thing.
Americans are funnier than Canadians.

And just for fun, I would be willing to play Devil's Advocate for the affirmative on these topics, but I doubt most people will want them:
The UN should have the power to tax.
Wealth should entitle one to additional political power.
A global centrally planned economy is necessary in the 21st century.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
For Vagabond & semper, I would LOVE to see a debate on "The pen is mightier than the sword"

Hear me here guys, go with that one!

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm up for anything if you are Vagabond...

Pen and sword or any of the other topics... Even one of the ones you wanted to be "devil's Advocate" on...

We could set the time limit pretty short and that way start and finish during your team debate with little problem at all...

I'm pretty "quick on the draw" as it were anyway, time limits have seldom been a problem..

This is really starting to sound like a lot of fun..

Semper

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well I would like to suggest a topic for the debate between Vagabond & Semper.

The US should adopted a more representative political system .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Tazers should be removed from police forces.

I wouldn't mind arguing against this with my next opponent.

And for the Vagabond and Smeper championship, to be honest i dont think it matters what you two debate its going to be awesome spectical

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The title won't be on the line. The championship ought to be in the hands of the members. I like that philosophy because it serves as preemptive sour grapes, so I have nothing to feel bad about if I lose.

So are we doing Pen vs Sword?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Topical ideas for any of the debates:

G.W. Bush is a misunderstood visionary

The Koran should be banned

McDonalds food is healthy

We dont live in a democracy

Marriage is outdated

There is an afterlife

SRA (Satanic Ritual Abuse) is a myth

America is the land of the free

Public nudity is alright

There is no global warming

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

So are we doing Pen vs Sword?

That's fine with me...

Why don't you flip a coin to see which side we get and set the parameters....

Fun fun fun

I don't think anyone ever has anything to feel sorry about on losing... I have read every debate up to now and some of the losing sides taught me more about a subject then did the winning ones.. LOL

These debates, largely thank to you Vagabond, have blossomed into what I consider to be, ATS's prime feature. What greater exercise is there than the pursuit of intellectual excellence?

I see us all during Shakespeare's time, sitting at small round tables at some local cafe', debating over hot coffee....

It's an age old custom we are engaged in here....

Semper

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I see us in Caligula's time being forced to settle our debates with tridents and nets. I guess that settles who gets which side lol
(kidding).

My coinflip puts me on the pen, but if you have a preference I'd just as soon let you pick your side.

As for rules: I would like to experiment with unlimited references but no direct quotes from external sources, if you're up for that. I think it suits this topic particularly well, since the topic can be so heavily aided by facts but we probably don't want to bombard eachother with the words of prominent philosophers.

I'd also like to experiment with a socratic option: in each post, each fighter is entitled to ask 5 questions which the opponent must answer yes, no, or qualified yes/no?

Other than that, how about no judging but open comment from other fighters afterward, and 24 hour post windows with extention by agreement?

Feel free to say no or "maybe another time" to any of those proposals.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

NO!!!!!

Just kidding....

That all really sounds wonderful to me.... Exciting as I predicted...

Of course I have a preference, everyone does but where is the fun in that. I say we go with the coin flip...

The Socratic Option is FANTASTIC.... I like it already....

References, quotes, etc... All that you laid out is fine with me.... I agree that external quoting can be cumbersome and I usually avoid it anyway....

So....

In fact I am excited now, so pick a time and let's get started... I'm ready when you are...

(This is a"Gloves Off", "Bare Knuckle" Brawl; Just remember at the end of the day, I still luv ya)

Semper

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
OH and it's on!!!

To The Vagabond and semperfortis, good luck gentlemen, very appropriate positions for each of you.

This is another debate that everyone on ATS should be reading.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The thread is up and set to begin Monday.

A 5-1 Former Champion versus a 5-0 Champion on arguably one of the best topics ever debated in this forum. This should be a hell of a show.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is going to be on heck of a ride...

Don't hate me when this is through Vagabond...

I intend on being very aggressive... **GROWLLLLLLL**

Semper

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I believe a judge once said that one of my debates looked like a "pirate going after a fencer" or something to that effect. It's not as if nobody ever got stabbed with the pen before... figuratively speaking in this case, of course.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Good luck gentleman.

This will be one hell of a show....

*ahem*...*starts taking bets via u2u*...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm a little short on cash memoryshock, how about some points? I'll u2u my wager once the odds are set.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join