It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke's 90th Birthday Message

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Date Released: Thursday, December 13, 2007

Source: Astronomical Association of Sri Lanka

Fellow Earthlings,

Sixty two years ago Arthur C. Clarke of the British Interplanetary Society sent a letter to the editor titled Peacetime Uses for V2 which was published in the 1945 February issue of the Wireless World magazine suggesting the use of Geostationary Satellites for the instant global communications. Quoting,

"I would like to close by mentioning a possibility of the more remote future--perhaps half a century ahead.

An ``artificial satellite'' at the correct distance from the earth would make one revolution every 24 hours; i.e., it would remain stationary above the same spot and would be within optical range of nearly half the earth's surface. Three repeater stations, 120 degrees apart in the correct orbit, could give television and microwave coverage to the entire planet."

Today, the Clarke Orbit has over 330 satellites. Sir Arthur C. Clarke, a science-fiction author, inventor, and futurist, simply a great mind celebrates his 90th birth anniversary on 16th of December, 2007.

In 1959, he founded the Ceylon Astronomical Association (now known as Sri Lanka Astronomical Association). As the current General Secretary of the Association, I'm honored to run an association founded by him. And as a big fan of his writings and admirer of his work, I have put up a blog where every one could wish him for his 90th birth day.

If you are a friend, colleague, fan or simply an earthling who admires work of Sir Arthur Clarke, please write your greetings and good wishes on the blog.

Please forward this message around and publish in your website/ magazine/ paper/blog etc... if possible.

Let us wish together a healthy and a long life for Sir Arthur.

Regards,

Thilina Heenatigala
General Secretary
Sri Lanka Astronomical Association

Post your greetings and birthday wishes

Sir Arthurs video message to you

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Nice Speech..

I hope he gets his wishes, all three of them!

join