It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magma melting the ice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Magma melting the ice.

news.yahoo.com< br />

In recent years, Greenland’s ice has been melting more and flowing faster into the sea—a record amount of ice melted from the frozen mass this summer, according to recently released data—and Earth’s rising temperatures are suspected to be the main culprit.

But clues to a new natural contribution to the melt arose when scientists discovered a thin spot in the Earth’s crust under the northeast corner of the Greenland Ice Sheet where heat from Earth’s insides could seep through, scientists will report here this week at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union.

“The behavior of the great ice sheets is an important barometer of global climate change,” said lead scientist Ralph von Frese of Ohio State University. “However, to effectively separate and quantify human impacts on climate change, we must understand the natural impacts too.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So could it be the natural factor that helped answer as to why the ice is melting instead of just the human factor?

news.yahoo.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

So could it be the natural factor that helped answer as to why the ice is melting instead of just the human factor?

Welcome to the 'real' world and reality.

It has always been natural causes whether it's the sun, magma or the natural cycle of the planet.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by 4thDoctorWhoFan]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
How long will it be before Dr. von Frese suffers an ad hominem attack, and is accused of being on "big-oil's" payroll?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
From the OP link, Ralph von frese also says:

“Where the crust is thicker, things are cooler, and where it’s thinner, things are warmer,” von Frese explained.

And some thoughts accurred to me...

What if the oil we take out of the ground, acts like insulation in the earth?

And what part does oil in the ground play, if any, to the Techtonic plates?

I mean, we humans use it for grind right? could oil be the earths grind, and could lack of it in the earth, cause earthquakes and Tsunamies, by the plates going "roughly" against eachother instead of "smoothe"?

If anyone have knowledge of this please let me know.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

From this other article I read and linked (in the Arctic melting thread) the researchers aren't too sure yet.

Earth's heat adds to climate change to melt Greenland ice

The researchers don't yet know how warm the hotspot is. But if it is warm enough to melt the ice above it even a little, it could be lubricating the base of the ice sheet and enabling the ice to slide more rapidly out to sea.

I wish I had a link to the actual paper instead. All this journalists adding their opinions to news is mucking up the truth, either way it turns out to be.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i'll add this for you guys to go over.. there has been alot of discoveries of volcanic activity around the arctic in the last few years..
check out this arial view of a volcano spewing up through a glacier.. thats probably a fast way to melt ice... have a volcano under it..

www.iceagenow.com...

new topics

top topics

join