It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush Talks Openly About Past Alcohol Addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

President Bush Talks Openly About Past Alcohol Addiction

www.drugalcohol-rehab.com

In an interview with ABC News, President Bush talked openly about his past alcohol addiction. According to President Bush, “I doubt I’d be standing here if I hadn’t quit drinking whiskey, and beer and wine and all that.”

He went on to say, “Alcohol can compete with your affections. It sure did in my case, affections with your family, or affections for exercise.” Bush stated that he gave up drinking after a night on the town celebrating his 40th birthday in 1986.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, this is an honesty not often seen in the world of politics. I applaud him for his openness. Hopefully, it will have a positive influence on our youth.

www.drugalcohol-rehab.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
He quit in 1986? I thought it was further back then that. At any rate, this was interesting. Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You mean the story about his wife telling him to choose either her or the Heineken?
I don't know if thats even true.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ironically, this is a great public relations move for Bush.

Bush has been vilified by everyone. Democrats and Republicans both seem to be distancing themselves from this self-diagnosed "War President", and it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that he could go down as one of the worst presidents in history. Grant it, history has a way of altering our perceptions.. and maybe we'll know something then that we don't know now.. but either way, one can only assume that Bush is not going to go down as one of the better American presidents.

So what can he do?

Make an effort to personify himself in the media. Talking publicly about an alcohol addiction is a great way to do so. I view this as a public relations move, because when your the POTUS, how can anything you do not be a public relations move?

But I do applaud him for it, and I do think it is important for people to speak open and honestly about addictions they battle. We all have them, just some of us have worse than others. Very rarely have I praised this individual, but I give him kudos for this.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's a Shame he gave up drinking In my opinion. If he'd carried on drinking he might have been dead by now and the done the world a massive favour.

Long live Bush. Not.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Originally posted by chissler
But I do applaud him for it, and I do think it is important for people to speak open and honestly about addictions they battle. We all have them, just some of us have worse than others. Very rarely have I praised this individual, but I give him kudos for this.

Agreed. Discussing addictions can be a very cathartic experience for the confessor, and a very powerful, emotional experience for the audience, especially if it is the first time someone has discussed it.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Very good for him to discuss this. Regardless on how I feel about the man personally, the effect of the POTUS openly speaking about something like this, and further unwrapping an often hidden addiction/recovery speaks well for him and will hopefully add strength for those recovering to know that even a leader of a country can be just as human as the rest of us.

Thanks for bringing this article up, jsobecky.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So does anyone know if this is before or after 1986? Looks like it was after to me.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by KidOK]

new topics

join