It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questioning my own beliefs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
For the longest I haven't believe in god. However I'm starting to question my own beliefs. I find it hard to figure the answer out.

If there is no god how did we all come to be, out of nothing? Out of emptiness in the dark space. I find it hard to think, some how some kind of particles appear, blow up then we have a few rocks, or planets.

Then, All of a sudden, bacteria, germs, and whatever else we may have, starts combining and forming life.

But how would some spirit, or force somehow come into existence and all of a sudden be able to create things, out of the dark space where there was nothing to begin with?

These are some of the things that I ponder about everyday now. In some cases I'm thinking: "Well it makes sense for their to be a god." But then again, "Well, how does it make sense though? How could he appear out of nowhere?"

The big bang theory can be a viable explanation, just as well as a some sort of soul/spirit or what have you step into the darkness all by himself, and start creating things.

I know as long as I am good to other people, help those in need, and risk my life for another's, I am fine, and will figure out the truth when I am gone from this earth, and possibly to a better place.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by jca2005]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i think about the same things homie

it's in our nature

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

I know as long as I am good to other people, help those in need, and take my life for another's, I am fine, and will figure out the truth when I am gone from this earth, and possibly to a better place.

Sounds like you have found the best religion around, your own. I don't follow the reasoning of "my religion is better than yours". Newer religions are just morphed version of the older ones.

Everyone -----------

Use the quote above to live your life by. Stop following the mind washing nonsense out there.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

Nothing wrong with questioning your beliefs. The time to worry is when you stop questioning. Some days, I'm at best a deist. Other days, not even that.

It ebbs and flows and on my very best day, I'm not 100% rock-solid sure about much of anything.

But I am fairly sure, no matter what, the best thing you can do is to do the best you can do. And that's either good enough, or... it isn't.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There is much comfort in believing in God.

When you see man's inhumanity to man; you can rationalize that it's God's will and just feel so much better.

No guilt, no responsibility, no problem....

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jca2005

There is no problem with questioning your beliefs, that is more honest than being one of those that claim to have all the answers imo.

mojo.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
We didn't come out of nothing. The universe has always existed, though not in this form. Our solar system, because it has heavier elements, is the product of at least two previous supernova events. It didn't "just happen."

Bacteria and germs didn't "just" appear out of nothing. Early organic molecules were nothing like modern sophisticated microscopic life.

I recommend you go through the articles at Talk Origins Archive. Especially the one on abiogenesis.

I'm sorry to sound sort of heavy handed here, but the more I learn about science and the origins of life, the less respect I have for the superstitions that have kept scientific advancement back for the past 2000 years. If it wasn't for religion and belief in an invisible friend we would be a lot further along in our own advancement by now, perhaps even on our way to colonizing another star system.

I've just started reading the End of Faith by Sam Harris and he is really opening my eyes to some things I hadn't considered. Such as, religious tolerance as defined and demanded by religious moderates and even religious liberals is what allows religious fundamentalism of the most destructive type a place to flourish.

I have lost all patience with religion and am coming to believe that the world would be a much better place if it would go away entirely.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The world truly would be a better place without religion, but it wouldn't magically snap man into enlightenment and a "new age". The being of man hasn't changed at all over the years, only style and technology has changed.

What rule would men be measured by? What would be done to those who break the rule? Man has tried to climb out of his religious hole and onto the pillar of truth ever since he untethered his mind from truth to build his own reality, try his hand at sense and rationale. Man attempts to mirror truth in all his works, but when the mirror is rippled, the reflection, what is emitted is distorted and separate from the object he is mirroring.

The artist can mirror an object perfectly, the mind if it cannot even identify truth, mirrors itself.. there is the loop, when two mirrors are facing eachother, no ground is made.

We set up new governments(truthful, controlling bodies) to replace flawed ones, over and over.

The mirror is what is flawed! The societal mind of man himself.

A frayed brush cannot paint accurately. We paint the canvas God weaves.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
God doesn't exist God does exist I hate religion it would be better without it I'm gonna convert you to Christianity using artistic words to make it vague and mystical by seemingly agreeing with someone by saying religion needs to be destroyed but in reality I don't consider Christianity religion but the truth but I am not being arrogant LOL! but it's really the same crap in a different package oh look it's the silly little bipolar Zionist Liberal Fascist Advancist Dianic Neo-Pagan who's loosing his mind oh no I'm such a Funi Jokurmanz™

I'M RIGHT YOUR WRONG OKAY LOL SEE IT FEELS GOOD TO SAY THAT

Anyway, to the OP, theres something, there might be, I suggest you just become a neutral agnostic until you find some clear proof, and don't let word's sway you, just be agnostic it's Fun©™ being a Fense Sittur™

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It is fine to question your beliefs. I certainly have many times in my life... However, don't let the opinions of others force you to change what you personally believe, regardless of what that may be...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
We didn't come out of nothing. The universe has always existed, though not in this form. Our solar system, because it has heavier elements, is the product of at least two previous supernova events. It didn't "just happen."

Well that theory to me just doesn't make any sense. I'm not downing you in any way buddy, but when I think about it, the universe had to be just sitting there black with a few crickets chirping in the background(lol). I mean how can rocks or planets or gas just appear and be there forever, and how christians, or other religions say a spirit appear out of nowhere and points his finger, and BAM!!! HOLY SHIZNIT BATMAN there's a planet! Bam! HOLY SHIZNIT BATMAN there's Adam and Eve! Lol, but anyways you get the picture.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
reply to post by jca2005

There is no problem with questioning your beliefs, that is more honest than being one of those that claim to have all the answers imo.

mojo.

Yes it is, and thanks for your reply. I wished others would think like that before actually choosing a certain religion. I am not saying that I am right, or better. However, people should think and question first, and then act.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
But I am fairly sure, no matter what, the best thing you can do is to do the best you can do. And that's either good enough, or... it isn't.

Hey man that's it. That's all we can do, is do our best. I like seeing alot of your replies across the board, as you seem to know what you are talking about most of the time.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost
Sounds like you have found the best religion around, your own. I don't follow the reasoning of "my religion is better than yours". Newer religions are just morphed version of the older ones.

Yes they are. I read about a few. They just take some from one and from another, and add to another, then add to theirs, and then bam! a new religion. Really their should be one religion, and that's your, or mine
. BTW, I meant to say risk my life for another, not take my life lol. But you knew what I meant.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jca2005
.. you seem to know what you are talking about most of the time.

That's very kind of you to say, but just for full disclosure, most of the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Caveat Lector.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
That's very kind of you to say, but just for full disclosure, most of the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Caveat Lector.

Lol, oh well neither do I. I just try my best, like I think you are doing
. Cheers mate.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
" a religion of your own "

" mind washing "

Son, whats mind washing about love God with all your heart and your enemies? The story of Jesus is about a loving God coming to his creatures.

But if you creat a religion of your (own)

anything goes. I believe in a car stealing religion that allows me to get as many cars as possible. it doesnt matter about THOU SHALL NOT STEAL because its my own rleligion.

You see the Moral code came from God. Us creatures are naturally evil, evil inclinations, selfishness and so forth..

Jcaa.

JC, please try and keep the faith, im begging you. I seen so many things, nobody knows about that doesnt come from knowwhere.

The complexity of nature, our bodies, Man and women perfectly fit each other, happiness, our thought of eternity, this stuff comes from God.

NOTHING cant do this good.

Read about the girl in my sig, she saw so many things as did 1,000s of saints as well as I, and try and keep the faith please, a great reward God gives for faith.
peace.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I agree with most people who have replied. It's a good thing to question your beliefs. I live in Utah, and these kids who are raised mormon usually loathe going to church, but their parents pound it into their heads so much that they pretty much assume that mormonism is the "right" religion just because their parents told them so. Not to put down any religion, but it's everybody's right to choose, and that requires a lot of self-examination and probably changing your mind a lot. So, keep questioning! One day you'll find your answer. :]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

I believe in a car stealing religion that allows me to get as many cars as possible. it doesnt matter about THOU SHALL NOT STEAL because its my own rleligion.

I meant base the religion on my thoughts of what we should do for each other everyday. I am not getting on my hands and knees to "pray" to someone every night. I am not someone's slave. And about that girl you were talking about in your sig. Until I see it, I will believe it.

Believe half of what you see until you get a closer look and know for sure, and believe non of what you hear.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
It isn't believing in what you hear so much, because when you hear something worth believing in and having enough basis to seem true enough to you, you will be naturally drawn to it, it all depends on your wants and needs at the time.. the one with no wants and no needs will want one who is truly supernatural because the world will already be his.
but yet no one owns the world so much as to feel the need for something spiritual.

in other words..

what we see as spiritual today and yesterday is anything but spiritual, and the word itself is polluted, the worldly is here, but theres a dust on it that we have claimed as our own, reality has been air brushed and no one has the wind to blow the dust off....
No one has sufficient faith in themselves and those who do, are backed by other mens words and have falsely built themselves up...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join