thinking about getting a supercharger for my impala

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
i have an 03 impala with about 50k on it....
car is in fantastic shape.

the past week or so i have been mulling over the idea of getting a supercharger for it and maybe a couple of other things. i would leave the body/paint stock cause i like what you would call a 'sleeper'.

the car looks stock but once you get on it, you're moving.

so lets say you had an 03 impala and some money to spice it up...

what would you do?

i am thinking supercharger and exhaust. let my baby breathe a little better.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wouldn't you have to upgrade the bottom end to handle the extra horsepower or is the stock engine strong enough to handle the extra HP? In a world of high gas prices, you are amazing!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

i am still in the thinking about it phase....i'm thinking i'd be ok though...
can't let gas prices run me you know

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Have you ever thought of going with a twin turbo setup instead? I've always preferred turbos to superchagers. Here's a link that explains some of the advantages of turbos over blowers...
www.hotrod.com...

You'll be able to save a lot more gas too, because you can change the level of boost as you please, and there is less boost being used while doing your daily driving.

Either way, thats gonna be one mean Impala!

[edit on 12/14/07 by AcesInTheHole]

six

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If you did this, would your tranny and rear end handle the additional torque?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

the only way i would have a turbo is if i bought a car like a GN that already had one. otherwise i have to ad oil lines from the turbo to the crankcase and such. with a super charger i don't have to mess with that.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by six
If you did this, would your tranny and rear end handle the additional torque?

transaxle you mean

it's a front wheel drive. i really don't know....i have been busy and have not been past the thinking about it phase yet.

this week i am going to talk to my master tech buddy and see what he thinks. then, i will scope out gm and aftermarket parts....see whats what.

i like turbo's but super chargers are generally more reliable, imo....
no oil problems

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Super-chargers actually rob
H/P by using a belt or some
other drive.

Turbo's use existing exhaust
to provide boost.

The extra time spent to install
the oil feed and return lines are
well worth it, in my opinion.

As for the trans-axle...

Chassis dyno it.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

i know how it works....donka though

six

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

lol...I did not know the 03 impala was a front wheel drive....I would agree with the others that turbo would be a better option. Well worth the little bit of extra time invested.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
maybe it's just me but i don't see a turbo being a better option.
screw all that messing with oil return lines and such.
supercharger would be just fine....a hell of a lot better than stock at least...nice little sleeper i would have.

a maroon impala with my makeshift zappa seat covers, and a super charger.....wurd

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Think about this.

You want a "sleeper".

A blower requires room.

A turbo can be mounted
anywhere, not just the engine
area.

Meh, your car, your coin.

Just offering my opinion.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Boondock, I would go with the blower setup. If you get a centrifugal blower it would be similar (not the same, but similar) to a turbo, and probably not damage your motor too much. Although, there are also positive displacement blowers that work all the time. In turn, this will destroy your motor eventually.

I myself am an Import man. I have myself a 96 GS-R and I'm planning on getting a Type-R motor with a turbo setup. Turbo's just fit better with imports, and blowers are more for American muscle IMO.

I would recommend you go to a shop or make some calls around to see what type of bottom end setup you will need to make sure you don't throw a rod or shoot a piston out of your block. Your car is a v6 right? There should be bolt-on kits for your Impy. Look around and feel free to U2U me with your decision or if you need help findin stuff.

Good luck!

-Droops

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DrOOpieS

yeah man, it's a v6....i am going to start making some calls and looking around..we have a couple bonus checks coming in and i am going to get a privacy fence put up and if there is enough left, i will probably go ahead with it

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Be very careful,my 18 yr old son has a 2000 Chevy S-10 with 58k,he put a supercharger on it,within 3 months he had to replace the bottom end,beef up motor 1st,otherwise you'll be tearing it down anyway,but wow was it fast for a while lol,I named it the green rocket turned 12.08 in 1/4

new topics
top topics

join