It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat Question: Bengals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, I bought him. He is a very smart kitty because he completely understood what was going on and wanted nothing to do with me.

I'm picking him up Xmas afternoon while the kids are with their dad, so he can have some time to settle in.

Absolutely gorgeous animal and HUGE. If he's only 7 months old, I bet he ends up somewhere near 15 to 20 pounds.

Once I get him home and he stops hiding, I'll post some pictures.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Oh congrats MM...

I had an afterthought regarding the bengals. My friend bought a play tower for them. He placed it in the lounge room so when he sits in there, they do too.

It is excellent, play area and scratching pole otherwise, they would have scratched and torn his furniture.

You might want to think about getting a scratching pole...

cheers

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Already got a kitty condo with sisal rope. I'm going to be watching Craigslist for a larger one.

I'm wise to the ways of cats. Oh, yes, indeed.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Can't wait for pictures! He's as big as my meezer... and he probably won't stop growing for a year.

How exciting! What a gorgeous little boy!

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, I got him yesterday.

He's been hiding behind the couch since then. Last night, after I put the kids to bed, I turned off the lights and lay quietly on the couch watching Bones and House. He came skulking timidly out and started sniffing around.

He hid all day today, with brief sprints into the living room on his way to somewhere else. But after my daughter got out of her bath about fifteen minutes ago, he came out from behind the couch and looked us over, and he's finally gone into the kitchen and I hear him eating.

He's still shy of us, but he's on his way to becoming a member of the household.

My daughter, a Pokemon fan, insists we call him Skitty. So Skitty it is.

Once he's really comfy enough with me to let me take some pictures, I'll post some.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
he is a beautiful cat can't wait for some pictures

i've never owned a cat but i could imagine he will be very shy for some time. my grandmas cat has known me for 7 or 8 years and it is still very shy around me. he only comes out and lets me pet him when my grandma is in the room. but hes a strange cat, like others have said in this thread, every cat has its own personality

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
MM, for a small price you can get a toilet training kit for your cat so he learns to stand on the regular dunny and do his biz in there. all you need do is flush for him now n then.

just like in ?meet the parents?

its basically a few different size dunny seats to give him a stable spot to stand until he learns what to do, then you down size the rings as he improves.

ill see if i can find the info.

edit: here it is, the litter kwitter

[edit on 27/12/07 by Obliv_au]

[edit on 27/12/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thanks, OA, I have toyed with the idea of doing that, but I have a toddler boy and leaving the toilet open is a rather dangerous thing to do at this point in time. I may do it after he's old enough to respect the loo.

At the moment I have the second best thing, a non-electric self-cleaning litter box like this one. I am VERY impressed by it. I cleaned it this morning and no scooping, easy and fast, and much cheaper than the electrified ones that can actually scare the cat.

RD, I've had cats all my life, so I know how to let them be until they're comfortable. Last night I got out one of the new cat toys (feathers and a bell on a stick) and he came and played with my daughter and I until he was panting. I had read that Bengals were athletic and energetic, and that proved it. It took us about 30 minutes of intense activity to wear him down, and even though he was panting so hard, he still wanted to play.

He's currently dashing from cubby hole to hidey hole and inspecting us on the way by, so it's only a matter of time before he settles in. My 2 year old isn't making it easy.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
All righty! Prince Skitty came out to play this evening, and I took some movies on my digicam. Then I gave him catnip ...

I'm going to attempt to link through to the video in my Photobucket account, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to run over to YouTube and see how I upload a vid (never having done it before).

Here goes ...

[edit] Nope, that didn't work. Giving YouTube a go:

[edit on 27-12-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Looks like Skitty is doing just fine MM. What a beautiful cat & a Great video! I'm so glad you got him.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Me too! he's not big on being petted yet, but I have a feeling that will change once he's been neutered. he's too macho to let us stroke his soft fur.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Is THIS the vid MM?

Cheyanne and Cody and PRINCE SKITTY.

Apologies if it isn't.

I tried.

~Ducky~

p.s. for some strange reason, videos have been popping up as 'black screen lately' on my puter. when others posts vids; appears the same. i'm wondering if i'm the only one having probs with the
bb codes? hmm

[edit on 28-12-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I've 're-started' my puter, and NOW I can see pics.

MM?

The vid that I posted?

Was that your vid of Prince Skitty?

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
That's the other vid of the cat, Ducks. The first one I finally worked out how to post. Well done on finding it!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
After I took Prince Skitty in for his distemper booster, he regressed and wouldn't come out from behind the couch or have anything to do with me at all. This was on Sunday. I could tell he was getting really depressed.

So yesterday I decided to go to the animal shelter and get him a "pet."

Meet Phantom:

He's also 8 months old, already neutered, and a VERY friendly little kitty. He's also very vocal. He slept with me last night in between bouts of getting to know Prince.

Speaking of whom, he growls like a dog -- I've never heard a cat make noise like that. He's not very impressed, but he's also not depressed anymore. He's interested, has come out and pursued Phantom all over the apartment, and allowed me to pet him like a normal cat last night. He even came out this afternoon. Perhaps it's jealousy of my attention, or perhaps he just needed to see that I could be nice to a cat before he'd trust me, but we're getting along better.

There was lots of growling and hissing last night, but nobody was wounded when I got up, so I figure in a couple more days, they'll be friends. They both have vet checkups next week. I am not looking forward to trying to catch Prince again. He fights.

I had no idea, but apparently people are prejudiced against black cats and white cats and these animals have a harder time being adopted from shelters, which was one of the reasons I took a black cat. He was also already neutered and microchipped, which helped with the decision.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I love both your little kitties, MM. I've heard about the prejudice against black cats and white, always struck me as silly, not to mention most unfortunate for the kitties involved, if its not a "nokill shelter".

Glad you're happy with your kitties. Enjoy 'em, kitties are great people...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Phantom is a biter. Not hard, but my daughter got up to play with him in the middle of the night, apparently, and he came to my bed and started gnawing on my toes. Not impressed.

But Prince actually touched noses with him this morning with no growls. I think the joint play sessions are breaking the ice.

My two handsome kitties: the leopard and the panther.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A Happy Ending

They've become friends after several days of hissing and growling. Playing with the laser pointer really broke the ice.

Prince now lets me pet him, he's accepted me as his 'bean' and I get the most lovely purrs out of him.

All's well that ends well. Don't they look gorgeous together?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I think I would like to get a Causie. But it seems the breed is well going byebye.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join