It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Source website validity. Opinions???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure whether this topic will have been covered, but I've just been looking at another thread based on classified information retrieved from a website, and read the thread which looked all viable and well presented. When i checked the link, it kinda shattered that whole opinion.

Is it just me or can you tell which websites are gonna be not so much truthful, but more believable? Websites which have the likes of miracle anti-aging cream or put inches on your penis as advertisements kind of sway me on their validity. The pictures and topics are really interesting, its just where the source material came from which makes me think 'ah, well... wtf?

Does anybody else feel like that? The really interesting things on this site are backed up by less than convincing sites. Just wanted to see what everybody else thought about it really, whether it bothers them where the source information comes from?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
After a few years here, I just fail to see the advertisements. Literally. It had to be pointed out to me by someone else that there are whole columns of advertisements going down the sides of the page.

I personally know that websites don't have a whole lot of say as to what specific adverts are displayed, and that's why I generally don't let what ads are being shown affect my opinion as I cruise around the web. But if I didn't know that - or if that belief is wrong - then yes, I would hold a site in lower regard if it offered me a longer penis "in just 2 weeks!!!"

If you have a problem with a specific ad, then you can post in this forum and they can remove it. I know that happens a lot with ads that have audio, and it's only the banners that start screaming at me that actually get me to notice them . . . at that is not a good thing for them.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Longy4eva

Originally posted by Longy4eva
Is it just me or can you tell which websites are gonna be not so much truthful, but more believable? Websites which have the likes of miracle anti-aging cream or put inches on your penis as advertisements kind of sway me on their validity.

You bring up a good point. Can a site be judged by the ads it carries, or even moreso, by past articles?

I think you do so at your own peril. I'm sure that there are sites out there which are totally bogus, but they are rare. There's always the chance that you may find a pearl of wisdom at any site. You have to judge each case individually.

Here at ATS, it is popular to denigrate Fox News, for example. But Fox News actually has some very good programs, reporters, and analysts. Many of the people in the news industry make the rounds through several networks throughout their career, so what you see at any given time is just a snapshot of their talent.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Can a site be judged by the ads it carries, or even moreso, by past articles?

There is a very simple solution... Never take only one source as 'fact'

Most websites take articles that they are interested from official source, news networks or other websites. In MOST cases the original source is quoted...

So if you find a story that is of interest, take a little time to search it out for other sources...

If there is only one source... well your on your own

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Good points, glad people understand! I was worried people would be thinking "Advertisements have nothing to do with the content". I know that they don't really control the content to an extent, but it makes you wonder, why doesn't the likes of the bbc website offer me100 viagara tablets for £5?

Zorgon, I see what you mean about the taking any one source as 'fact', but when it comes to the less mundane articles on the net, eg. ufo sightings and whatnot, with there being so many articles floating around the net, it's more effort than it is worth to find a site that hosts an article based on another's.

What brought it to my attention originally was a site i was looking at about ancient Demonology and its fact/fiction, most of it claiming fact. Probably this may be very superficial on my part, but the site looked as though a 14 year old had stuck it together during I.T class, and i must admit it did make me unsure about how reliable the source material was.

Again, others may be able to look past that, and I wish i could, but if someone wants to be taken seriously, they'd know that Wordart isn't the way to do it!

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
Zorgon, I see what you mean about the taking any one source as 'fact', but when it comes to the less mundane articles on the net, eg. ufo sightings and whatnot, with there being so many articles floating around the net, it's more effort than it is worth to find a site that hosts an article based on another's.

Perhaps but some of us take that effort..

But in that case there is a really powerful LAZY PERSON tool close at hand...

Simply post the article on ATS and see who finds more info on it... You will be guaranteed to get both sides of the story... Many times when I needed help digging something up I just posted looking for opinions and it was either debunked or it led to a lot of interesting stuff...

But once in a while you just have to take the eyewitness at face value

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Tis True, suppose you're right. You'd think sitting on my arse all day in work doing absolutely nothing for 12 hours would give me enough time to research more claims on a specific topic.

WRONG!

Sometimes the result just doesnt' seem to be worth the effort, although if it is i'd do it. These days it's very difficult knowing what to believe and what not to. For example, i was reading an article about this thing called a Tesla Shield, which allegedly improved your aura, making you heal faster, be happier, better dexterity, basically improve YOU. And there's me thinking Final Fantasy was just a game

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva Tesla Shield, which allegedly improved your aura,

You want to know how to heal your aura... look for a Tibetan Lama or adept...

Save your money

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Tbh, getting a puppy always helps your aura. happy people, happy auras

Maybe donate to a charity?

If i wanted to use electricity to help my aura i'd sooner stick my finger in a socket, saves the money

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Longy4eva

will this help? i guess this makes it easier to stick your fingers into sockets.

more info and image credit:
Artemi Lebedev

[edit on 1.2.08 by toreishi]

Mod Edit: New Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Jbird]

top topics

join