It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Clone Red Fluorescent Cats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Scientists Clone Red Fluorescent Cats

www.itchmo.com

South Korean scientists have cloned cats that look reddish under ultraviolet light by modifying a protein gene to change their skin color.

The team at Gyeongsang National University produced three Turkish Angola cats possessing altered fluorescence protein (RFP) genes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.koreatimes.co.kr
afp.google.com

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Of all the places to stumble across this story, it was on I Can Haz Cheezburger. I was wondering where all the weird pictures of glowing cats came from in the LOLcat builder and found the link on the front page.

I wonder what the long-term effects of this will be on the cats, if any? The pictures on the various news sites are quite interesting in a superstitious, lookit that devil cat glowin' kind of way. I suppose they could be Photoshopped, considering the faked cloned human stem cells by Hwang Woo-Suk.

I wonder what kind of virus makes skin change color like that?

www.itchmo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Hounds - er I mean cats of the Baskervilles!

Scorpions glow under UV and buzz lightyear has a glow in the dark suit. Wonder when glow in the dark pets will be available.

Never lose your new Glow Glow Turtle!!

MonKey

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I just can't figure out what the significance of red fluorescence is to cloning other types of cats.

I thought cloning was cloning. You can do it, or you can't do it. Unless they're talking about using stored leopard DNA to implant in a cat egg or something. Though how a 10 pound housecat is going to gestate a leopard cub bigger than it is, is beyond my comprehension at this point in time.

Mee-ouch!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

i posted this story in alt news cause i figured it fit.

the article i posted from said that the flourescent protein could help treat human genetic diseases.

i think this is good. i am all about cloning.
i think that 'could' be THE answer to a lot of problems. either by cloning pieces and parts or cloning people....

i know ethics and morals are going to come into play but who's moral compass to we follow? everyone's is different...

i have a feeling though it will come out of a certain book

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So true, BD. And I don't think the book will be Peter Raven's Biology.

I just read a really stunning book that eviscerates intelligent design, Atheist Universe, by David Mills. He makes a case that, if it weren't for the interference and condemnation of the church that we may have cured cancer by now and have been on the moon much sooner than the 1960's. The suppression of scientific advancement because of the invisible sky fairy has done humanity a great disservice throughout the past 20 centuries.

The more I learn, the more I agree with him. Great reading, I recommend it. I got mine off Amazon.com.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
. He makes a case that, if it weren't for the interference and condemnation of the church that we may have cured cancer by now and have been on the moon much sooner than the 1960's. The suppression of scientific advancement because of the invisible sky fairy has done humanity a great disservice throughout the past 20 centuries.

thanks for the recco major. i have been needing a new book. was gonna go to barnes and noble this sat. i'll see if they have it.

i would agree that we would be much further ahead when it comes to medicine/science if it were not for the church and it's interference.

one more thing i dislike about the man with the sandals. one more thing i don't like about the people that follow the man with the sandals.

sad thing is, his followers(most religious folk) still suppress or at least try to suppress certain medical advancements.

look at cloning....
morals/ethics come into play and where is the baseline for those? in the bible of course.

we hear th eole 'playing god' argument...it is silly and sad at the same time.

lives CAN be saved. we should be all over this as far as reearch goes. who knows what diseases we could cure/prevent with advancements in cloning and stem cell research.

man do i loathe religion.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
How weird is this!?

Didn't they do glow in the dark mice a while back?

*searchs*

Yeah!

Here's a link to the story:

Japanese Researchers Create Glow In The Dark Mice

And video:

Glow In The Dark Mice | VIDEO

So how do the two methods differ?

Why do the cats glow red and the mice glow green?

Oh wait, they modified the cat's protein, but they added DNA from a jellyfish to the mice.

Let me know when they can do designer colors, now that'd be cool!

Especially if they cross-breed them with the hairless varieties, so you won't have to shave them to get the full effect!

So we set a bunch of these mice and cats loose in a darkened room, shave 'em all first so they show up real good, and then turn on the UV lights and watch the chaos ensue.....no....that's just wrong...:shk:

It'd be way more fun to shave a bunch of fundamentalists, paint 'em fluorescent colors, turn on the UVs and set them lose in a darkened room.

I don't see anything wrong with that scenario!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
LMAO Goosdawg! I'd pay good money to see THAT.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

At least i can see em to kick em in the dark.

j/k.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That is cool! Imagine no more turning the lights on while you and your other half want to have fun in the bedroom.
I can see it just fine honey.

That's if humans ever get the gene.

[edit on 12/15/2007 by Solarskye]

new topics

top topics

join