It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Mysteries of the Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I was reading through some science news articles and found this short informative read. All of the following questions we have asked ourselves one time or the other, to contemplate things such as death, aging and what makes us do what we do when we do it, kind of thoughts.
Sciences today don't have all the out right answers, but it is not from a lack of effort by the inquiring scientifical minds.
In lue to the above contiplations, here is a somewhat good explanation of what we do and don't know as of right now......

Check it out, let me know what you all think of the probable assuption's from the scientists that are regarding to find the explanations...

Source:

www.livescience.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Numbers 1,8,9 and 10 are the ones that really intrigue me. I'm not sure they will ever really have a clear cut explanation for 1,8,10...

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Iam not sure about alot of thign's in life, but the way that I see it, "IF you don't ask question's, you'll never know anything."

When I was younger, I used to be quite the partier, and was always curious of why I felt the way I felt from the particular chemical/liquid I was partaking of.Just so happens to turn out that one of my friends became a pharmacist and he laid it on the line for me.

Synapses, electro-nuerons, misfiring synapses and the effects on the spinal and brain fluids. It was very informitive, shortly after figuring it out by what my friend had told me, the craving's and the desire eventually subsided to vertually no consumption of any type of self induced "false" feeling states.

I heard there is a new drug on the "Magic Cure" list for addictions, but it seem's that just finding out the reasons for feeling good from taking those types of things and finding out what they do to me, I guess that was enough.

No more "Higher effects" from that time on, mind is a wonderous thing..

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

A nice list! I would say that #1 (consciousness) is the most intriguing mystery of the mind.

It's very odd, but I just discovered tonight a whole thread on this subject in the ATS "Research" forum, and I spent about two hours reading that forum. I also wrote a detailed comment to that thread. But when I posted to the thread, I got an error. (I guess I can't post to that forum -- how frustrating!)

Check out the section on "Consciousness Research", in the "ATS Research" forum. It is very high quality stuff.

#

Basically, what I wanted to say about consciousness, in my ill-fated post, was as follows: we need to separate consciousness into two different aspects: "thinking" (which is a type of processing) and "feelings" (which are independent of processing.)

By way of example, the feeling of "addiction" you spoke of -- hey -- no processing required there. Addiction (like any pain or pleasure) is something you feel -- not something you think!

I theorize that "feelings" exist as some physical property of the universe, independent of the brain, probably experienced by all physical components of the universe, and probably something that continues on after we die. Being a natural phenomenon, feelings can probably be attributed to some undiscovered physical phenomenon, such as a side effect of the future resolving itself into the past, or maybe something that will be explained by quantum mechanics.

If feelings are independent of processing, maybe rocks and trees have feelings. Certainly dogs and cats have recognizable feelings, just like humans do. Maybe the universe itself has feelings.

In brief, that's all I was compelled to say. Whew! One less thing to worry about.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Buck Division,

I do see your point of your explanation, but I could niether verify or deny your assumptions of the "Feeling's" being a physical or universal aspect of experiences. I am not a quatum physists.

I do , however, believe that there are different instances where they seem to become one, and that leaves the open air for the answer of being absolute and not deluded in refferance and context of the issue of feeling's being either physical or emotional. They seem to lean on each other in a strange dance of intriguing thought and acknowledgement of the moment this occur's.

Though there are known studies done of the "Tree Feeling's" inquirie, I am not sure that the scientists and bautinists(sp?), are able to say that they truly feel emotion like humans do, or animals for that matter. There have been studies that show increased growth rates for quieter and more pleasurable atmospheres for plant life, and the opposite showed results as well, but that could be simply written off to enviormental interferrences. If you look at the list above closely, the realization is "They all feed and die from each other."

Good post though and worth the read, there are very many suggestions to the effects of physical emotion and mental adaptation, so you could possibly be right on all accounts, I personally am not so sure.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

A nice list! I would say that #1 (consciousness) is the most intriguing mystery of the mind.

It's very odd, but I just discovered tonight a whole thread on this subject in the ATS "Research" forum, and I spent about two hours reading that forum. I also wrote a detailed comment to that thread. But when I posted to the thread, I got an error. (I guess I can't post to that forum -- how frustrating!)

Check out the section on "Consciousness Research", in the "ATS Research" forum. It is very high quality stuff.

Firstly, thank you for the compliment...
That was the research thread I and my cohorts devised.. Secondly, you can't post on research threads unless you have the "scholar" label. If you're interested, you can't let one of the moderators know of your interest in the Research forum...

[edit on 13-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

join