It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Spy Machine of DARPA's Dreams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

A Spy Machine of DARPA's Dreams

www.blacklistednews.com

The Pentagon is about to embark on a stunningly ambitious research project designed to gather every conceivable bit of information about a person's life, index all the information and make it searchable.
The embryonic LifeLog program would dump everything an individual does into a giant database: every e-mail sent or received, every picture taken, every Web page surfed, every phone call made, every TV show watched, every magazine read.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
www.defensetech.org
www.geeknewscentral.com

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
How about this government project. i have heard of plans for this, but this is the first i have heard of the actual name of the project.
Is there actually any chance that any of us will be able to live a normal private life again?
What did the US citizens do to provoke our government to spy on us. i though we had to spy on the dangerous foreign countries. It seems to have become a high priority of this administration to find out every little tid bit of info on its own citizens. Do we deserve this and can it be stopped?

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I need to read more about this before I can comment too much but, if the report is accurate, it is, sadly, not surprising.

Control the information and you control the population. Ask anyone who has ever had their identity stolen or been the unfortunate victim of a bureaucratic mix-up. Access to information or information retrieval is an ever-growing source of power in this digital world. Especially one driven by marketing, polls and statistics.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
i think it would be foolish to think that this hasnt been going on atleast in smaller ways for quite a while. imean atleast when you buy certain magazines or make certain inquiries on the internet. it could have gone on for quite a while and noone would know.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This has nothing with the Bush Administration and everything to do with the would-be-dictators who want to control the world.

I say somebody with the means to do so just blows the source of this project to smithereens. If something of that nature and magnitude is actually built, the time for debate, legislation, and trials has passed. And no, this isn't suggesting illegal activity - it's suggesting that somebody put a stop to one.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

I definitely believe that this has been going on for awhile. We just haven't received the formalities on it yet. Information is also gathered through the wonderful UPC barcoding system. That is one of the easiest ways to keep records.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

yep... I agree with both of you...

Nothing NEW here, maybe only more "advanced"...

Have you guys ever heard of "False Implementation After the Fact"?

This is when they pretend to be in the process of implementing something new (such as a new form of control or a new form of technology), which has, in fact, already been secretly implemented by them. Thus, for example, if a certain false implementation is ever discovered by a conspiracy theorist, the conspiracy theorist will waste his time forever trying to stop the introduction of something that actually already exists.

False implementation after the fact is somewhat similar to the "limited hangout" form of deception. A limited hangout is when someone voluntarily confesses to committing a small crime in order to cover up their real crime.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

"LifeLog aims to compile a massive electronic database of every activity and relationship a person engages in. This is to include credit card purchases, web sites visited, the content of telephone calls and e-mails sent and received, scans of faxes and postal mail sent and received, instant messages sent and received, books and magazines read, television and radio selections, physical location recorded via wearable GPS sensors, biomedical data captured through wearable sensors, The high level goal of this data logging is to identify "preferences, plans, goals, and other markers of intentionality." [1] The DARPA program was cancelled in 2004 after criticism from civil libertarians concerning the privacy implications of the system.
Emphasis mine.

Although the program has been canceled, they are probably still working on something similar.

[edit on 12/13/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
and other markers of intentionality.

... you're looking at it right there, the future of your country. Arrests based on the fact that you happened to like the same magazine, or website that a known criminal likes.

Intentionality.

I know the project was scrapped in 2004, but the fact that they pushed hard enough for it that it made the news tells you they still eagerly want to do this.

Todays monitoring systems only begin recording if you are already under suspicion, or speak certain flagged words. Basically it's too hard for humans to look through every citizens information... however, an automated system like the one mentioned is feasable.

I make it a point every time I call a friend to say quite clearly "Infidel", "Bomb" and "Al-Qaeda" in random places, just so I can force the automatic recorders to start, and have some poor headphone jockey have to waste his time and listen to the whole recording on the basis that it might be something worthwhile.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I make it a point every time I call a friend to say quite clearly "Infidel", "Bomb" and "Al-Qaeda" in random places, just so I can force the automatic recorders to start, and have some poor headphone jockey have to waste his time and listen to the whole recording on the basis that it might be something worthwhile.

that is the funniest thing I have heard in awhile. I am going to have to try that sometime.

I agree with you. this database is a very feasible thing. We are in the technological time period for it too. They will just slap a new title on the project and it will get started right where it left off.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I've always been partial to: "Hi Jack! How are you? I'm feeling rather plain today myself," and the ever-hilarious, "Our President is the bomb!"

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The latest : As reported by Time Magazine, Giuliani’s private consulting firm, Giuliani Partners, received a $6.5 million windfall for helping a tech company called Seisint Inc. land government contracts for a massive data-mining program — a system the firm said could help fight terror by using supercomputers to store “billions of pieces of information from public records.”

giuliani partners, Inc.

Here we go already. Using the cover of protection from potential terrorism. Who did or are they going to get information about now? US citizens or foreigners that they think are linked to terrorist organizations?

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I think you can forget about the "foreigner" idea. In germany recently around 30 citizens were being target of covert surveillance, bugs.. cams.. possibly even IT surveillance. Gladly the Supreme Court declared those actions illegit since setting a couple of cars on fire during a protest cannot be seen as a terroristic, but only a "criminal" act. They were suspected of belonging to a terroristical organization because some cars on a demonstration were set on fire. All of the suspects were released without charges. There was no proof whatsoever.

And the laws for preventive data-mining has already passed a while ago, despite all of the criticism from citizens, politicians and data-right experts.
All phonecalls, E-Mails, Electronic Info is being "preventively" saved for a timespan of several months or more. Meanwhile journalists even have to meet with whistleblowers in a café, because any other form of contact would bring them in great danger.

This shows once again how the loose definition of "terrorism" serves only as a purpose for control. And if you look at the other side, where terrorism or vital parts could really be secured; A german TV show prooved how they could get into cargo and closed areas of a major german airport easily.. by copying cheap access cards.

But I guess as long as one is not criminal he has nothing to fear.. and total surveillance is ok. If terrorism isnt really prosecuted either and there are no real facts and efforts behind the political argumentation.. aw well.. who cares, doesn't matter either. (sarcasm)

(post by Darshan removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join