It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capital Letters Seriously Taken as Yelling??? I Don't Get It.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Does anyone really take offense to someone typing in all caps?

I was just perusing the imdb comments and ran across a few people saying something along the lines of, "Gosh! We can hear you. No need to yell at us.
)

Do people really become offended/saddened by someone typing in all caps?

How serious do some take this whole "netiquette" nonsense?

I do know that some people with bad eyes (my mother, aunts and uncles being a few of them) type in all caps so as to be able to read the words a bit easier. Would these people be looked down upon in most forums for this?

If this is in fact taken seriously by enough people so as to have become a "rule" in many forums, what does that say about us as a society?

Jasn

Mod Edit: cap title
Jasn Edit: Applied proper capitalization.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by kinglizard]

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
According to Internet etiquette, those who post in all CAPS are yelling.

However, sometimes we need to change the font so that we can be heard.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN???

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
According to Internet etiquette, those who post in all CAPS are yelling.

YEA I GET THAT, I JUST THINK IT IS STUPID!!!!!

Perhaps stupid is too strong a word, perhaps silly is the correct one.

I, personally, think it speaks horribly upon us as a whole. Especially people that seem to take it to heart.

It's capital letters. How bad can that really be?

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hey Simius....stop yelling!

I hate all caps, but the thing I hate the most is extra wide threads.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

Since you hate all caps, perhaps you could provide me with a legit reason for one not liking all caps or taking them "personally" as yelling.

I'm not saying that anything you have said thus-far isn't legit
, you just didn't provide any reason for not liking the caps.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I just think it's annoying, and not as easy on the eyes. But I wouldn't go out of my way to complain about it

And why do you like all caps?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

I don't, in case you didn't notice hehe.

However, as I stated above, many people with "bad eyes" have a VERY hard time reading even what they are typing without the caps lock.

Where my confusion comes in is with people that HONESTLY take offense to it as it they are truly being yelled at.

That takes net involvement to a level that I do not quite understand.

Your reason (not easy on the eyes), is a valid one.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
iI DON'T GET IT EITHER, LMAO

ok i guess that it can be considered yelling in some cases, but it can be considered as non-yelling in some cases, too.

i've seen people typing in caps in all their posts and they did not get a ban hammer nor the warning, because it can be cool, though. or it is.

it's whatever, though haha

w0ot

[edit on 12-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
NO,BUT WHEN NOOBIES COME IN WITH NO GRAMMAR OR PUNUATION AND ADD A BUNCH OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND
LOTS OF SMILIES COUPLED WITH AD HOMINEM, CONDESCENDING ARGUEMENTS IT SURE IS ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When people do that do you become offended? I sure do and I just pop them on my ignore list.

[edit on 15/12/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Im not offended by it but i prefer reading properly spaced and capitilized words and sentences. Is that weird?
Some of the ones i see that post like that a lot i think they are pissed because their posts arent getting the attention they think they deserve, and by then typing in Caps it only reinforces my opinion that what they have to say doesnt deserve my attention.

But then i'm freaky like that.

PEACE SIMI!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
If you can't read the size of the font that the site is using hold CTRL and move the mouse wheel, this makes all the font bigger or smaller depending on which way you move the mouse wheel.

Using all capital letters is viewed as shouting on the internet, I personally find it more difficult to read sentences that are composed of just capital letters. Not only is it unnecessary but its also commonly used by people who want to draw attention to themselves, often because their posting is of poor quality (thus ignored) or they have d-ego issues.

The use of all capital letters is also not permitted on ATS:

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

[edit on 15-12-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I always look at the contest of what is being said before I determine if the poster is yelling or not. I know that some people just prefer all caps, my mom plays net games in rooms where everyone uses all caps. Also I have friends who work in offices where some of their projects need to be done in all caps, so a lot of times they will post myspace bullitens with all caps between projects.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
no offense to anyone, but personally, i find that CAPITOL LETTERS are normally used by dumb people or blondes, take your pick.

Also, Talking Like This annoys me to the point i want to die! if you are going to use any capitol letters, please use them in correct grammar.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolita_Lollie

What are capitol letters?

By the way, I like your avatar

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
i can't answer your question...this may seem a little out there, but to me it's along the lines of why do people consider "swear" words bad? i swear like a sailor because i don't have any real reason not to. i don't even care if my kid swears. i don't believe that god will send me to hell for it, because i think god doesn't care and hell doesn't exist. i do recognize that as a society, it's on the edge of taboo to utter a "curse". so i filter myself in public. the same applies here. use caps on your own if you like, but society (the internet community) generally deems it inappropriate for general conversation.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolita_Lollie
no offense to anyone, but personally, i find that CAPITOL LETTERS are normally used by dumb people or blondes, take your pick.

Also, Talking Like This annoys me to the point i want to die! if you are going to use any capitol letters, please use them in correct grammar.

Whats your take on those who dont spell words like Capital correctly.

j/k

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
ROFLMAO

Capitol letters, and cup of wine and thou.

Who said that? Shakespear?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We use caps on forms at work, for ordering and invoices and such.
I'm going to guess it comes from writing, in writing yelling is often represented by caps, or caps are used to add emphasis.
If you want to be nonconformist, go ahead and type in caps, it bothers my eyes personally, and I imagine some folks'll ask you to use normal alpha letters, before ignoring you.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolita_Lollie

Speaking of correct grammar... You need to capitalize the start of each of your sentences, your I's and spell CAPITAL correct in this context. Bah just being difficult.

Ordinarily, I never use capitals to communicate but rather to put emphasis on certain words.

But how would you suggest we yell through the computer if not in capitals?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Some idiot early on in the formation of the web

DECIDED AND DECLARED

THAT CAPS = YELLING.

And everyone bought into it.

I think it's absurd.

It could JUST AS EASILY MEAN, = in this nonverble medium

1. pausing for effect
2. a tone change for effect
3. raised eyebrows
. . .

BUT NOOOOOO!!!!

IT 100% ALWAYS 100% HAS TO = YELLING.

SHEESH. How silly.

It's a social construct. It could be changed

But mods et al here on love that social oonstruct

They bow at it's altar all the time.

It's a major excuse for haughtiness and one-up-manship.

They won't give that up easily.

but, hey--FEEL FREE to use ALL CAPS WITH ME ANY TIME,

I read them better from 3 feet from my monitor with aging eyes.

top topics

join