It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC: 'How Bush Became a Government Unto Himself'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

MSNBC: 'How Bush Became a Government Unto Himself'

rawstory.com

President Bush doesn't like to veto laws," Abrams began. "He doesn't have to. Since he took office, he's been attaching conditions to laws already passed by Congress, allowing him to essentially disobey the will of Congress and dramatically expand his own power."

Bush has issued 1100 signing statements -- almost twice as many as all previous presidents put together -- often completely reversing the intended effect of legislation. For example, when Congress voted overwhelmingly to ban torture, ..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.truthnews.us
www.democraticunderground.com
www.libertypost.org

How Many Laws Has Bush Broken? - MSNBC Video

[edit on 12/12/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Why do our Representatives in "The House" and our Senators in Congress let him get away with things like this?

Signing Statements actually are instructions, written or attached to Bills the president passes, have previously been seen as instructions on how the Executive Branch should interpret the new legislation. The article says that, "typically no one outside the executive branch even reads them". So, it's a surprise to the Legislative Branch when they find out that pieces of legislation they got passed doesn't or won't do what it was intended to do, due to Bush's, ... yup, you got it, "signing statement".

The problem starts with these "signing statements" when Bush starts using "signing statements" to change the way the Bill is suppose work and what it is suppose to do. For example:

... when a bill required the Justice Department to report to Congress on the use of the Patriot Act, Bush added a proviso that he could override this requirement any time he thought necessary.

As stated above the quote, typically nobody besides the Executive Branch ever reads these "signing statements". So, here we have the Legislative Branch of the government THINKING that they just got a great piece of legislation passed by Bush, but little do they know, he wrote in a "signing statement" that, more or less, gave him (Bush) the power nullify the power the Bill was giving Congress anytime he wanted to.

So, what he is basically doing is becoming the Legislative Branch also by changing bills, or at least how they are interpreted, without the knowledge of the Legislative Branch. What Bush is doing is changing the meanings of bills into something that he wants, not what the Legislative Branch wanted!

So, now we have a President who is the Executive Branch AND the Legislative Branch!

Of course this is totally against the the US Constitution.

When will enough be enough and the impeachment process start?

*This is a good video that can really help you understand what Bush is doing with these "signing statements"! - How Many Laws Has Bush Broken? - MSNBC Video*

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Are we, the "fringe", at last becoming more powerful? Is MSM starting to pay attention? Ask the hard questions? Dig for the truth?

So it would seem. Not all of them, and not with the speed we would want, but it does seem to be happening.

Maybe there is yet hope.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A Nazi is as a Nazi does. The Fourth Reich has sucessfully high-jacked America and the general populace isn't even aware.

When Bush started setting himself up as supreme dictator of America, 1 out of 5 journalists went wild with outrage and began blowing whistles as loud as they could. It just wasn't enough. The populace is still clueless, and as soon as the next catastrophe is orchestrated, they're going to wonder where Bush got the authority to declare martial law and seperate families, throw dissenters into prison and have them secretly executed as terrorists etc...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
HEY im new and just wanted to know how to get a pic on my profile

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Found a little more info on "signing statements" here:

Signing Statement (United States) - Wikipedia

A signing statement is a written pronouncement issued by the President of the United States upon the signing of a bill into law.

There is an ongoing controversy concerning the extensive use of signing statements by President George W. Bush to modify the meaning of laws. In July 2006, a task force of the American Bar Association described the use of signing statements to modify the meaning of duly enacted laws as "contrary to the rule of law and our constitutional system of separation of powers".

There are three purposes a President can write a "signing statement", the way Bush has been writing them falls into the Constitutional Category;

Constitutional: asserts that the law is constitutionally defective in order to guide executive agencies in limiting its implementation;

In recent usage, the phrase "signing statement" refers to 'Constitutional'-type statements that direct executive agencies to apply the law according to the president's interpretation of the Constitution.

Bush has used this, signing statement more than ALL past Presidents combined.

Previous administrations had made use of signing statements to dispute the validity of a new law or its individual components. George H. W. Bush challenged 232 statutes through signing statements during four years in office and Clinton challenged 140 over eight years. George W. Bush's 130 signing statements contain at least 1,100 challenges.[6] [10] In the words of a New York Times commentary:

And none have used it so clearly to make the president the interpreter of a law's intent, instead of Congress, and the arbiter of constitutionality, instead of the courts.

Who needs the rest of the government, we have Bush! (sarcasm)

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here is what another source has to say about Bush's "signing statements":

Bush Challenges Hundreds of Laws

President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, ''whistle-blower" protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.

So basically what Bush is doing with these "signing statements" is saying Congress can get him to pass bills into laws, but he doesn't have to obey these laws!

[edit on 13/12/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I believe the technical term for what Mr. Bush is doing is fascism. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree afterall, eh?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
www.democraticunderground.com

Man .. this 'source' is worse than World Net Daily. Seriously ... ya' might want to use something else next time.

On the topic - I'm a Dan Abrams fan. When I saw that the title of this was MSNBC complaining .. I figured it was that Olberman whack ... but since it's Dan Abrams, I'll give it more weight.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Can't imagine a "Nazi" leader with a black woman aka Condi Rice would be sitting next to him. Not to mention kissing each other on the cheeks.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
to all those who voted him in.....

you got what you deserved !!! enjoy your new USA.

I did not vote for that boob or his father and I will NEVER vote for a Bush.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
to all those who voted him in.....you got what you deserved !!!

Kerry would have been worse. The choices in 2000 and 2004 stank.
Bush was the lesser 'bad' of the two.

2008 looks like better choices.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Are you expecting another election in which Bush is running again?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That's not the point. Even those of us that did vote for Kerry did so because what we were in fact doing was voting against the Bush administration. Not just Bush but the whole Bush cartel. Just disrupting their agenda for 4yrs would have been progress.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Are you expecting another election in which Bush is running again?

Ever hear of Jeb Bush ??

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

to all those who voted him in.....

you got what you deserved !!! enjoy your new USA.

Just so you know I voted for Bush the first time....and I feel dupt! He has lied and committed one violent act after the other since he has been in power. Not a very good track record for being a supposed man of God. I was taken in by what he was saying he was going to do when he was campaigning for President.I feel lied to....saying we deserve it is a little immature on your part.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Kerry would have been worse. The choices in 2000 and 2004 stank.
Bush was the lesser 'bad' of the two.

2008 looks like better choices.

are you kidding me ?? Kerry or Gore would have been FAR better than MR. Dictator himself.

All the Bushes care about is money and oil and worse of all POWER.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I feel lied to....saying we deserve it is a little immature on your part.

Next time do your homework BEFORE you vote. I always check out a candidate's history BEFORE I vote so you can too.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

Ever heard of his interest in the job? It was NO.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Ever heard of his interest in the job? It was NO.

So he says for now.....time will tell though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join