It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranoia (Anyone know about helicopter travel patterns?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Let me first tell you, this is probably nothing, just something that shook me up a bit.

If you know many of my posts, you know I live in a very rural area. There is nothing going on around here at all. I live in a quiet neighborhood development with maybe 50 houses. Its a big dev. for a small area. Anyway, the reason I am posting this in the ET/UFO forum is because I figured many of you who have seen ufos may have seen a lot of air traffic after, or because many people here know about aeronautics.

SO here we go. I was in the bathroom washing my hands. I hear and feel a rumble. I figure it is the washer or dry in the next room, then I realize it is MUCH more powerful and there isn't anyone else in the house to turn it on. I realize its above the house. As I leave the bathroom I hear a helicopter sound, but louder than what I am used to. It had to be close, I'm not sure how closer, but for a second I thought it would land on the roof. Needless to say, I froze up for a minute, but then gathered my composure and walked outside. By this time, the copter had quieted a bit, all my cats ran inside frightened, and the copter was cruising away from my house towards venus in the sky. It was too dark to see what kind it was.

As I gather myself, I begin to look around. This copter wasn't alone, there are about five more, two above a town close to mine, two above a mountain range miles behind my house, and one ahead of the one that tried to blow my house away. The two above the mountains were only helicopters to me because they were very slow moving lights, and I had to use my binoculars to see their flashers. All of these would move, then stop for a moment, then either take off or creep for a moment before they sped away. They were not using any type of pattern as far as i could tell, and they didn't seem to be going in the same direction. It just didn't seem like they were all after the same goal.

Let me tell you, I have NEVER seen a helicopter near this place, and I've lived here for 13 years. I went to college in Philly, and I saw them there all the time. As far as I know, the closest military base is about 75 miles away. I don't think they would be after a car, because they wouldn't send a copter after a car if there aren't any copters within 50 miles to use.

I guess my question is, does anyone here know how low a copter would have to fly to make a 3 story house rumble? What kind of copter could do this? What does it sound like they were doing? I live in central PA and they all seemed to go NNW eventually. Anything up that way that could be a clue?

Sorry if this is outside this forum, I just got spooked. Living in a tiny hick-town, helicopters are almost entertainment.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It depends entirely on the type of helicopter. A CH-46/47 is going to put out a LOT more powerful downwash than something like an MH-6 or even a UH-60. We've had CH-46/47s come over our terminal at 100+ feet and it sounded like the building was shaking.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Out of those, are they capable of sudden bursts of speed in a horizontal direction from a standstill? I don't think I've ever seen a copter fly as fast as the 2 over the mountains. They were hovering, not moving, then took off north about as fast as any small plane I see in the sky. It was really impressive.

Wow, checked out the choppers you gave me. The CH-46 is nothing I have ever seen before in person even. I have seen blackhawks many times over Philly, they seem to be standard at the base there (I forget the name). But I kind of want to get a Little Bird, that seems like it would be fun to fly.

EDIT : Clarified.

[edit on 12/12/07 by SantaClaus]

[edit on 12/12/07 by SantaClaus]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Little Birds are the ultimate gunship. Put a pair of miniguns on them and go blazing away.

Give me a better description of what you saw and I MAY be able to help identify it.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Helicopters still need time to react/move when they change their direction due to momentum.
But Im sure someone will jump saying "oh its a black ops super secret helicopter using advanced skunkworks technology" yea right, if they have that kinda tech we would'nt be dying from an oil crisis..

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ok just walked back outside and there are three more about the mountains going in the same direction as the last ones. They are flying really close together, at least in altitude. They have a red flasher only, and it seems to fire randomly, as sometimes it will rapidly pulse and sometimes it can go hundreds of feet and then flash again. They're moving pretty quick, but they slowed down at one point. I have no point of reference, but I'd say at their fastest they were going around 200 mph. Does that sound at all like anything you've heard of.

At a slightly higher alt. I see a plane going in that direction slightly fast, but not much. One non-flashing blue light and 2 red flash. Probably small commercial, we have alot of them.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'll get my telescope and get a better view. Thanks in advance for your help.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It's very difficult to judge speed at the kind of distances that it sounds like you're talking about. They could appear to be going close to 200mph, when in actuality they were going about half that. There are a few US helicopters that can get up to that kind of speed. The Blackhawk and Apache are two of them.

Both the UH-60 and AH-64 come in at 184mph as their top speed.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Where do you live?

I hear/see choppers every single day....we have an army base about 20mi from us...but they share our property (I live on an air force base).
They are LOUD and can rattle windows.

I loove their sound though.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Hmmmmmmm, I would turn on the news and see if there are any escaped convicts or criminals loose in your area. Stay inside and lock the doors until you know for sure!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Bah, nothing on the news. Can't see anymore out there either. Lots of shooting stars out tonight though. I mean A LOT! Saw like ten since the helicopter situation.

I'll be sure to give you a nice description when I get the chance. I set my telescope to "stalker distance" so I should get a good view.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Santa,

You are seeing the Geminid meteor shower. It is supposed to peak tomorrow night, so you might see an even better show then!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Santa, terhaps you've got a Doppleganger and they were looking for him?

Seriously though, what you've said just sounds like perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe get's that...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I can add a little if I may. The speed of a helicopter is limited. The tip of the forward traveling rotor blade cannot exceed mach 1 (The speed of sound) or a shock wave would form somewhere along the rotor blade and it would destroy itself. Since the blade speed keeps decreasing toward the hub the shock wave would merely travel down the blade as airspeed increased above mach 1 but never go away. Let's say the speed of sound (which is a variable) is 700 mph for our example. Our helicopter is at its designed full throttle and has a rotor tip speed of 500 mph. That gives us a difference of 200 mph. Now factor in headwind (-) or tailwind(+) . Let's say that we have a 25 mph head wind. Our example model cannot exceed 175 mph (airspeed). Actually it's a little more involved than that but you get the general idea.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
have you ever posted something that could be considered subversive ??

I have and now I get Chinook's, Huey's and Black Hawk's flying over my house all the time and I lived here 11 yrs without even one flying over but now it's weekly. Even my freind in the Army has noticed them around my house and wondered what was up.

I just go outside with my camera...take their pic as they fly over and I flip them the "bird" just so they know that I am watching THEM too.

it's nothing really....at least not until they land.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by timelike

Santa, terhaps you've got a Doppleganger and they were looking for him?

Seriously though, what you've said just sounds like perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe get's that...

Haha, well actually I am working on a pet-project of mine and was worrying about possible repercussions of it, but there are alot of people with the same goals, so why I am I frightened?

Larry,
The speed thing did occur to me, but I've heard Blackhawks can go 220 +.

Alpha,
Thats a worry of mine, I just have trouble believing in such a circumstance. I mean this thing was close, and I was the only person home all day. It was intimidating. I am certain that I am on a watch list, almost positive. My projects don't offer me much anonymity, and probably most people on these boards are watched from the time they register.

My only question is, when they do land in large numbers, will we be able to stop them, or submit to our government? They're here to serve US.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
As I said earlier, Blackhawks top out about 185 or so.

The rotor tips on a UH-1 used to be supersonic, which is why they're such loud beasts. As it flies you're getting mini-sonic booms constantly from the blade tips. If you look at the blades of a Blackhawk, or an Apache, you notice that they are curved at the tip. This slows them somewhat and keeps them subsonic, so you don't get the horrible noise that the Huey used to have. You could hear a Huey coming from miles away under the right conditions.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

They were not using any type of pattern as far as i could tell, and they didn't seem to be going in the same direction. It just didn't seem like they were all after the same goal.

I guess my question is, does anyone here know how low a copter would have to fly to make a 3 story house rumble? What kind of copter could do this? What does it sound like they were doing? I live in central PA and they all seemed to go NNW eventually. Anything up that way that could be a clue?

helicopters don't have to fly in any particular pattern, helicopters that are flying on a VFR flight plan only have to maintain 200 feet separation or visual separation with each other.

as far as how low one would have to fly to make a house rumble, that depends on the chopper. as you can see, im from dothan alabama. fort rucker is about 15 miles from my childhood home. Fort rucker is also the home of army aviation. it is where all the army pilots go to learn how to fly a chopper, and complete WOCS. so as i was growing up, flights of up to 20 UH-1's would fly over my house in the middle of the night at treetop level. it would shake everything sometimes...

anyways, as far as what you saw, could you tell if the looked like any type of military chopper? did you notice any insignia, numbers, etc? if not, what color were they? also, if there are any bases within 150 miles, that's enough for a military copter to do training if they need to, as all military pilots have to maintain currency each month. also, around built up areas (such as a subdivision within which you live) there are usually noise abatement ordinances, which basically means that any low level aircraft in the area have to pass over at a certain altitude to keep things like what you experienced from happening. maybe a group of pilots was just screwing around, i dunno, but i hope maybe i answered a couple of your questions

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thats really interesting. I get all my aeronautic info from wikipedia so its probably not very accurate, but it says the highest "recommended" speed for a Blackhawk is 222. But sonic booms? Thats pretty crazy.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The 222 mph is the VNE (Velocity Not to Exceed), or the speed at which it will tear itself apart. At 4,000 feet in 95 degree temps, the top speed is 152 knots, or 174 mph. At 2,000 feet in 70 degree temps, it's 159 knots, or 182 mph.

As for the sonic booms, it's ONLY the rotor tips that are going supersonic. They have to spin so much faster at the tip than at the hub to keep up that they're going supersonic, while in near the hub they're not spinning nearly as fast.

new topics

top topics

join