It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Petrino, college coaches and NFL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Weasel, quitter? or just did the right thing?, to me Im kind of confused right now and waiting for more details to come out, but what Im sure off is that this guy has no class or dignity, people has criticized their players but hey, its starts at the top. This guy is no better than the players that he had.

Another thing, whats up with college coaches getting BURN in the NFL? He is the latest college coach victim of the NFL, why cant they win no more? I'm beggining to think that Jimmy Johnson was a statistical fluke when it comes to college coaches winning in the NFL and I say winning, Barry Switzer basically won with JJ players so I wont even include him.

Is this the end of the line for college coaches being hired in the NFL? I think it will be for a while and when the next coach gets hired he going to have a buyout close if he decides to leave to expensive that many will turn it down I think.

I thought that the difference between college and pro-footbal was only about the skills and talent of the players, but its showing now that it also in coaching.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yeah, I think he's a weasel, but in his defense Michael Vick's situation set the team back years. Vick was the reason Petrino went there in the first place. They have an aging running back as well. That team's in big trouble.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I honestly don't know enough about him to call him a weasel. Nick Saban's a weasel (imo). There have sure been a lot more washouts than successes among college coaches going to the NFL. Lou Holtz, Butch Davis, Bud Wilkinson, Daryl Rogers, Frank Kush, Steve Spurrier, Pete Carroll, Dennis Erickson (off the top of my head) all had less than great NFL success.

Petrino seems to be to me, a guy who's just trying to maximize his chance for success. As the esteemed Doctor said, things in Atlanta are much different than he anticipated them to be when he took the job.

Look at My Man Cam Cameron in Miami. He sucked Big Time at our alma mater, Indiana University. I guess that was a contrarian hire - if he sucked that bad in college, he'd have to be a great pro coach.

Latest rumor I've heard is that he might be in line for the Michigan job. Which would astound me.

[Edit to correct Lou Saban to Nick Saban. Gawd I'm old.]

[edit on 12/13/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The "weasel" swipe was more about how he went about leaving and not really about Petrino as a person.

I wonder if Petrino could have been in line for the Michigan job as well, but decided to go to the better conference.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join