It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamer Arrested After Shooting Threat on Call of Duty 4 on XBOX Live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Cumberland Times reports that a Frostburg State University student has been taken into custody after an investigation confirmed that the 19-year-old gamer issued a threat of “shooting up the school” while playing Call of Duty 4. Shaw faces a maximum penalty of one year jail time and/or a fine of up to $5,000.

news.teamxbox.com...

I don't know, I mean I guess it was somewhat justifiyable, and with the current events of shoot ups it was wrong and callous of him to make this joke.... But.......

I don't know, what do you guys think?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Can you shoot people at a school in any of these games? If it was a provable, credible threat then I think a case could be made for action. On the other hand, I think a statement that was most likely not serious could make someone worth following up on but not grounds for prosecution. If you can be prosecuted for something you say being interpreted as a threat, there should be a high standard on the burden of proof, IMO.

BTW, has anyone who participated in one of these school shootings ever not played first person shooter games?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think that, considering the times, people need to think of any speech in a public place as akin to making a "bomb" joke in an airport.
If someone can hear you, don't do it.

Too bad he had to be taken into custody, but it's necessary to check for evidence of a planned crime and get a potential shooter help before people end up dead.

It's sad, but not as sad as if the the story read, "School shooter known to have made threats"

Like at Columbine :

(emphasis mine)

Students saw the signs. They saw the two with clubs and knives. Heard their essays and poems about suicide and murder. Heard Harris talk at lunch about blowing up the school.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore. Me and my friends would be doing time in Gitmo now. I remember my friend put a type of nitroglycerine paste on another friend's locker door....just as a scare. The "explosion" was only like caps going off, but I could just imagine what would happen today.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

If it was a provable, credible threat

But what is a provable, credible threat?

I could be wrong....and I will try and provide the articles that mention this....but havent most of these shooters talked about this stuff online, before doing it.

Were their ramblings any more credible then the gamer?

Its a think line.....but I think in this day and age and with the new technology of the internet...everything has to be looked at.

Damned if you DO...........Damned if you DONT

[edit on 12-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 12-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I agree that threats should be taken seriously, but I'm proposing that due to heightened concerns in the current environment, threats with questionable credibility should be reason enough to check someone out, while actual prosecution should require proof that you made a credible threat.

If any of the examples of real cases were simply investigated, the crimes probably would have been stopped. Adding prosecution wouldn't have mattered because the perpetrators could have been brought up on charges for their weapons caches alone. We call our freedoms "hard fought" for a reason, and IMO, we should not give them up for fear.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Further details...

The charges against Shaw are two counts of "disrupting school operations", akin to calling in a bomb threat. Even though Shaw didn't mean for it to reach the school the effects are the same. The charges are most likely a way to attempt to recover the cost associated with school lockdowns and police responses.

Charges filed against FSU student following Internet threat

Two misdemeanor counts of disrupting a school operation have been filed against a Frostburg State University student who allegedly made an Internet threat of “shooting up the school,” according to district court documents.
The incident prompted an immediate response from FSU, local law enforcement and the Allegany County Board of Education, which ordered its schools in Frostburg to be in “lock-in” status when they opened at about 8 a.m. In addition, the Eckhart Alternative School was placed on lock-in status and St. Michael School in Frostburg was made aware of the threat of violence at FSU.

State troopers from Allegany, Garrett, Washington and Frederick counties responded to the campus along with Allegany County Sheriff’s Office, Frostburg Police Department and FSU Police, which has an officer assigned to the C3I Unit.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by eaglewingz]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eaglewingz

In this case, it does seem like they considered it a real threat. It seems like one for a jury.

new topics

top topics

join