It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress passes legislation recognizing the importance of Christianity and Christmas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Congress passes legislation recognizing the importance of Christianity and Christmas

www.govtrack.us

Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.govtrack.us

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This has to be the most absurd thing that has made it through congress to date. Why the need for the government to recognize any religion's importance? And, why does it matter that it's important? What if it's not important to me, does this resolution make me un-American for believing that it's unimportant?

Can someone explain to me what this has to do with Anything, and why we're pying our congress to say "Yep, we like Christmas too"

www.govtrack.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Congress does this kind of thing all the time. It gives politicians the chance to say something people will like, while not being controversial. Does Congress still create national holidays like "national orange farmer appreciation day" or "national bus driver appreciation week?"

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Im a Christian and I celebrate Christmas...albeit more in the secular sense *gasp*.....and even I find this ridiculous!

I think they do these things to say "see, we ARE really working!" w/out really having to work

To Congress

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Doesn't that kinda violate "separation of Church and State"?

Isn't the Congress meant to not support or endorse any religion?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

That is exactly what I thought when I read this thread, it does violate the constitution but, as we have found out littler by littler the constitution no longer holds any value when it comes to our for the people elected politicians.

The are nothing but traitors to our constitution.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I thought they couldnt force a religion. I dont think it says anything about supporting or endorsing.

OK...just went and checked...from About.com (take it for what its worth)

atheism.about.com...

Thus, a more accurate phrase than “separation of church and state” might be something like “separation of organized religion and civil authority,” because religious and civil authorities are not and should not be invested in the same people or organizations. In practice, this means that civil authority cannot dictate to or control organized religious bodies. The state cannot tell religious bodies what to preach, how to preach or when to preach. Civil authority must exercise a “hands off” approach, neither helping nor hindering religion.

Thus, the separation of church and state ensures that private citizens, when acting in the role of some government official, cannot have any aspect of their private religious beliefs imposed upon others. School teachers cannot promote their religion to other people’s children. Local officials cannot require certain religious beliefs on the part of government employees. Government leaders cannot make members of other religions feel like they are unwanted or are second-class citizens by using their position to promote particular religious beliefs.

***Click on link for more...I just took a couple of pararaphs from it***

I find this a very confusing topic....because diff people seem to interpret what it means differently.

And does this mean, that all those cities and businesses and schools that dont allow Christmas celebrations/decorations, will be forced to allow it now?

[edit on 12-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
More from the bill (for those who didnt click on the link)

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Doesn't that kinda violate "separation of Church and State"?

Isn't the Congress meant to not support or endorse any religion?

The Supreme court says " a page of history is worth a volume of logic" when interpreting many Consitutional matters. For over 200 years, Congress and the rest of the American government have not been completely devoid of religion. For example prayers have often been offered at Congress, Bibles have been used to swear people into office or to swear in witnesses in courtooms, and religious texts like the ten commandments appear on government buildings. The Supreme court may rule that religion in governnment need not be hermetically sealed and government can get away with minor incursions like having Congress pass a non-binding resolution praising Christmas.

Another thing you are looking at from a legal standpoint is one needs standing to sue in U.S. courts. In order to have standing, you must assert that somebody has injured you in some concrete, substantial way. A non-binding resolution praising Christmas will not create an injury in a non-Christian or anybody who disagrees with Christmas.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It looks like an opening for more legislation to protect only Christians from other denominations of believes.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
More from the bill (for those who didnt click on the link)

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

And yet, they can't get enough support for ENDA? Sometimes I don't know if i should laugh or cry.

The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), is a proposed U.S. federal law that would prohibit discrimination against employees on the basis of sexual orientation. Currently, there are two versions of the bill:

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh, and BTW, if we want to get into the whole "choice" vs. nature thing, it's YOUR choice to be Christian.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Griff]

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Griff]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I used to visit GovTrak.us all the time....then I realized I was always getting pissed at all the ridiculous things they were passing or trying to pass....a complete waste of time.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The most interesting thing is that nowhere in the bill does it ask for special treatment or benefits for Christians, just that they should be recognized for being a big religion and that Christmas is "the most wonderful time of the year".

On that note, why not pass a bill saying that "A large pepperoni pizza is great while watching a football game"

We, the 110th Congress of these United States do hereby affirm that

(a) A Large Pepperoni Pizza (with or without stuffed crust) is a delicious treat enjoyed by many while watching football

(b) Appreciate that although pepperoni may not be the primary toping of choice, many Americans do enjoy it. As well as mushrooms

(c) A beer on the side (provided the consumer is of legal drinking age) is a nice treat too.

There is nothing to be gained other than making it an official standpoint of the US government that many people like Christmas.... and Pizza.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

On that note, why not pass a bill saying that "A large pepperoni pizza is great while watching a football game"

Are you sure they havent? I mean, they have passed some ridiculous things.....I wouldnt be surprised if that got snuck in!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not a bill or a law or "legislation", just a resolution.

Like declaring Ned Fuster of Pig Knuckle, Arkansas an all-around great guy, or something. I don't see this as any big deal, and certainly not anymore absurd than the majority of crap they spend their time on.

At least while they're doing this kinda junk, they're not doing any tangible damage to the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
IF they don't pass a fix for the ATM, because they've spent their time passing stupid bills like this one, can we sue...since many of us will be injured due to their complete unwillingness to get their act together and actually do something construction while they're on the taxpayer's payroll?

All the things that are going down the tube, and they waste time on this??

Can we fire them? PLEASE???

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

Can we fire them? PLEASE???

The sad thing is that . . . we did, we fire them and elected more of the other side .

But as everything in our nation our politicians are nothing than the same rotten group with different party lines.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A: I see a correlation between this and a projected low holiday sales year. Are they trying to bring the out the $holiday spirit$ in people? No one sees this?

B: Although they approached the line, there is nothing un-constitutional about this. The Constitution says King George cant made a Church of the US and/or ban any other church. Consider what was going on in the western world at the time the Constitution was penned.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
No laws passed so no constitutional violations.

Just more idiocy. The stupidity expressed by this congress amazingly enough rivals that of the President. Yet he still has almost twice the approval rating.

Happy Kwanzaa.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Something seems fishy about those stats to me, particularly the 3/4 of the United States being Christian... but I'm too lazy to look into it much. Wikipedia says 80% Christian o_O. I'm thinking it's much lower than both of those stats. Although it's anyone who classifies themselves as Christian, which would include the "Easter and Christmas" crowd, and people who haven't been inside a church in 3 years.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Yarcofin]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join