It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice runway axes Antarctic journey time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Ice runway axes Antarctic journey time
Australian scientists heading to Antarctica will have their journey time cut from weeks to hours thanks to a new air service using a runway carved out on 500 metre-thick glacial ice, it has emerged.
The idea of an air link from Australia to Antartica was first explored in the 1950s, but funding and logistical problems, as well as concerns about the environmental impact of a runway amid the pristine beauty of Antarctica, thwarted the project.

Although this is a great idea and enables much greater study of the antartic environment, what would the impacts of a twin-engined A319 coming in and out every 7 days be on the 'pristine beauty' of Antarctica? It is the last place on this planet that humans have no managed to deface yet, and yet here we are sending medium-haul jet airplanes in every other week.
But then, I wonder how much exaust the ships they use spew out. At least Russia has the right idea, using nuclear-powered ice breakers - not that that seems to be working at all.

Damn, we just can't help ourselves, can we?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
At least Russia has the right idea, using nuclear-powered ice breakers

Lol i am really disagreeing with you this week

Well anyway I think it's reasonable to use an air link in a limited fashion. I guess the problem really arises if it begins to widen in scope for commercial purposes and multiplied by all the other national bases around the continent. Of course there could always be ulterior military motives as well.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

it is funny you mention the ships.....stay tuned for a topic i will be posting this week all about the fact that ships produce as much if not slightly more pollutants than aircraft do.

and i agree it is the last undamaged place on the planet and here we are about to turn it into another `hub`.

snoopyuk

join