It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New weapon for prisons/police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I am wondering if anyone has heard of this new weapon that has been developed by the DOD. It is called a "Directed-energy" weapon.

The weapons, which deliver a beam of energy that feels akin to scalding hot water but leaves no injuries, have been developed for use by the Defense Department as a "force-protection" tool for use on battlefields overseas.

"Directed-energy" weapon

This weapon seems like it may be good for police to work. The article (linked above) indicates that it has already been used by the Defense Dept. I have never heard of this before. Where has it been used? How well did it work?

Now, Raytheon says, civilian law enforcement -- and "security organizations" -- may benefit from the technology, which the company calls a "truly non-lethal system" for situations when lethal force "may not be appropriate or warranted." While the final price is unclear, Heal said it cost his department $3 million for Raytheon to build a prototype

Funny how "security organizations" is in quotations. Maybe Blackwater should have thought of using this weapon before going to Iraq.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Just what we need. A weapon that causes intense pain, but leaves no mark or injury to show later. Let's arm all our rent-a-cops with this and see how sadistic they can be.

In the future, you can have "enforcers" that use pure pain to force people into complete obedience. And just wait till a few of these are sold/stolen, and end up on the street.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There are a bunch of threads on ATS about these weapons,

I would not want the military to have them and definitely wouldn't want local law enforcement to have these at their disposal.

I will do a quick check and post some links for you to check out this DEW (directed energy weapon)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I have to agree with you. I am definitely not looking forward to the day these things are on the black market and or stolen. It could be a very dangerous thing leading to whack-jobs thinking they can subdue anyone without causing them serious injuries. I wonder what kind of internal damage these can do.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

thanks. I am mostly interested in the government use of this thing. i will look at the ATS threads as well. thanks again.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here you go:

EXCLUSIVE: Directed Energy Weapons, An ATS Analysis & Discussion 2004 Intelgurl's thread with very good information on the development.

The perfect torture weapon? 2004 Thanatos' thread with some thought provoking insight

Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) and Targeted Individuals (TI�s) 2004 StarChild's thread with some good info.

US Military (DOD) Microwave Weapon Demo Video - Amazing! 2007 AllSeeingI's thread with a video demonstration of the military weapon.

I hope this will help you in learning of this weapon, I for one do not like it or support the use of this weapon.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I hope this will help you in learning of this weapon, I for one do not like it or support the use of this weapon.

WOW!!! You are right. After checking out some of the threads, i have to take back what I said about it being good for the police. Definitely not good for anyone!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There has been a great deal of controversy surrounding the use of these weapons, and a general reluctance to issue them. Personally, I don't see the big deal. Non-lethals are great. Yes, this weapons causes a burning sensation. So does pepper spray. Tasers hurt too. The point here is to stop aggression with less-than-lethal force. Can it be abused? Sure, but so can pretty much every other weapon or piece of technology.

And be nice to security guards. Many of them are hardworking, decent people trying to earn a living in a world that increasingly seeks to take more and more of one's paycheck. They get little respect but are called upon to stop dangerous situations. They do so without the legal protection afforded a police officer.

Let me ask you this: Would you rather have another mall massacre because no one wants to give security officers firearms, or would you rather them stop it with a directed energy weapon?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I agree, although they probably wont be implimented anytime soon. The cost of these things probably exceed what it would cost to arm them with tasers, which they don't do now anyway.

Good Idea though.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
When we invaded Panama to get Noriega we tested laser and microwave energy weapons on civilians. The weapons of course were on full blast to see the effects on the human body. I seen the video that showed a person who was hit with some strange weapon. They lifted the hand up and all you could see was bone and cottage cheese looking flesh falling off. It literally melted them. Imagine being microwaved, cooked from the inside out.

Google Video Link

[edit on 12-12-2007 by cloakndagger]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grozny07
There has been a great deal of controversy surrounding the use of these weapons, and a general reluctance to issue them. Personally, I don't see the big deal. Non-lethals are great. Yes, this weapons causes a burning sensation. So does pepper spray.

The effects of the MW beam on the victims include extreme weariness, headache, irregular heartbeat, diarrhea, painful testis, damaged nervous system and internal organs, burned skin and eye damage. Later effects include blindness, heart attack, stroke and cancer. In the last months by some victims, cancerous tumors have been diagnosed.

dangers of directed energy weapons

I have never heard of pepper spray causing tumors, painful testis, or damaged nervous systems. A line has to be drawn somewhere don't you think?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
does this mean that someone could fire this weapn on someone and becuase there is no injury of evidence they can not be blaimed

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Well, I've had the unpleasant experience of not washing my hands after using pepper spray and then going to the bathroom....so it does cause painful testes

Perhaps there does have to be a line, but I still think non-lethal means are better than lethal means. I'd rather have 100 people get tumors from it, if it meant that a thousand more weren't dead. Rather than killing people attacking our interests, we could capture them and find out what they know. Maybe it's only appropriate for it to be fielded by the military against the enemy, rather than used by the police against citizens. I think it makes a great deal of sense for prison security. Some prisons already have lethal electric fences, so this would seem a better alternative.

It will doubtlessly be abused, just like most other weapons. I think the good outweighs the bad here. As long as we don't point it at protesters on Pennsylvania Ave., I think the device is, unfortunately, a necessary evil.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just don't understand how non-lethal technology causes such an uproar. If the military or government wanted to control people, they have plenty of lethal weapons at their disposal. Think about it.

I don't understand the refusal to see the positive aspects(i.e. saving lives).

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Although I wouldn't want to be in a crowd when they turned this weapon on, I think I'd rather be shot with this then machine guns.

This is intended to difuse situations before they lead to further violence.

I can see where it could be used.

Think about the riots in Paris. A truck rolls up and beams the crowd. Once bitten twice shy.

I think that the crowds would dispurse rather quickly.

new topics

top topics

join