It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cookie Forgery Tools: This is not Good News!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
With some of the other craziness I read on this site, I was expecting this thread to be about counterfeit Oreos. Lol.

But seriously, it would be some messed up business if somebody turned your computer against you. I think cookies are completely harmless though, I've never deleted any of them and I have never had a problem. No money missing, no passwords stolen.
Its all good.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So far... no new news or analysis from the usual sources... just the one "news" item from one site. This is beginning to seem more and more like a new round of cookie FUD.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It won't be long until everyone blocks all but the most essential cookies.

I already do this using CookieSafe, a Firefox add-on. You can allow cookies temporarily, for a session, permanently, and block them permanently. So when I close the browser all temporary cookies are deleted. and all session cookies last until they expire. CookieSafe solved all of my problems concerning cookies. The only cookies that are allowed at all are the ones that I purposely configure my browser through CookieSafe to accept.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

Exactly what I do, I dont allow 3rd party cookies so I cannot be tracked by ad firms and only allow a handful of sites that I need to log into their forums.

Other than that, cookies are not needed for surfers.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So far... no new news or analysis from the usual sources... just the one "news" item from one site. This is beginning to seem more and more like a new round of cookie FUD.

Skeptic I think this "cookie tool" thing will be lower on the totem, as opposed to trojans, open ports, and script flaws exploited. I will take a closer look at this but I think that hackers will exploit the following before exploiting "cookies", unless they have some long term personal agenda.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I freely admit to being one of the paranoid ones.

I remove all cookies just before I shutdown ,u computer each day.

I use ccleaner to do so:
www.ccleaner.com...

NOTE: to fully clean the cache of web browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera................. you must close "ALL" browsers before running the ccleaner program.

I hope this helps all the rest of us who are paranoid about cookies and want them all cleaned.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What are some of the feelings on letting firefox or Google Tool Bar keep the passwords for you? It also allows the avg user to minimize cookie use.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
What are some of the feelings on letting firefox or Google Tool Bar keep the passwords for you? It also allows the avg user to minimize cookie use.

I let firefox do it but wouldnt touch google with a bargepole. i wouldnt even install their toobar, never mind use it.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I believe this exploit requires a lot a work so it would only be used to target a specific target (someone).

A site's cookie will get recreated on the next visit unless they are turned off or denied and the site page will operate without them. As far as being safe by deleting a cookie, not really as the damage is done. The cookie could be grabbed the first time it is sent from the bowser with the info in it. Deleting it later is after the fact. Of course then less trips with a cookie the less change of interception.

I don't think I'll worry much about this anytime soon.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
the person who created this "software" should be sent to jail for 20+ yrs....or beaten into a coma.

People who write that crud are worthless scum IMO.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well this is making me hungry and yes I am one of the Paranoid ones deleting every cookie before i turn off the computer

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't think it has been mentioned here, so how many of you are up to speed on your flash player cookies/settings?
www.macromedia.com...

I had some weird lurkers in there...
DocMoreau

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So cookies arent dangerous?

Well guess again!

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Sorry. But I'm not seeing the big danger here.

Maybe not now but if this is just the start who knows what else may be in store in the near future?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join