It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Scientist: The Artic is screaming - gone by 2012!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

i believe that the extra water is under greenland. in some thread a couple of months ago explained that green land is rising and actually gaining more land

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluess

You do realize that the Ice at the north pole is just floating on water, it by itself does not raise sea levels.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Again masqua, you understand better then some of the others around here. However, during the Medieval Warm Period there must have been the same type of melt going on in Greenland and the Arctic and we seem none the worse for wear. Cycles, cycles, cycles.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

The last few years preparing yourself for dying?
I believe that a lot of people, inside, are subconsciouly becoming more accepting of death, as you and I, because hidden deep in the collective conscience of humans and hidden in our collective ancestral history is the kowledge of what is about to come, like animals know before an earthquake.
An event that has happened before and before and before that, we all know of it, we make up fanciful stories of magical men and we pass it off as religion and myth. Even make up stories to cover the truth, for if society was based on the Truth, instead of these misconceptions it is based on today, it would have either ceased to funtion by now because everyone knew death was coming, or it would be intensely focused on survival.
Look for the common threads in everything, in every tale from every nation and every peoples past, see through the misinterpretations of ancients languages and vocabularies.
I suggest starting with the one civilisation that wasnt taintd with our idiocy until late, ancient mayan temples were only discovered in the 1900's, the remain from a civilsation that is thousands of years old, the people of the civilsation were very focused on astronomy and were so meticulous in their caculations and obsrvations that they constructed a calander that begins a over a thousand years before they built it and ends thousands of years after. Study up on these dudes, these were no primal savages, they weren't thick, they had a grasp on maths and astronomy that we only possess now. Put it this way, our calander is adjusted by one day every four years, theirs is adjusted by one day every 180 000 years! And that aint no # niether. It is ancient now and is still accurate within minutes of actual galactic coordinates of earth.
They based everything they knew on this time cycle, they say when the calander comes full circle and starts anew, so does everything else. They knew because their ancestors had seen it the time when it happened last, and so begun a civilisation based upon the truth about that event.
Exodus, Admonitions, Holy Bible all speak of it, greek, Scandanavian, Egyptian, Aboriginal, Mayan, Hopi, Maori Jewish, Sumarian and most other peoples belief systems all speak of it, ancient myths and ledgends abound with global catasrophy. And we scoff.
We do not understand that even though we are advanced, the Earth, and The Solar System and the Galaxy and everything in it, are very real things, and they go round and round, and every so often, when things get close, when things line up, when magnetic fields oppose, when celestial events are visible to ALL, catasrophy. It's in front of our face in all of the above. Blatantly staring.
Massive continent-changing earthquakes, intense storms and super volcanoes are on the forcast in every one of the above.
"The second coming", makes me think that Christ was a celestial event, the star in the sky, that will come again. The event (Christ) didnt "turn water into wine", it put iron in the air from magnetic disruption and the rusted iron turned the water redish and made you sick when you drank it. Misinterpretation, intentional or not, is throughout the tales.
Even though biased study isnt good, I suggest you study everything you can with the idea in your head that what I speak is real. Once you'veconvinced yourself try do study up and disprove it to yourself, you will see.
Look at the end date of the mayan long-count calander (known because the calander depicts astonomical positioning), the date is of course dec 21st 2012, look at what the alignment between our sun and the galaxy will be as viewed from Earth.
We are about to pass over the magnetic cortex of our galaxy centre, and thus our north pole will be pointing in the direction of galactic south.
Pole change time. Not good.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT
It's always been a bit of confusion for me, as doesn't ice 'contract' or take up less volume when it melts?

Water expands when it freezes. That's why pipes have a tendency to burst during winter and that's also why ice floats. Density decreases and therefore it floats over the denser liquid water.

It's a strange feature of water that makes it so special. If it didn't float as it cools, the Earth would freeze over since all the chilled water would drop down from the surface, instead of melting on the surface.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I think a few people here have explained. The arctic won't raise sea levels as much as greenland because greenland has ice on land whereas the north pole is made up of giant ice cubes :p

as for coastal reagions being drenched... I live in England and it's been a very wet year with a lot of flooding and when it's not been flooding it's been very damp most of the time. Now don't go and say that's normal for England, it's not

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The problem that seems to be ignored in all of this is what is happening to the land, as opposed to the ice.

As the permafrost across the Canadian and Russian arctic melts, many of the existing lakes and wetlands are disappearing. This has been documented already in both countries - the permafrost beneath the wetlands acts as a cork - as it melts, there is nothing keeping the water from entering the ground - and the surface water disappears.

What this means for wildlife is one thing. What this means to weather patterns is, IMO, the bigger worry. If these areas become substantially dryer in the summer months, they are large enough to radically change the weather patterns of Canada and the United States, as well as a good portion of Asia.

Food for thought, anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
yes global warming is real. I knew that 20 years ago. And Al Gore only proved it with 100% evidence in his film. however, what would happen if earth had no ice? would it get warmer? would the seas suffer? I think we are at the point were we don't really need ice poles anymore and we can do without. we are at the point where we could create fake glaziers right?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Whenever I read reports like this,it always makes me wonder if the reason the "free world" is going big brother crazy is in preparation for an event such as this.
Maybe the Governments secretly know something big is on the horizon and they are trying to install as many control systems before it happens.

If the melting ice does shut down the gulf stream,that would cause a massive drop in temperature in UK and parts of Europe,and would go on to have major repercussions for the rest of the world.

Chaos would ensue.Governments would try anything in their power to retain some form of control over us all.

It would be far from pretty.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

True that the permafrost melting does "soak" up more water, but at the same time it becomes a vastly more "friendly" enviorment for life. I would expect more life to flourish on actual soil rather than frozen ground. The moisture in the ground will evaporate and contribute to new weather patterns up there as well. The permafrost melting basically adds more water to the whole cycle where before it quitle literally was "frozen" up and isolated from the cycle. I am not sure that that is a bad thing.

The biggest thing with the permafrost melting is that it will release locked up methane into the atomosphere, which is a much stronger Green house gas, but not as long lived if I remember correctly, Melatonin could add more about this I believe.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
The biggest thing with the permafrost melting is that it will release locked up methane into the atomosphere, which is a much stronger Green house gas, but not as long lived if I remember correctly, Melatonin could add more about this I believe.

Yeah, CH4 is a much more effective GHG than CO2, but pretty short-lived. But it then converts to CO2, which is longer lasting. Residence times of something like 10+yrs CH4 vrs about 40+yrs for CO2.

These sort of positive feedbacks could potentially be devastating.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I don't believe this NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally and think the timing of the news release of his article is suspect in light of the Bali tax collectors, I mean climate change conference going on right now. I will offer him 20-1 in a gentleman's wager on the arctic ice being gone by summer 2012.

It makes me want to puke that my tax dollars go to pay "scientists" who put out this kind of alarmist propaganda.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is great, I just bought a boat......I can't wait for ALL the ice to melt so I can live on it.!!!!!

If all this ice has been melting for the last 20 years why aren't we under water?????

Where has all this water gone????

Who drank it all?

Because, you know, there are deserts and I think there are still droughts going on in parts of the world. HMMMMM.............

Maybe we could get some of this melted ice to some of those places we don't have any water and turn some of those deserts into farmland to grow more food to feed more people.....

Oh yeah!!! I believe Al gore "the man who invented the internet"

How many degrees in science does her have?

He's qualified how?

Oh yeah, "the consensus" that's right!!!

Al gore replaced "THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD" with "CONSENSUS"

I know, I know, there's tons of evidence, blah, blah, blah.....

This is biggest lie in the world!!!!

The only bigger lie than this is, "Don't worry baby, I won't _ _ _ in your _ _ _ _ _!!!!!!

Keep arguing...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Not that I don't care about the ice in the Arctic melting, it''s the ice on Greenland that causes me the most concern concern.

So you are doubly concerned?

This would be very bad for the nothern part of the world, As already stated it would take the gulf stream out of the ocean thus stop the mix and movement of warm and cold water and messing with the weather. I hope it doesnt happen its cold enough here in the UK as it is thanks.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfTom

Totally agree with you proftom, if in some way the glaciers on greenland completely melt, our earth is 7/10's water, there is so much, greenland is a big butt island but there is already soo much water, and if it has been doing this for years, wouldnt we see somechanges already in coastal levels? then another thing is, if soo many governments are SOOO worried about this issue, why are they all still building multi million dollar buildings right on the coast? wouldnt it be more prudent to build further inland? maybe global warming is happening, maybe global cooling is happening. Point being EARTHS TEMPERATURE IS NEVER THE SAME!!! its always changing, and has always changed. we are actually due for an ice age. past millions of years our planet has had one approximately every 15,000 years. we cant stop earth. cannot. what happens happens and we can just prepare

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I saw on the history channel recently that many believe that Alaska used to be a tropical environment. So maybe the earth is just on a cycle and this is all natural?

With that said, I guess it was fate we got orders to Colorado! LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

And Al Gore only proved it with 100% evidence in his film.

If it was 100% evidence....how come there are so many who can debunk his "evidence"?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Still believe in the global warming scam? Watch this:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think we all can agree that the world is going through it's changes. Whether man made or natural they these changes are happening.
Arguing about it will not change fact. I would like to know how scientists can distinguish between natural Co2 and man made Co2.

[edit on 12/12/07 by Rhain]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
...and so what if the ice is gone? The sea level rises a bit, a few low-lying areas get flooded.. and life goes on. Life will adapt - it always does.

If we shut down all our factories, stopped using any form of transport and stopped producing electricity RIGHT NOW, that ice will still be gone by 2012 (assuming that particular prediction is correct and isn't an alarmist prediction).

The bottom line is I'm not concerned about global warming at all (but don't think that means I don't care about our planet). We should be concentrating our efforts on not polluting it as much as we do (i.e. mercury in the seas etc).

reply to post by Terrapop

Are you saying you agree with or disagree with humans = global warming?

[edit on 12-12-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join