It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Scientist: The Artic is screaming - gone by 2012!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Nasa Scientist: The Artic is screaming - gone by 2012!

www.cnn.com

This week, after reviewing his own new data, NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally said: "At this rate, the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012, much faster than previous predictions."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There is that date again. Probably coincidental right, maybe, maybe not. For you to decide.

Best anyone can do when forcasting the future is education and preparation. What will happen if we lose the ice? Will the ocean levels rise as much as predicted?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/12/07 by Rhain]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This reminds me... didnt the Mayans call the new cycle we are entering "Aquarius"?

Better learn how to swim....did anyone see that old movie "waterworld"?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluess

Good plan. I think that is about the most you or I can do to stop it. I work from home so my car never moves. I recycled practically everything possible. I am trying to go solar for heat and other electrical needs. Now we face G.W tax. Sigh!

Edit - BTW I did see Waterworld, I thought I was the only one (I liked it too).

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
Will the ocean levels rise as much as predicted?

Of course not. North polar ice is swimming, most of it is under water already. I would worry when they're talking about the other pole losing its antarctic ice shield. That would serioulsy displace a cup of water or two.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akareyon

Will the ocean levels rise as much as predicted?

Of course not. North polar ice is swimming, most of it is under water already. I would worry when they're talking about the other pole losing its antarctic ice shield. That would serioulsy displace a cup of water or two.

I don't think anyone said North Pole ice melting. It the ice on Greenland that is the concern and that ice is on Land.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Edit - BTW I did see Waterworld, I thought I was the only one (I liked it too).

Me too. Loved it. Never understood why it got so slated. Thought it was one of Costner's best roles

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akareyon

Just how far would the worlds oceans and seas rise if the ice ALL melted? It's always been a bit of confusion for me, as doesn't ice 'contract' or take up less volume when it melts?

I thought the big point was that the warmer water expands and this causes the rise in levels, not the ice.

Please correct me and educate me.

I live on a hill overlooking a valley and the adriatic, so 50 meters of sea rise would greatly enhance our view, even though it would put the local supermarket out of business.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

From what I understand of the severity of this ice melting is that the introduction of this much cold water into the warm "ocean conveyor belt". This could stop the belt altogether which they say would lead to a deep freeze in Europe, like the coming of a iceage type scenario.

Source

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Brazil says amount of ice is INCREASING !
P.S. Can't we just make more ice?
Just throw liquid nitrogen on the north pole.
It should be environmentally safe.
Nitrogen is already in the air.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Throw the extra water on the planet Mars!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

aha, so it's not a sea level rise thing, it's a temperature/current/weather thing, like the movie.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The Arctic may be losing ice, but it appears that Antarctic is gaining everything they are losing. The only question I have is when all the ice ends up in the Antarctic is that going to effect the weight distribution of the earth? And if so, is that why the poles are going to flip,wiping out the majority of the earth's population?

Antarctic Gaining Arctic Ice

Edited to add link

[edit on 11-12-2007 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Not that I don't care about the ice in the Arctic melting, it''s the ice on Greenland that causes me the most concern concern. You don't hear much about that, though, do you? Way too scary.

It would be a tremendous amount of meltwater and the thing about glaciers, they can speed up their movements quite suddenly..

Scientists monitoring events this summer say the acceleration could be catastrophic in terms of sea-level rise and make predictions this February by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change far too low.

The glacier at Ilulissat, which supposedly spawned the iceberg that sank the Titantic, is now flowing three times faster into the sea than it was 10 years ago.

Robert Corell, chairman of the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, said in Ilulissat yesterday: "We have seen a massive acceleration of the speed with which these glaciers are moving into the sea. The ice is moving at 2 metres an hour on a front 5km [3 miles] long and 1,500 metres deep. That means that this one glacier puts enough fresh water into the sea in one year to provide drinking water for a city the size of London for a year."

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit to add story and link

[edit on 11/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It's not an excess of water drowning people you should be afraid of...

it's the millions of people dying of disease and thirst because of a lack of fresh water resources.

Due to the salt content in the oceans, not only is the arctic water now un-drinkable, but the lakes are expected to both take on allot of salt water, and those that aren't low enough to be flooded with salt water, will actually dry up due to precipitation patterns.

But hey, don't take my word for it, by the sounds of it, you'll experience allot of this in a matter of years.

Should be funny to see how many people still deny global warming when they're fighting wars for water.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well, apparently mother earth knows what she is doing. I have yet had anyone explain to me where all of this melted ice (added water) is going... By now, at least the coastal regions should be flooded out. Yet, they aren't. Do I doubt global warming? No. Do I think we should change our ways in regards to fuel and technology to help the environment? Yes. Do I think we all need to grow gills? Nope.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
That is absolutel horrible news. I was hoping to at least be finished with my degree before moving to higher ground. Not that higher ground would make any difference when there's famine and war for resources! And if the sea levels wouldn't rise then still it's going to get bloody hot with the oceans taking in more heat. I believe in runaway global warming so I think that the earth is going to turn very Venus like.

To be honest though I've spent the past few years feeling like I've been preparing myself for dying...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
the artic melting is little compared to antartica melting. our technology can let us distill water to purify it. also there is a specific method for cleansing salt water (i forgot what it is called). some countries use it in the middle east. also someone said that the great lakes can be contaminated. many years ago the glaciers that passed by left many lakes (use google earth and look above just chicago). and if it gets that bad then we still have our ground water.

i believe that it is our whole solar system is being affected these last 10-15 years by our sun. our sun has more frequently been producing solar flares. i dont mean to hijack this thread but the rabbit whole is just in view. it has to do with 2012 and changes to the solar system, sun, earth, man and civilization as we know it today. many civilizations predicted this a long time ago.

now i dont want people to think that i dont care about our enviroment. i do. i believe that people should take care of there surroundings and keep the world clean and preserved for future generations. but i also believe that our government exaggerates the extent of global warming and limiting it to earth.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This should be bigger news. The consequences of this happening are grave. If the greenland ice sheet melts millions of people will die.

If this is true action needs to be taken now to move people to higher ground. It would probably take longer than 4 years to do this anyway!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Where is all of this melting ice going? If what some of you are claiming is TRUE, then our coastal areas shoulsd have long since been inundated...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join