It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampires from the Caribbean

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Hi WW, haven't seen you around in a while. This certainly is an old thread, but I have to say that it has more than piqued my interest. While reading over the posts one thought did occur to me however the counting of rice, etc is often more indicative of fae as opposed to vampires. Perhaps you were dealing with some type of parasitic fae in human form. I dunno, just a thought. My best friends mother is from Trinidad, specifically Tobago, next time I get the opportunity I think I'll ask her if she knows anything about this.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I've been wanting to post this story somewhere on ATS for awhile. It concerns the tales of the vamps turning into small balls of light.

A very close friend that I grew up with told me this, we're separated by a lot of distance but still talk fairly often.

Her and another friend of mine were hanging out one night just driving around in the country listening to music and talking. My friend got out of the car to answer natures call and seen a ball of white light the size of a baseball hovering behind the car (20-30 ft I think). She said it didn't really bother her at first and got back in the car and asked Mark (the other friend) if he saw it. He did see it, they started talking about it and then got scared and left to get away from it. This was very late at night and to make a long story short, this thing followed them around all night and disappeared at first light.

Yes, there were a few beers involved but I don't see these two having a shared hallucination from that lol. She isn't into the paranormal or anything of the like and really has no reason to make this up and just isn't the type to begin with. I told her there are tells of these things being spirits of some sort but she didn't seem to like that idea and thought it was a ufo (which I guess it was in a literal sense). I don't know what it was but I've known her a long time and believe her.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I find it fascinating that so many different places and cultures have the same overall story of the old woman leaving her skin at night becoming a ball of flame or light to suck blood out of people.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i only joined this board to reply to this thread. I saw someone questioning why and old higue would count rice, one person said it's absurd and some else said this story is bs. I wonder why? is it because the peson idn;t talking about europe or the states?

Well let me say as a caribbean man we have LOTS of unexplained stories about demons and ghosts and that old higue (soucuyant) story is almost universal. Those things came about thru obeah (voodoo) practices, black magic. Some of these stories are just hand me downs from the colonial masters but some are VERY tru. I know it myself....

take care all. i'll be watching the boards.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My boyfriend is from georgetown, guyana. The old higue story is true he and his sister's were repeatedly bitten by one that lived next door to him. Now I am not sure about the whole taking off there flesh thing. But u must understand these "vampires" are a part of a voodoo religion, because of our lack of knowlegde here in the states about voodoo we may not understand what voodoo is capable of. But just like the story my boyfriends father lured the old higue with rice it distracts them some how but they cannot enter a house without counting the rice. But these people are very REAL! nothing to play around with. Carribbean countries are heavy with voodoo and satanic rituals and ceremonies you can believe it or not but if you talk to anyone from the carribbean, south america,or africa more than likely you will hear of many 1st hand experiences like this.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
thanks for the replies and additional tales about the Old Higue. Please do keep posting any new or old stories passed on about the old higue/hag/soucouyant as you come across them.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
you might want to read the book 'hunt for the skinwalker'.

Seems like in north america there is a similar phenomenon.

This family was also terrorised by glowing blue floating spheres.

These spheres are definitely connected wiht vampires in a lot of accounts.

Such spheres are sighted in Sri Lanka, nan madol.

The naga lights of thailand i think are interesting.

vampire legends are all over the world.

If you want to see some ancient physical depictions pls see thread on David Icke's forum under human race get off your knees. its about reptiles and vampires you'll find it.

On another note - remember the pink bubble in the wizard of oz that the good witch floats up to dorothy in?

interesting.

perhaps some form of alien transport?

given the proximity of the bermuda triangle to the carribean, these stories are v interesting.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Interesting...thanks for sharing that.

Some very different elements (like the fiery ball) than many other vampire folklore....

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Since you saw a fire ball at the house I would take the entity very seriously. The fire ball is not the old woman, it just lives with her. The fire ball is a wayward spirit creature looking for entertainment within its limited confines. The creature is the same being as the Foo Fighters of WWII.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

what you've been describing is very common across the Atlantic. Its origins vary from voodoo to Peganism. Its original name was the Loup-garou. Its french. the only ties it has to "vampires" is its fear of the sun and its desire for blood. typically it has never been human. vampires are beings that were once human that upon death were brought back to life by many different means. El Chupacabra isn't really a vampire either. It's just an animal that seems to like goats blood. the rice counting is very common in stories involving the loup-garou. they are known to be very OCD about numbers. you don't necessarily need rice or salt. you can have any number of small artifacts of large quantity outside any entrance to your home. the rubbing of salt on the inside of the loup-garou's skin is also unnecessary since sunlight will destroy the wayward spirit. All one needs to do is burn the skin or hide it from the spirit. its also a much more humane method of disposing the tortured thing. the loup-garou usually has its skin tied down to something connected to the earth like a tree or someplace with a threshold like the old woman's home. I've been studying vampire folklore for a few years now and this creature is one of the more mystifying ones. people have many many different names for the being. it doesnt surprise me that this posting has come up with so many. i know that this being is very old and that its existance is due to a partnership with a witch or voodoo priest or some kind of human being who meddles too much with the spirit world. i noticed that someone talks about the fae in one of the posts. thats a very common mistake to make. but there are a lot of missing aspects of fae culture in the myth of the loup-garou. the existence of a bridge or some kind of crossing mechanism from the world of the faery to the mortal world is just one example i can think of. also the fae are usually very mischievous but not outright harmful like the "Loogaroo" tends to be. i believe you may have stumbled upon something very real but possibly not quite as harmful as you would be led to believe by folklore. "Sacouyant" attacks on healthy mature human beings don't tend to do much harm. it usualy only when they go after the elderly or children that they cause death. before i go i must also comment on you noticing their tendency to me more active after colonization. You've got a good eye. that can mostly be atributed to the mythology or maybe even the practice of the voodoo or pegan beliefs and witchcraft. both pegan and voodoo remain to be some of the oldest religions on earth.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Please post more if you can this is very intresting.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
just watched the movie fright night, and the vampire from the caribbean is the basis. normally, i don't comment on such postings, but i do find it interesting. huge fan of "supernatural" the tv series, and sadly, most of my knowledge of such terrors come from that series. the sucking of blood vampire stories seem to be prevalent in many areas of the world. so much that one thinks there must be some truth to it, even if a small bit. we all tend to forget the extreme terror that is so absolutely real in the eyes and minds of a child. i often wonder if the sheer terror and absolute belief in monsters make them real.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Interesting thread.

I am from Guyana myself and I have lotsssssss of stories told to me by my mother and grandmother over the years. These include jumbie stories, Old Higue stories, masacura man stories, femade (mermaid), bacoo (short demon), moongazer (tall demon) stories, etc, etc.

I was always fascinated with these stories as a child growing up but have come to realize that many of them are just folklore but some are/were real experiences.

I will post some stories when I get more time.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Jaellma because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join