It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing P-8A Poseidon Testing and Production thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah that was a change that was confirmed last year that the needs called of the deicing and so the winglet was cut. The rumor that I hinted at was one that seemed to have been posted on FG but that I wasn't able to open. if some one else can try it and let me know their luck that would be great

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

It did not work for me either. For what its worth I do subscribe to AWST and do not recall anything about wing modifications.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well some news on the P-8 development and the Navy asking about deadlines. From what can be read and understood Boeing said they would reduce the time for first flights and deliveries by 1 year to the Navy when the contract was signed. Well now the Navy is asking and requesting that this happen. Full story in link

"We're working with the navy right now on a capacity analysis to understand what the possible rates out of the factory are," says Boeing Integrated Defense Systems P-8A programme manager Bob Feldmann. "There's a gap in capability that needs to be filled."

Boeing Commercial Airplanes vice-president P-8A Mo Yahyavi says the manufacturer believes it can build "18-24 airplanes per year" for the USN and international customers. The navy has ordered 108 aircraft for service-entry from 2013, to be delivered at a rate of 13 a year.

www.flightglobal.com...

Also mentioned in the article is that first power on to the first text P-8A development aircraft on June 9 08.

Lets just hope this project is one of the rare ones where it comes in on time and close too or on budget. So far the less news the better really.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
(Source: Boeing Co.; issued June 1, 2008)
Posted on defense-aerospace 2nd july

ST. LOUIS --- Boeing installed two CFM56-7B engines on the U.S. Navy's first P-8A Poseidon June 21 in Renton, Wash. The on-schedule assembly closely follows the aircraft's wing-to-body join and "power on" milestones.

Following final functional checks, the Boeing-led Poseidon industry team will conduct initial engine runs. Boeing will deliver the first test aircraft to the Navy in 2009.

Engine installation is the culmination of efforts by Boeing and partner CFM International to leverage Lean practices from commercial industry to maximize efficiency. Boeing Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) and Boeing Commercial Airplanes (BCA) are working together to build the P-8A, a military derivative of the 737-800, on a new final assembly line. The factory's third line takes advantage of the manufacturing processes and performance of the highly reliable Next-Generation 737.

More good news and another step forward

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Indeed its nice to see things "seeming" to follow along well for the program. Hopefully we will see interest from the DND in replacing (all at once or gradually) the CP-140 Auroras in the CF.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Similar news posted today by flight global.

The first of five flight-test aircraft will now be inducted into a months-long phase to complete systems integration ahead of first delivery in the first quarter of 2009.

www.flightglobal.com...

Can't wait till we see some images.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

New photo

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Awesome find Jezza nice to see it out side and a picture that shows a full angle of the plane. Interesting aircraft that at hight will make it harder to ident a mili civil aircraft for sure.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well some more news on this front.

The US Navy clarified today that it will order 36 Boeing P-8A Poseidons during the first three years of production, perhaps further opening the door to accelerating the in-service date by one year.

Also Low rate production is slated to start with lots from 2010 to 2012. The 36 will be ordered in 3 lots with 10,12,14 respectively. With $6.3 billion set aside already for this purchase it would bring each airframe to around $175 million.

Also of note:

An airframe fatigue crisis facing the Lockheed P-3 Orion fleet has recently forced NAVAIR to publicly consider accepting Boeing’s offer to accelerate deliveries.
Under the LRIP production schedule, the first 10 aircraft should be delivered in FY2012, which may be enough aircraft for the USN to declare the first unit operational.

Five developmental prototypes are now in various stages of assembly, with the first expected to achieve first flight in the fourth quarter of 2009.

www.flightglobal.com...

My question is with the first airframe (any one know its Reg?) its already assembled with its engines and they are waiting till late 09 to fly it. Why? I guess it may be a hint that they really can speed up the project.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Boeing's 1st P-8A Poseidon Moves From Final Assembly to Preflight

ST. LOUIS --- Boeing Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) and Boeing Commercial Airplanes (BCA) employees gathered today in Renton, Wash., to celebrate the completion of final assembly on the first P-8A Poseidon for the U.S. Navy and its move to preflight work.

IDS and BCA are building the P-8A, a military derivative of the 737-800, on a third final assembly production line in Renton. The third line takes advantage of the proven efficiencies, manufacturing processes and performance of the highly reliable Next-Generation 737.

link y

Looking good pity boeing cant keep up with ALL the projects

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jezza

Thanks Jezza this once again proves to me that the 09 first flight is a cautionary thing that really for all purposes could be move forward close to 3 months and we could see first flight in Oct 09.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well more news from the P-8 program. Sounds like India has been coerced into buying some of the P-8s. Details as follows.

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 06, 2009 -- The Government of India has selected The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] to provide eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to the Indian navy. The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.

India is the first international customer for the P-8. Boeing will deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of the contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015.

www.air-attack.com...

We needless to say this is big news. The fact that the USAF and Congress would allow the export of the plane which will be one if not the most advance maritime patrol aircraft to be sold to India really makes clear this was planned from the start of development. Unlike the wrangling that can happen like with the F-22 which was not and never has been exported.

Be interested in what you all think of this and its nothing new as it had been hinted at even early in this thread.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
6 new 737 airframes available seeing Australia is about to can the Wedgetail!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
The fact that the USAF and Congress would allow the export of the plane which will be one if not the most advance maritime patrol aircraft to be sold to India...

Well, the USN can sell the P-8 to India and if things get unfriendly they can always call on the USAF and its non exported F-22 to shoot all 8 of them down.
We have things figured out.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

You people sure do!!

Check out the youtube music videos of VAW-113 Black Eagles and VAW-116 Sun Kings, later doubling as an USN recruitment video (now tripling as a Hawkeye AEW Sales Pitch?)

insane stuff!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here are the videos:

Like I said.. insane!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join