It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your sore throat home remedy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
People, please help! I've had this sore throat for nearly two weeks now. I've gone to the pharmacists and tried out a whole bunch of medication, to no avail. I've emptied the medicine cabinet at home of everything from syrups to lozenges, it just gives a brief respite.

Since none of that commercial crap works, now I'm resorting to home remedies. I just had a little bit of apple-cider-vinegar with lemon, it seems to relief the irritation a bit, but it was very short lived as well.

There's an irritating feeling in the throat. It's not really painful, but it certainly is annoyingly irritating. I feel like I have to keep swallowing, though it doesn't help one bit. :bnghd:

What's your home remedy? I'm going to give it a go. If it still persists by the week's end, I'll go see a physician. For now I want to know the home remedies, since I've already blown a wad of cash on the pharmacists.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well if it has been over two weeks then I would seriously suggest seeing a doctor.

However, my home remedy for a sore throat is to make a "tea" out of hot water, honey and a little lemon juice. Works wonders for me.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I also suggest Seeing a doc if this has been going on for 2 week,

But yep have you had a cough?

Hmm I would suggest eating bananas, It helps line the throat and intern sooths the irritation,
Also try garlic, Chop up some Cloves and have a lil munch

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would say that after two weeks, you may have a more serious infection, and it would be best to go to the doc and see if you need antibiotics.

What I find helps for me, is that I will make a tea with Kava and slowly sip it, it has a slight anesthetic quality to it, to sooth the pain, and it helps relax you to sleep. If you're old enough to drink, you could always use a hot toddy and sweat it out, though I would recommend simply going to the doc at this point.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
No cough, no sniffles. I'll see the doctor by the week's end if it doesn't get better. I'm the kind of person who prefers to let the immune system do it's magic, not averse to a little bit of suffering so as not to be completely dependent on medication. But this is so irritating it's affecting my composure.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
strep might be the issue.

for coughs, my wife was given the following suggestion for our daughter.

menthol rub (vicks vapo) on the feet and then wear socks. don't ask why. it works.

a spoonful of honey seems to work as well.

that said, see a doctor.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A teaspoon of lemon and honey is one old folks remedy. Its short lived, but the honey has a natural antibiotic.

Gargle warm salt water is better, but short term fix. The more salt the better, up to a point. Use this every couple hours. It really does help.

I've read that gargling Cayenne pepper and water mix works too, but I've never tried it.

[edit on 12/11/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

My personal favorite-

Honey, fresh squeezed lemon (none of that "plastic lemon" stuff), and some burbon. Couple tablespoons of each. Hot tea with lemon and honey can provide a temporary relief too, but there's an anesthetic quality to the burbon that can't be denied.

Two weeks though, definitely time to see the doc. Even a mild irritation that's persisted for that long should be checked out.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for the tips. The honey and tea combo really worked! I used pure natural honey from the jungles that I bought from a tribesman -- it was thick and dark, almost like crude oil. Raised my body temperature and made me hyper from the sugar rush, heh. The tea was a blend of fragrant Chinese tea with jasmine flowers -- nothing special about it, but it was nice.

Never underestimate the power of positive thinking and your immune system!

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
What I do is to boil ginger root and sip it like tea, put a little sugar in it for taste.
It helps relieve my sore throat. Perhaps this might help you.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
like most others posted i find a hot water, honey + lemon juice mix works well.
i usually throw a panadol or similar tab in there sometimes.
if out n about a good slushy (frozen drink) numbs the throat nicely :w:
if you have trouble talking, then dont. you can make it much worse, i hate laryngitis

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

menthol rub (vicks vapo) on the feet and then wear socks. don't ask why. it works.

a spoonful of honey seems to work as well.

I tried the vicks vapor rub.. and my mouth still feels like i've been chewing on razor blades all night. Then i tried everyone else's suggestion of honey and lemon juice but it didn't work. I think the best remedy is time. You just gotta wait it out.

I hate the winter so very much, only in the winter can i feel this crappy.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
First, I'd follow basic oral hygiene.

1. Brush your teeth well but don't tear up your gums in the process.
2. Brush your tongue until any coloration other than 'pinkish' (or 'purplish-pink' for me). My preferred method for brushing the tongue is by holding the toothbrush vertically (not horizontally) and scrubbing thoroughly in an up and down (or back and front) motion as far back as possible without gagging. For those with a tongue scraper (a U-shaped, hand-held device), that may also work.
3. Floss to remove any food particles imbedded in between the teeth and gums.
4. Follow-up with a quick swish of anti-septic gargle.

Second, I'd try drinking lots of water (hot or cold, tea, lemon, etc...)

Third, if the two above two ideas don't work, then I'd see a doctor.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
i know computers can spread virus' but geez, thanks for giving me your sore throat.

2 days after reading this thread i got a sore throat without any other sickness (just a sore throat and not flu)

it must have been you!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Oregano oil has gotten rid of lots of viruses and stuff. Just make sure it's made to be taken orally. The aromatherapy stuff works if you boil it on the stove and BREATHE it in.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
What I do when I get a cold or a sore hroat is get out my bottle of blackberry brandy usually one shot of it is enough to alleviate the symptoms and after two or thre hit the bed and usually by the next day it is cleared up or at the very least severly diminished.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Not to only contribute one line, but:

Jameson Irish Whiskey. Works great. Can even mix it with 7-Up or something if you want.

new topics

top topics

join