It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were clothes behind attack on teenager? Hijab

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Is the snippit from the source URL?

The article is the same story but worded differently.

>
Google still has the snippit story crawled. This article has been changed or replaced since originally posted.

Interesting that in one she's dead on arrival. In the other she's not.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is a tragic case. Some may refer to it as an honor killing, and in the eyes of the Father he may have thought he was justified. More than likely he did not do this for an honor killing. He was probably just a violent SOB who became enraged and lost complete control.

I have not seen any Muslim leaders, be they clerics or Imams show any support of the fathers actions.

Islam does not specify a death sentence for the daughters actions.
The father must bear responsibility for his actions. I don't see any rallies or support groups popping up to make excuses for him.

In fact this reaction by the Islamic community was in the article I read,

Canadian Muslim groups on Tuesday condemned the attack.

"There should be zero tolerance for violence of any kind against women or girls," said Shahina Siddiqui, the president of the Islamic Social Services Association.

Faisal Kutty, the legal counsel for the Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations, said: We call for the strongest possible prosecution of Ms. Parvez's alleged attacker."

www.nationalpost.com...

I am glad to see these Muslim leaders take this stand. More of them need to speak out against such things not only "after the fact" but before it happens.

I am very familiar with Muslim culture and I know that customs vary from place to place. I personally know Muslims who pray 4 times a day, go to mosque, fast when req'd...ect, but they do not make their wives or daughters wear the hajib. I work with several Muslim, men & women who do not follow these customs.

There is a real problem with so called, "Honor Killings" that should not be ignored though. It may be that this falls into that category.

One websites estimates that over 5000 women & girls a year are killed for
unsanctioned sexual behavior that is presumed to bring such shame on the family.
www.stophonourkillings.com...

Here is a picture of the poor girl:

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I guess this is the perfect proof example of what religion does to you.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just a quick post and then its to bed. On a business trip.

I really can;t believe all the outrage people have posted concerning me. Are you missing that fact that a child was killed????

Anyone that does harm to a child is less than human. And your all criticizing me.

Makes me feel
that people are ignoring the fact that this girl was killed by the hands of her own father.

apc

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't really care who killed who or why, but I am curious to know if you agree the source article has change dramatically since you started the thread. Was your snippit the entire article originally? The only non-tinfoil thing I can reason to explain the discrepancy is the original was a rushed print and as more facts came in they rewrote the article.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

This was on Yahoo news, might answer the differences between the two.

Aqsa Parvez, 16, was found without a pulse in her home in the Toronto suburb of Mississauga earlier on Monday. She was resuscitated by paramedics, treated at two hospitals, and later succumbed to her injuries, police said on Tuesday.

As you can see from this snipit she had no pulse but was resuscitated but later succumbed to her injuries.

On topic.

As for my opinion regarding this, well if its a cultural issue then the culture that condones this type of behavior might need to be re-examined. Should modern society allow such behavior (cultural) or disallow it? Albeit we have laws against this in our culture but does their culture have similar laws?

One might argue that its "their" culture but then again cannibalism was in the culture of Borneo. It is universally outlawed even though it was part of "their" culture! However IMHO this type of behavior is totally unacceptable in modern times.

External source

[edit on 12/12/2007 by pstrron]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

this father had an idea about the role the headscarf player, and I notice you didnt even comment on this barbaric slaughter, just had a panty wetting over someone daring to criticise Islam

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

why? i have commented on this before
and condemed it, im not the type to re-peat my self to satisfy others

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Example: not all muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are muslim.

I know what your saying, but to be honest it would be more accurate to say most terrorists dominating the world media today are Islamic extremists due to them being the crux of the War on Terror.

Regardless, you don't talk like you believe that, you talk like all Muslims are terrorists.

I understand your feelings, but still sometimes you talk like your a satirist to the point that I tend to laugh.

I hate what goes on in a lot of Arab Islamic countries, and I hate the hypocrisy in the liberal media, but still such harsh generalizations are obviously fueled by anger; to be honest I know what it's like to act like that, I'm quite guilty of it, but I know it's wrong. Anger should not control your mind.

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by bodrul

this father had an idea about the role the headscarf player, and I notice you didnt even comment on this barbaric slaughter, just had a panty wetting over someone daring to criticise Islam

Yeah, I noticed that too, he ignored a lot of key posts...

Kind of unnerving...but he tends to do that.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
why? i have commented on this before
and condemed it, im not the type to re-peat my self to satisfy others

You have condemned this girl's murder before that post I referenced- really, where is this please?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst
reply to post by Rockpuck

So its OK to kill a woman who goes against her culture? I am sorry, but any culture that condones that is a culture I want no part of.

i'm with ya man...how can you kill your own kid...
i know some religious folk round here, extended family and such. they are quick to chastize(sp) their kid(s) for not doing what they think is right or this or that but it never goes as far as to kill.

friggin islam.....

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This type of thing is done all of the time.

Here's a case of a guy killing his child to shut her up while he played his video game
www.nbc10.com...

Here's a case a father killing his kids to piss off their mom.
www.infoniac.com...

This is a 16 year old girl. The fight probably started over his daughter being rebellious, but ended up just being extremely frustrating for him and he choked her. Can anyone tell me that they haven't thought about choking an annoying teenage girl or two? Not that it's an excuse, but unbalanced individuals can use any excuse to kill.

Blaming it on the religion is like blaming it on a video game or on paying child support. What ever happened to people taking individual responsibility? It seems like that goes away when people have an agenda to push.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
This type of thing is done all of the time.

Can anyone tell me that they haven't thought about choking an annoying teenage girl or two?

YES, I can tell you that I have never thought that. And I have a teenage daughter of my own.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well God bless ya because they annoy the ever living hell out of me.

Any time I'm at the mall and they start that high pitched squeal that only they can understand, or the inane jibber-jabber that no one should be forced to listen to, or even accidentally overhear.

Teenage girls have a tendency to want to push people's buttons, especially their parents. Of course killing them is out of the question (maybe a boarding school or something), but to say that he consciously found precedent, and calmly murdered her in the name of religion is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
reply to post by traderonwallst

People find plenty of excuses in them to kill though, and not just in Islam.
Just ask Giordano Bruno... or for that matter Alice Hawthorne.

Or for that matter, Tempest Smith.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Any time I'm at the mall and they start that high pitched squeal that only they can understand, or the inane jibber-jabber that no one should be forced to listen to, or even accidentally overhear.

I feel the same about the muslim faith.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
She shouldn't be punished for not obeying her parents by not listening to a sexist rule, murder or not, it doesn't matter! She was standing up for her rights.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Teenage girls have a tendency to want to push people's buttons, especially their parents. Of course killing them is out of the question (maybe a boarding school or something), but to say that he consciously found precedent, and calmly murdered her in the name of religion is ridiculous.

The term, and even the concept, of "teenager" is a 20th century urban American invention. It has little meaning in traditional subsistence pre-Hobbsian cultures, such as almost all of Dar-al-Islam. Of course a certain amount of restlessness, not to mention rebelliousness, can be expected at a certain age, but it is not such a big issue in (say) rural Pakistan as it is in the Modern West. Perhaps the father was simply unused to North American standards of teenagerhood?

(This does not justify his daughter's murder.)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmTetsuo

Or for that matter, Tempest Smith.

Interesting, I had never heard of Tempest Smith before.

Sad story, poor kid

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
She shouldn't be punished for not obeying her parents by not listening to a sexist rule, murder or not, it doesn't matter! She was standing up for her rights.

Yes, that rule is indeed sexist. Thank you for pointing this out.
Sadly, a good many Western feminists prefer not to see this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join