It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were clothes behind attack on teenager? Hijab

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Were clothes behind attack on teenager? Hijab

www.nationalpost.com

A 16-year-old girl has died after being choked by a man believed to be her father, apparently after a dispute with her family over her refusal to wear the hijab, the Islamic headscarf worn by some Muslim women.

Peel Regional Police arrested a 57-year-old man yesterday morning after receiving a 911 call from a suburban home in Mississauga from a man saying he had killed his daughter.

When police and paramedics arrived at the house they found 16-year-old Asqa Parvez lying on the floor without any vital signs, police said. The victim's 57 year-old father, Muhammad Parvez, was arrested at the scene.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
And this is supposed to a be apeaceful religion. Sometimes I just have to wonder whats wrong with people in this world.

www.nationalpost.com

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

why do people always come out with and this is suppose to be a peacefull religion? its becoming a joke,

i am all for discussing faith but starting a topic and then starting off with This religion,

i doubt you even know the role the headscarf plays in Islam

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst

And this is supposed to a be apeaceful religion. Sometimes I just have to wonder whats wrong with people in this world.

www.nationalpost.com

I don't think you should mix these two together.

Culture.

Religion.

It is more of a cultural aspect, wearing the head piece. It is also culture in regards to the suppression of women.

Women in free societies where the culture says equal right for all, women are treated just as fairly as Christian women. It has nothing to do with religion.. Just a culture from where they come from.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst

And this is supposed to a be apeaceful religion.

Hahah! I absolutely can't help but laugh when people say this. Good thing all the people of the world who don't belong to Islam don't ever commit murder, cause then that would just be a hypocrisy.

So the man acted based on his religion then, eh? Which part of Islam says that a woman must die because she doesn't wear her head scarf?

[edit on 11-12-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Muslim Man Runs Red Light

"And this is supposed to be a peaceful religion?"

Anyway,

I want someone to show me a peaceful religion (aside from Buddhism and Taoism that is) so that we have something to compare Islam to.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

I ran a red light once during a driving lesson
but i assure everyone it had nothing to do with Islam

Rasobasi420 i know you were joking and i couldnt resist replying

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
According to a saudi (female) friend of mine, the headscarf is worn as a cultural item, and because the koran teaches that the virgin mary should be venerated as jesus' mother.

I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently most women in the region wore a headscarf 2,000 years ago.

It's a sign of modesty, and also because all men are leches who will try to seduce a women on seeing her hair.

Not quite sure I get all of this, but this is what she said - of course, this is the saudi version - the names in the article sound more pakistani.

These so called "honour" killings have had a lot of press over here in the last few years, and they really do beggar belief.

On the other hand, nowhere in the koran does it say that a woman MUST wear a headscarf - so as usual, the fanatics paint a bad picture and all muslims end up being tarred with the same brush.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

did you know when a woman goes on Haj she is forbidden
covering her face with a Hijab.

also your friend is right its a cultral thing and about modesty

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yes, I knew about the Haj thing.

She only covers her hair though, not her whole face.

I've had many an interesting chat with her about islam - despite the time difference meaning some pretty late nights.

She lives not far from mecca, and has some wonderful photo's of the place, taken during her ANNUAL pilgrimage - so she's pretty devout and also pretty knowledgeable.

I've met muslims who didn't even know about the 5 pillars of islam - and these were always the ones who were most militant, even though they knew very little about their own religion.

Strange old world really.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I've met people who consider themselves Christian but don't know jack-swat about the bible. People can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't necessarily mean they live by it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

i am going next year
it will be after my trip to the US since i cant use student loans or anything that is debt on Haj i have to work extra hours and earn the money to Go

its on of the pillers that all abled muslim have to perform, your friend is lucky she gets to go so many times,

Rasobasi420 no arguement there

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
People can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't necessarily mean they live by it.

A bit off-topic but relevant to your post Raso. I recall growing up in the Catholic church. Every Sunday, without fail, there were the same folks who would take Communion and proceed directly out the doors of the church. The mass was over within a few minutes, and they were always the same ones you'd see walking down the street, 'round the corner, and straight into the American Legion. Eh? It opened at 12:00. Odd that several of these folks would be the first to denounce others' faith and spout-off as to how "devout" they were. yeahright.

In regards to the topic of discussion, there are good, bad and ugly in all walks, ways, and or religions. The sad part being one need not look too far to "see" them.

[edit: corrected to to too
]

[edit on 11-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Islam & Christendom alike are guilty of elevating the traditions of man to the same level or even above what is contained in their respective Holy books. ie the Koran & the Bible.

In this case, the Koran does not say that the punishment for refusing to wear the hijab should be death. as far as I know.

I have no doubt though that this mans defense, if not insanity, will be that the was following he laws of his religion.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Sparky63]

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It would be interesting if the media reported the religious affiliation of every one accused or convicted of a crime.

I can just see it now;
"John Doe, a Baptist was convicted of DUI last Saturday night."

or "John Doe, a devout Catholic was arrested for shop lifting."

or "Jane Doe, a Methodist was arrested for possession of a controlled substance"

I would love to see that.

However it must be said that when sensational news stories appear involving Muslims, it always seems to be connected to some aspect of their faith.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

So its OK to kill a woman who goes against her culture? I am sorry, but any culture that condones that is a culture I want no part of.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

What culture condones that?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

why do people always come out with and this is suppose to be a peacefull religion? its becoming a joke,

Answer:

Simple. Because many of the same people you see on this thread complaining about what the OP has said are the very same people that in the past have used the "islam - religion of peace" slogan to discredit other posted accounts of the atrocities perpetrated by "some" muslims.

You started using theis slogan. You in effect have "made your own bed". So now you must lie in it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

What culture condones that?

Uh, just the most recent headlines (and ATS threads):

european cartoonists threatened with death ...

saudi arabia sentences rape victim to 200 lashes and prison ...

sudan arrests school teacher ...

sudan citizens demonstrate and call for the death of the schoolteacher ...

and now this in canada ...

Coming soon to a community near you?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

It would be interesting if the media reported the religious affiliation of every one accused or convicted of a crime.

That doesn't happen and won't because being a Baptist, etc. is not currently being used as both the reasoning for the crime and the reason why the crime should not be condemned for what it is.

Only "some" proponents of islam can claim that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join