It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! my boyfriend get's really depresed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ok me and my boyfriend get along really well. he does really nice things for me and we love each other, but he really gets depressed. We sometimes have really negative conversations, discussing death, what the point in living is, etc... he has done allot of acid and jib, and i think that might have som to do with it, but he don't even do that now. just the wrong words set him off. help

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Has he gone to any therepy?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
no, most guys dont wanna go to theropy anyway.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Then make him go....hell, ima guy and id wanna go to therapy for a problem like hits,

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
try these links

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

hope that helps

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
....well do you give him...you know.. enough? If not, maybe that could be where his depression originates.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
listen to him, be his silent therapist, let him get it all out his system, then offer him encouragement.

Tell him or show him all the positives things that you and others see in him.

If he has a talent, encourage it. regardless of what it is.

just don't let his depressive attitude rub off on you. When he is negative, you be positive.

Try exercising together when he is down

hope that helps, if not have him see a shrink....but DONT let him take any anti depressants!!!!!!

OOOPS

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
but let him take any anti depressants!!!!!!

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

did you mean --"dont let him take any antidipressants"--?

becuase They dont work and its a huge money scam..probably one of the biggist money scams ever..they dont even know tthe long term effects of ssri's ect...changing brain chemistry is a big deal if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrystal
Ok me and my boyfriend get along really well. he does really nice things for me and we love each other, but he really gets depressed. We sometimes have really negative conversations, discussing death, what the point in living is, etc... he has done allot of acid and jib, and i think that might have som to do with it, but he don't even do that now. just the wrong words set him off. help

He needs cognitive behavioural therapy.
Find out if he was like this before he did jib and other chemicals. Also try and think of all the words that set him off, when u do this, write them down, see if you can work with him. When you have this list together, sit down and go down the list of words. Ask him what comes to his mind when he thinks of each word. Write it down.

This is alot of work as it goes on, after you get all the answers, that when the change happens. This is going to take alot of work on his part, and we don't even know if he'll try.

But the bottom line is he needs to change the automatic thoughts that occur in his head when he hears those certain words. Cognitive change will help him, but he will need the help of a psychologist. A behavioural psychologist. But this will give you an idea of what is going on in his head. Make sure he gets help.
He sounds borderline suicidal to me.

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Also NO anti-depressants...

FYI--- Guys will go to therapy if it will make them better.

He might be the kind of guy that pity's himself, so he won't want to go because this is a comfort zone for him, he gets additional attention, this is comforting to him..

NOTE: This is the wrong kind of comfort, it is also the wrong kind of attention, it is the wrong kind of attitude to carry...

If he makes EXCUSES for not wanting to go, you need to get hard with him, and point out the above to him.
He should feel shameful and embarrassed if that is indeed the way he thinks, he will get defensive and maybe angry, that shows you also he is indeed thinking the above.

Make him understand that his comfort zone needs to change, it isn't healthy. Tell him he needs to pull his head out of his asz and see a behavioural psychologist.

This is for his own good. He needs to evolve as a healthy human being, not a self pittying/whats the point in living kind of individual.

top topics

join