It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Out of my way!

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I was driving to work this morning, in the snow, and I just couldn't believe the number of people causing cars to slow way down just to avoid hitting them. If I can go ten under the speed limit and pass you like you are standing still, SPEED UP!!! There is such a thing as being a hazard for going too slow when all of the cars around you are forced to slam on their brakes just because you don't think you can drive on the snow, or in any slippery conditions.

I know driving fast in the snow is another hazard and I don't do that either. When i see cars in the ditch or abandoned on the roads, i do go just a bit under the speed limit. I learned how to drive on snow and ice. I love to see cars pass me and then see them in the ditch about 5 minutes later. I just laugh and drive on by. (unless they could be hurt)

Another thing.......SUV's that think they can do what they want when the weather is bad. You don't have the ability to stop any faster than I do! Just because you might be able to speed up faster than cars around you, doesn't mean that the roads are fine.



Bottom line...... if you are getting passed like you are standing still, speed up! If you are passing everyone around you, slow down. We can all get through this winter with all of our cars intact if we would all just work together and use a bit of common sense while driving.




posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I live on the Wisconsin/Minnesota boarder where there is no shortage of ice or snow and I have an SUV (a Dodge Durango) and I will be the first to tell you that in normal gear, it slips and slides all over the place, even at a slower pace. So no, SUV's can't do anything unless they are locked into 4 wheel drive.

I have had my license for less than a year so I was probably one of those slow people on the first ice/snow storm of the season because I have never driven in those conditions before. However, I have been practicing and I think I'm doing much better and going closer to the speed limit now.

So remember, some of those people on the road may not be used to driving in those conditions, and that's why they are slow. However, for those who have lived and driven in that climate since they were 16 and they are still driving 2 miles an hour? Yeah...what's wrong with them!



posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by secret titan
 


In winter driving, it isn't about going a prescribed amount below the speed limit, but driving as safe as possible according to road conditions and your vehicles capabilities. It just may be that the people you are accusing of "going too slow" are in fact going as fast as their vehicles can safely go without breaking traction. Never become over-confident, it will bite you in the rear my friend.



posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
My ex used to (still does) like to drive around corners way too fast in slick and snowy/icy conditions as if the wheels can stay on the pavement no matter what he did. I got so paranoid I thought he would kill us!



posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069
 


I don't drive over confident. I drive the same speed as 95% of people on the road. The other 5% being the slower and faster people. The thing that really bugs me about these people is that they seem to change lanes and force me to slam on my brakes. It's never around an intersection, so why feel the need to switch?


I understand people driving slow, but only to a point. After that point they become just as much as a hazard as the road conditions.



posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I know what you mean Titan. I drive in snow and ice all the time, and some people just freak out it the roads are a little slick and crawl along at 5 mph. *whisper's....theres a lot of people from California up here that drive like that*


Driving at a decent speed doesn't mean you are over confident, it just means you like to drift the corners and get a little sideways....just kidding



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join