It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justices Restore Judges' Control Over Sentencing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Justices Restore Judges' Control Over Sentencing

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON, Dec. 10 — The Supreme Court on Monday restored federal judges to their traditional central role in criminal sentencing.

In two decisions, the court said federal district judges had broad discretion to impose what they think are reasonable sentences, even if federal guidelines call for different sentences.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ussc.gov
www.nytimes.com
www.nytimes.com

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I think this is good news, but it's too little too late. The damage has already been done thanks to the failed War on Drugs.

I fear the release of potentially thousands of violent offenders, mixed in with the thousands more non-violent ones, could unleash a new crime wave, gang wars and even more repression in the name of fighting crime and drugs. Another endless and needless "war."

I think people need to realize what I call The 3 Most Important Drug Facts Today:

1) Illegal drugs are essentially out of control.
2) Drug laws are mostly unenforceable.
3) Drug laws are widely ignored.

All this is breeding contempt and disrespect for the rule of law. Without respect for the law, there is no law. Only anarchy and brutality prevail.

Adult drug legalization and regulation, in my opinion, is the only way to effectively control drugs, protect kids and restore respect for the rule of law and those who are sworn to enforce it.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join