It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Evolution Seems to Be Accelerating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Human Evolution Seems to Be Accelerating

www.foxnews.com

Science fiction writers have suggested a future Earth populated by a blend of all races into a common human form.

In real life, the reverse seems to be happening. People are evolving more rapidly than in the distant past, with residents of various continents becoming increasingly different from one another, researchers say.

"I was raised with the belief that modern humans showed up 40,000 to 50,000 years ago and haven't changed," explained Henry C. Harpending, an anthropologist at the University of Utah. "The opposite seems to be true."

"Our species is not static," Harpending added in a telephone interview.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I thought that with the human melting pot called modern society that we should be becoming more similar! How could increased diversity be occurring?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
How could increased diversity be occurring?

I think it only happens in back-water regions where people aren't more metropolitan and tolerant. Not knocking rural areas, just criticizing the intolerant folk that exists aplenty in those area. But then again there are metropolitan areas where the people are racist anyway.. for example Japan. Only Japanese people are granted citizenship. That tells you something.

I notice the Fox News article doesn't include this part of the original news release:

That study and others dealing with genetic differences among humans – whose DNA is more than 99 percent identical – generated fears such research will undermine the principle of human equality and justify racism and discrimination. Other critics question the quality of the science and argue culture plays a bigger role than genetics.

Harpending says genetic differences among different human populations “cannot be used to justify discrimination. Rights in the Constitution aren’t predicated on utter equality. People have rights and should have opportunities whatever their group.”

My opinion is that these sort of omissions also contribute to the fact. Less than informed people will use this research as justification for discrimination.

Full unedited article

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I think it only happens in back-water regions where people aren't more metropolitan and tolerant. Not knocking rural areas, just criticizing the intolerant folk that exists aplenty in those area.

Hi Beach, Thanks for that link, better to read the whole article. Pretty interesting stuff!

The implication is that the human genome is not stable and uniform but tends to change and diversify. Certainly this is evident if you go out and look around or do some traveling overseas. The article sited reasons for diversification such as adaptation to high carb (corn) diet (avoiding diabetes), adaptation to milk/ lactose tollerance and skin lightening in northern Europeans for vit. D synthesis in spite of low sunlight. This makes good sense for the genome to adapt like this.

The talk about discrimination resulting as a result of this evidence is pure PC IMHO. When do certain people not worry about discrimination as a result of some finding. Oh goodness the last thing we want is.. wait, don't we already have... oh well!

So the bottom line is we've had lots of diversification even recently, we will probably have more in the future. Our modern life style hasn't changed things much. So get used to seeing some different looking people out walking around as it is probably a good thing for the species!

new topics

top topics

join