It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fury over Aborigine ruling mounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Fury over Aborigine ruling mounts

news.bbc.co.uk

Aboriginal leaders in Australia have called for a judge to be stood down after she let nine indigenous males who raped a 10-year-old girl walk free.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Can you believe this?

It abhorrent. I find it absolutely amazing that the jusdge can say the victim "probably agreed to have sex with all of you".

According to the law in this area, An under 12 cannot give consent. Therefore is it not statutory rape called for the highest penalty.
I am appalled and can't wait to see further developments on this one. It was saying the radio that there are calls for the judge to be discliplined. I say sack her.

This is not legal process - this is a joke.

I will reply further when I have finished planning lessons for the kids I teach, some of whom are only a year older.

Sickened and disappointed.

MSP

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-12-2007 by more_serotonin_pls]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I had posted on another thread about this earlier today and I am thoroughly disgusted by the ruling this woman handed down.

I think sacking her is truly not enough but I do not see her actually getting a punishment out of this other than losing her job.

It is right sickening to think someone on this planet can think a 10 yr old child agreed to something so disgusting! I cannot even begin to comprehend what was going on in that woman's head and I cannot think of even one excuse that would make my opinion of this woman change.

VV

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Sorry - did a search, but couldn't find anything.

I agree that sacking does not seem enough perhaps, but it would have the impact of getting someone who is clearly not up to such an important job out of office.

Maybe I am wrong here, but I would have thought that a woman may have been more sympathetic to the situation than a man. But by adopting the all too prevalent 'She was asking for it' approach she is doing no-one any favours. Think about the effect that this may have on older women worried about reporting a rape - and we all know how low the conviction rates are in this area.

Another example of lunacy in high places appears.

No doubt there'll be plenty more to come.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Most of the articles I read about this refer to the rapists as children, teens or youths. But I swear that I read one was 26 and another 2 were in the 17-18 year old range.

This is an insane ruling. Hate to wish a gang raping on someone, but I can't help but think this judges view might be a little different if 10 guys had a run at her.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I and the new Aussie PM who has heard of this account couldn’t agree more with all of the previous posts. I find it hard to believe that a highly educated person could come up with such an opinion and final decision on the penalties of the offenders.

A 10 year old giving consent for sex…. Good God the moral implication and the scientific implications on moral and cognitive judgment of a child to say yes I wanted to have sex with all of those young boys…. And men. How despicable of grown men to prey on a young child.

The latest statement said that the young girl now has contracted an STD….

Justice surely did not prevail this day….

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by more_serotonin_pls
Sorry - did a search, but couldn't find anything.

You didn't search very hard then....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This is not a very old post either and you're supposed to check all the news threads before starting a new thread.
And I see you're supposed to be an archivist too..

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Extralien]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by more_serotonin_pls

I cant believe it either,every so often we hear of judges making these ridicules rulings.

Also what I find very strange is a thread Thurisaz has made,and done her homework,she states with a source in this post that not one arrest has taken place since the Federal Gov started their crack down with the new aboriginal child protect which started a few months ago under the now ex prime minister Johnny Howard.

Thurisaz imo has done some really good homework and also makes a good case to suspect that these new child protection developments concerning aboriginals in the top end of Australia is about uranium and land rights.

So its doublely baffling imo that these males are let off with this crime,if the Gov needed some evidence of aboriginal child abuse,let alone that its been quite common to hear of child abuse in the aborigines communities.So why aren`t they being arrested and convicted like in this case

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
May I ask people not to post on this thread until a mod closes it.

top topics

join