It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pics of Your Kit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Here it is folks, the "somewhat official survival pics" thread! I know, there are tons of "what gear" posts on here... and this post is not for what stuff you carry or what is in your BOB, but more or less a thread to show everyone what you got in that bag.

I'm interested in seeing what is out there, and more interested to see some of it in action. Post some pics of what makes up your kit, stuff you have made or used.... even better if you have pics of it being used and abused.

Two guidelines:
Please do not post stock photos from sites online... it would be contrary to this thread, this is for your images and not some corporate generalization. Also, if you contribute something here, please add a description of some sort. It would be appreciated by all.

Cheers,
T

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
oops, delete this... turns out my links were too big

I'm resizing.

T.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by telemetry]
trying to fix linkies

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
To start it off, here are a few pics of my current (under construction) kit... unpacked.
I left a few things out, but this is pretty much the jist of it.

Here is my pocket-sized kit:

It's a small metal fly tin that my father and I found many years ago on a fishing trip... a sweet little gem and pretty light to boot. It's got a cool magnetic layer on one side that keeps your stuff from rattling about. It was still full of flies and lures also!

These days it's crammed with my comprehensive survival kit... less a few rolls of fishing line, a small bag of hooks, snare wire candle/matches, thread, and a couple condoms... (for water bags dummy) this is pretty much it. It's sized perfectly to fit in a cargo pocket in my pants when I'm out and about. The rest of my kit resides inside of my hollow aluminum hiking staff.

edit to resize... grrr camera!

[edit on 11-12-2007 by telemetry]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This is the exploded view of my pack... the green stick on the right is my hiking staff, and the three clear tubes to the right of it are where I stow the other essentials like solar blankie, trash bags, tinder (dryer lint) and other small things.

That funky thing above my survival tin is my "last aid kit" and to the right and below is my trusty solar charge and modified (to LED) mini mag. Directly below the tin is a "blastmatch" which is my primary firestarter worn on a lanyard around my neck. Can't be too safe 'eh.

Military poncho/tarp shelter on the top left, and that big black roll of a thing is my sleeping bag. Below that is my cooking kit... consisting of alcohol stove, pot and spork, fuel bottles and my own design of a woodstove/windcreen/potstand. I'm still trying to get the kinks worked out on my woodstove/screen thing.
Right now it looks something like this:

Setup with pot: (alcohol burning mode)

And here is the full cooking kit:

ahh much better sizing

Cheers,
T

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If I don't have time to boil water, I still have my trusty oldschool sweetwater filter. Going on strong after 9 years other than a few $30 cartridges. Also pictured to the right is maps and compass... and my backwoods tool of choice, the ontario knives sp-8 machete. Great for choppin' and diggin' but a little too heavy and intimidating to carry around on my person, I have my small knives and multi-tool for that

Oh yeah, forgot to add the one-person bivy shelter and pocho-tarp. That camoflage thing and that other dark green thing under my pack.
There is a bunch more that I'm still digging out of the shed, and not including what is worn, food/water and other bulky junk. I will add some of that later

Get those cameras out and snap something!

Cheers,
T

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As soon as I can I will post mine

Great thread!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
AGENT_T's all mod cons kit will be posted as soon as I can take and download all the pics..

1 full page required I think

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Great thread and thanks for sharing your gear! Sorry my pics aren't that great.

Here is my pack. Its a medium Alice Pack with the frame taken off. I have used Kelty and many other packs that are twice as big, but amazingly I can fit more into my Alice than any of those. Plus it is a subdued color and not neon orange or red like a lot of the civilian packs on the market. Even with all my gear it is light an I have no problem shouldering it all day.

The Alice has 3 large outer pockets. All of my survival gear fits in one pocket and I keep my tent, clothes and sleepingbag inside the actual pack. The other 2 pockets I use for food and water bladder.

This are my survival trinkets. All of this fits into the timberland package on the lower left and the tin on the lower left except fo the knives, saw and stove.

I use a gerber gator knife that I found on a beach in Oregon. (although I would strongly reccomend using a fixed blade knife) I also carry a fillet knife and a 2 multi-tools. Theres a first aid kit with smelling salts, band-aids, Bacitracin Zinc, pain killers, aspirin, Epi-pen, and all that good stuff.

There is a Garmin Vista GPS, 2 compasses and a map for navigation. Extra batteries, flashlight, razor blades, 2 sizes of zip-ties, small quickdry towel, 2 kinds of medical tape as well as duct-tape. Extra shoe-laces as well as a few hundred yards of cord of all kinds.

I keep a fishing reel and 150 yards of extra line, plenty of hooks, and cork. Sewing kit, 2 small candles, A small metal wire saw for trapping uses. A pen, rubberbands, matches, lighter, bandana, Carmex for chaffing, potable aqua tablets, fire starting magnesium tool and a half dozen tablets of trioxane.

This is what I keep in my pack. The blue bag is waterproof where I keep a few pairs of wool socks, long underwear, gloves, BDU's, and my summer sleepingbag. (Sierra Designs/REI Cirrus Down) In the winter I use a Army ECW bag, its huge, Bulky and heavy and doesnt fit inside my pack. I secure it to the bottom. But its warm and toasty.

The black bag is my tent. Its a green Exped Sirius Extreme. Great tent, years of service and very light. It fits 2 people (im 6'4) and my 2 dogs(though they prefer to sleep outside). Its a big tent, but packs small and I wouldn't trade it for any other out there. I don't mind spending all day in it when the weather turns.

The pants are ECWS(extreme cold weather system) pants that you can get on Ebay for cheap. They are great and I can walk through waste deep water in them without getting wet. The overalls are also U.S Military. I have no idea what they are but they make great snowpants and I carry them in my pack even in the summer for swamps and such. The shirt is what i wear over my BDU's when the weather turns. Its made of wool and makes all the difference in the world on those cold nights. The Thermarest pad also makes a huge difference when sleeping on cold ground.

Im using Timberland Boots at the moment but I reccomend Asolo brand boots. IMHO they are the best. Mine fell apart 3 quarters of the way through the AT and I haven't saved up enough to get new ones.

I left my MK2 knife and Gerber hatchet in California with a freind becuase I didnt want the airlines to take them from me. So unfortunatly they are missing from my pack right now.

To be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none takes your survival potential to new levels. In short, there is no one skill or piece of gear that will see you through all survival scenarios except your brain. Best of luck to you all!

[edit on 12-12-2007 by METACOMET]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
What a great thread... Sometime in the next week, before I bug out of civilization for the holidays, I'll post the pics of my gear. The nice thing about snow is that you can travel heavier by pulling everything behind you in a toboggan. It has taken me years of backpacking, surviving, and investment to organize my dream survival kit. It will probably take me a while to pull it all out for photos, but I promise I will.

Plus, it is a way for me to see it all out and make sure it is all where I think it is....

I recently replaced the bulbs and batteries in all of my light sources. Ammo has been checked and restocked. Tent and sleeping systems are in shape. I've got spare parts for some of my favorite gear and a first aid kit that would make any survivor drool.

Now, I am focusing on gathering a few things that I think will work as currency when all hell breaks loose, like liquor, antibiotics, cigs, and coffee. I have a cache set up in the place I am running to soon, so that I won't have to haul everything there the 20th. You don't really want pictures of that stuff, anyhow...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the contributions everyone, got some really good kits here...
I might have to dig out all my older (somewhat less-used) gear out of my shed for more pics. I still have quite the collection of milspec surplus I need to inventory and find uses for.

Oh, and no worries about how many pages your stuff takes up...
(as long as the mods don't mind of course)
I could probably start a small outfitter shop with mine.

keep up the good work!
cheers,
T

(edit for spellin')

[edit on 12-12-2007 by telemetry]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Those are wondeful kits. The pictures are very helpful. Thank you for sharing. I'm starting to put mine together more seriously. When I get to a stopping point I will add mine.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is one of my home made stoves, the meths burner is made from an aerosol can and it is more powerful than the triangia burners

This next photo is in wood burning mode.

I could fill a rucksack with stoves alone.

This is the stove packed away in a towel pouch, quite small for a wood burner.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
OMG

You can pack that big, efficient stove in that little pack? Please explain how you made and I will make one for myself right away. That stove looks amazing!

Does it throw out much heat in wood-burning mode?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I will have to take some more photos of it when dismantled and then i will post them for you.
As for the burner, It is far stronger than those coke can stoves as its made of thicker material but I don't want to put up the instructions for that as we are playing with pressurised meths and i don't want the less skilled out there to have an accident.
On the wood burner, the hole in the front is the only way for air to get to the fuel so it has a nice chimney effect going when lit. Yes it does burn hot.
This is another one that i made, works just as good but is a little larger when packed.

This one is made from an old smoker and i normally burn heat beads in this one. They last for 3 to 4 hours on one filling. Notice the kettle on top of the chimney. I have a brew going 24/7 when i go camping

I even make my own bread. Here i am waiting for the bread to raise before using the outback oven.
Cheers
John

[edit on 22-12-2007 by jon1]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
This is one of my home made stoves, the meths burner is made from an aerosol can and it is more powerful than the triangia burners

Dude, that is a pretty sweet design you have there!
You could probably market that thing here in the states. Is it entirely homemade?
I'm assuming that it is collapsible in order to fit in that bag... great job!

I myself can't wait until some warmer weather comes around my way... I need to get out!

Keep up the good work folks, and thanks for your contributions!

The Telemetry

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Wow! I have no survival gear, I should really start putting stuff together.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by telemetry

Dude, that is a pretty sweet design you have there! You could probably market that thing here in the states. Is it entirely homemade?
I'm assuming that it is collapsible in order to fit in that bag... great job!

The stove is homemade, one day i just stood in my garage with a sheet of metal, tin snips and decided to make a stove. i had no plans, I designed it as i went along.
Once you remove those two round rods at the top of the stove it comes apart then stows in the bag.
I have modified the design now to replace the oval opening to a drop down flap. this allows a longer shelf to feed the wood in and allows me to control the air flow.
cheers for the comments.
John.

join