It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mods on crackdown mode, everyone hide their threads!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The Christmas Game in my opinion, which I know does not make a hill of beans, is no different than the locked threads. Don't you think it looks a little fishy that it is still open and it was started by a mod?
Don't throw things at me I just have a sincere question.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d
Don't you think it looks a little fishy that it is still open and it was started by a mod?

Well let's think about this for a minute. "Lombozo", sounds vaguely Italian, doesn't it? Wasn't there an explorer named Guiseppe Lombozo or something?

The traditional Christmas Eve meal in Italy is fish. So...

Italian Christmas themed thread being fishy. Yep. Makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So now will we have a Czar of Pointlessness.

Maybe we could institute a an Institute of Pointlessness to over see the threads and make sure that everything has a point, a reason for being, a moral, worthwhile. A squad to report back to the Czar and make sure that the guidelines are followed.

Absolutely no improvising. Structure is what we need around here at BTS.

We can relax and chill in only the approved manner. No exceptions! Unless you are one of the chosen. I think we know who they are!

Damn right I'm pissed!! And none of my threads were trashed, but I expect them to be now in retaliation.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I nominate myself as BTS Czar of Pointlessness. I have a good eye at determining what is pointless here, since I often participate in those very same pointless threads here. Shouldn't be too hard for me to tell what is to be deemed pointless.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

At work, I'm Vice President in Charge of Sitting By the Door. If Czar of Pointlessness has already been claimed here, I hereby nominate myself for Chief Head Supervisor of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Again.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well, I don't think all the game threads should be closed, only the stupid counting ones.

In fact, my "Ban the person above you" thread was a great way to get to know other members. I got my first 2 ATS friends on that thread. (Hi steve-o and minnie!). Of course, people started spamming it with obvious reasons (banned because the sky is blue) which I think was what made the Mods close it.

Well, time for me to think of a more creative game

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I guess in a world where conspiracy theories reign supreme, any sort of "action" to close things down is going to be met with some, well, resistance.

Maybe a period of community consultation would have been useful? Maybe a list of those threads under threat, and see what the community thought?

Also, if I recall correctly, ATS (and I assume by extention BTS) talks about user-generated eco-systems (or something similar, I forget the exact words)? How does staff nominated closure of user content fit into this paradigm?

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't care that much, but I can understand why some people feel concerned over this, even if it is simply BTS threads that got trashed.

Thanks for listening!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Let me tell you what I find humorous. People who have only been here a short while telling others what is stupid and what isn't. Obiviously what I find stupid may seem entertaining to you. Kind of like a guy and a girl choosing a movie.
What I guess I am saying is, before you classify someones thread as stupid, you might consider the fact that you may be offending a possible friend.

Anyway, I could care less what they do with the threads. It is not my website so I only have an opinion. I just try to abide by the rules and pop in for a comment from time to time. I have been a member here for a long time and seen this site grow from a very small group of posters to this almost ridiculous accumulation of personalities all trying to be the most popular. So I guess you can't please us all.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My confusion is this: the idea was to close all the "post in my thread threads" yet most of the threads closed are not these types of threads?

Can anyone explain?

And whaaa...as discussed in my running for prez thread, you can be the Morality Guru!!

Please whaaa....help us post properly and with a purpose!! I await your wisdom squire!

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I'll try to give you a little insight.

Of the 13 threads that were closed, 9 of them had the word game in the title and are full of one or two-liners. In fact, almost all of those threads were full of one or two-liners with the same members posting over and over.

That's part what makes them 'post in my thread' types.

I do realize that some members enjoy these kinds of threads and I understand that this may seem sudden, but this rule has been in place for 9 months now. All that's happened is enforcement of the existing rules.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I even tried to start a politically correct thread, and that didn't work either? This is all very frustrating. Perhaps those in charge here should just do away with BTS all together....

Or....get rid of the "Chit Chat" forum as it appears Chit Chat is not acceptable any longer.....

Perhaps we need a definition of Chit Chat....(from dictionary.com)

chit chat

noun
light informal conversation for social occasions

It appears now, these things are not acceptable:

light
informal
social

I guess it depends WHO defines Chit Chat. I figured we the users of the forum could define that for ourselves. I guess I was mistaken.....

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
E_B, can't you see that light, informal and social is "pointless" thus it deserves to be trashed even if it was fun and a lot of BTS people liked it.

I agree

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I think you may be on to something with your definition of chit chat. Does a thread promote a conversation/discussion or have some kind of topic other than just being a place to post one or two-liners?

If you'd like definitions, here they are:

dis·cus·sion
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.

dictionary.reference.com...

con·ver·sa·tion
informal interchange of thoughts, information, etc., by spoken words; oral communication between persons; talk; colloquy.

dictionary.reference.com...

If it is a thread that is for discussion, then it's all good. If it's a thread to pass the time and consists of one or two liners (no matter how funny and clever some of them are) that aren't discussing anything, it's not so good.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

What if it's to pass the time but it uses more than average amount of brain cells i.e. puzzle threads?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
BTS:

Below Top Secret: no politics, no conspiracies, just plain old fun.

Could it be that ATS is suffering because we're all posting here?

As for myself, i dont want to talk about the POTUS anymore. He's failed, he failed us and thats that. No amount of talking about him is going to change anything. I assume most people are sick and tired of this subject and are all coming here for some fun.

So, whats wrong with some fun? Must we be at each others throats and bickering in order to have balance here?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

comment,

This is part of your definition of "discussion"......COMMENT. So, according to YOUR definition, a COMMENT is okay. A comment is usually a sentence. A COMMENTARY is longer.......

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
If anyone has taken the time to read this thread, I'm confused to how they could not understand what has happened, and the difference.

Good Thread: What is your personality?

The author is asking a question and allowing members to actually contribute. While responses are intended, it's not the sole purpose of the thread.

Now looking at any of the umpteen threads that have been closed, if you look at any of them you will see the same common denominator. None of them allow for members to contribute. Some may allow a member to pick something from a list, and keep going in the same cycle for hundreds and hundreds of posts. It's pointless. Hence our stance against pointlessness.

This isn't a stance against fun, and we're not here to rain on anyone's parade. But we do ask that each thread serve a purpose other than garnering a response. Members who are responding should be able to offer a little substance in their posts.

A lot of good, fun threads can still exist.. and will always continue to exist on BTS.

Is saying, "T - Tiger" or "I - Influenza" really that much fun?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Now looking at any of the umpteen threads that have been closed, if you look at any of them you will see the same common denominator. None of them allow for members to contribute. Some may allow a member to pick something from a list, and keep going in the same cycle for hundreds and hundreds of posts. It's pointless. Hence our stance against pointlessness.

Is saying, "T - Tiger" or "I - Influenza" really that much fun?

I think thats where the dilemma is, because what is pointless for you might me fun for others. What you might consider fun might not be so for me and others. Is so open to interpretation that I think the only way to be sure is to ban all game threads or make a rule about pointlessness and substance.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Do we really want to go there? 47 pages of fine print whereases and whyfors with every possible and concievable eventuality carefully spelled out and specified? I don't. It seems (to me) to be fairly simple. The T&C could maybe be interpreted as "have some common sense", with a couple of specifics thrown in. Yes, there will be some disagreements, but I'm not seeing anything I'd call heavy handed moderating. But then, this really hasn't affected me, so I have no axe to grind.

A lot of what's being eliminated could easily move over to the chat forum. That's what it's there for, right?

And maybe I'm not right, but there you go.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I must say I'm disappointed at the thread closings. BTS was like a place of rest and relaxation after battling on ATS.

After I was grown with children of my own my mother told me that there were times during my childhood when she said NO when she later realized there was not a good reason to not grant a yes to my request.

So it is with our mods. They dare not consider changing their minds now that they have laid down the rules.

Therefore, I deem this thread pointless as nothing will change no matter how much we discuss it.

I do appreciate you mods but gee we sure were having fun and getting to know each other.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join