It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Messed up dreaming, just messed up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hi all.
I dream. Yes, I know, everybody dreams. But, I'm a little different. For the last 22 years or so, I've partaken in introducing a substance into my body which suppresses short term memory, so, for the last 22 years or so, I rarely remember my dreams.
But lately, I thought I'd give up that specific substance for a month or so, just to apply it's cost elsewhere (X-Mas and the like) and so, of course, my dreams have become more and more rememberable when I wake up...and weird enough to actually wake me up from a sound sleep. Something I'm VERY not used to.
I hate my dreams. So unreal that I actually fear going to sleep to a point and I'm so un-used to them that they almost feel like real memories of events that really took place. I wake up absolutely astounded and a bit shaken.
So, my point is this- Do I keep going without the extra, dreamkilling substance or go back to it because dreaming my dreams makes it so not worth the money I'm saving.
Don't ask me about the "substance, though, I won't reveal what it is.

Thanks for the imput,
Cuhail

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Is this a rhetorical question?

Also is there any way that your use of unsaid substance has in-fact placed you in a position to experience such vivid dreams?

MonKey

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Totally rhetorical, Cheeks.

And no. The substance has never really given me bad dreams (I don't think), just suppressed the ability to recall them in the morning. But, after so long of not remembering my dreams in the morning, I am ill-prepared to deal with them. I understand most dreams are silly things the unconscience mind creates to do whatever it means to do, for whatever reasons. But, I've spent so long not recalling them when I awaken, now that I do, they seriously disturb me. I guess what I'm asking for is some tips on interpreting them without taking them so seriously. You could almost consider me a "New Dreamer".

Cuhail

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Growing up, I never liked my dreams, either. They also were especially vivid and, more often than not, came true. But I put up with it well into my early 20's until my ex-husband and I moved into our own house (meaning not rented but our own).

Then, my dreams began to be dominated by a recurring theme - symbolically varied but yet the meaning was consistent. I dreamed that my husband and I would be splitting up for good. I didn't like those dreams; we were happy and in love and there didn't seem to be any legitimate grounds for such a thing to be playing over and over in my night-time mind.

And yet, right before our tenth anniversary the unspeakable happened. An unexpected chain of events inexorably led to a divorce. Even though I never wanted that to happen, when it did happen I knew that my dreams had been telling me something I had denied with all my heart.

So...I decided to quit dreaming. Just like that. And I did. I didn't dream (or rather, remember my dreams) for almost 5 years. Then something sparked within me the idea that dreams were not just dreams or even precognitive reminders; I wondered if they perhaps served a higher, necessary purpose.

And so I decided, again, this time to remember my dreams. Immediately I began to remember them.

They are still vivid; far more vivid than ever before, but not ominous or overwhelming like they once were. Many times I learn things - through various teaching methods very similar to traditional waking lessons. but there are many other things I dream about, and people, too. People I know and also some that I didn't remember that I had known.

It doesn't seem to me, anymore, that my dreams are what I truly consider dreams. They feel more like literal experiences albeit on 'the other side.'

I've benefited in numerous ways from them and I think that if you can get past the dark times of your dreams, they will give way to very positive experiences. I also feel that probably the unpleasant ones come first as a sort of purging or therapy that is essential to our spiritual health and evolution.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow Annie, that's some dreaming there. But, my dreams aren't usually dark, just strange. Unrealistic events in real places from my past. I dream more of my home town, but, in circumstances that have little to do with my home town (for example). I'll be put in wholly, unrealistic situations that tend to create wholly unrealistic results. Normal, I think. Dreams are supposed to be weird. But it's just that being unused to recalling them in the morning, it comes back to me over and over in my thoughts during the day like a real memory of a real happening. I'm just soooo not used to it and it's quite disconcerting to me. It's like I'm a brand new dreamer with no practical experience. The idea of lucid dreaming is exciting to me and I'd love to attempt it, but, I can't even recognize my dream as a dream until I wake up and realize it was a dream. By then, I'm looking back with wonder and confusion at the content.

I guess practice makes perfect in my case.
Cuhail

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
you could try reading some Freud.

But you said not taking them seriously, after a few chapters of Dr Freud I wanted hang upside down from the ceiling and scream!! It's hard going, that's not putting to fine a point on it.

Try some Hot chocolate before bed. And stay away from the cheese, or anything French... That's nothing to do with dreaming, just general advice.

All the best.

MonKey

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Huh. Odd. I think I know the substance whereof you speak, and since I have a doctor's recommendation for the same, I use it to sleep. I don't find it suppresses my dreams in any way. Though remembering dreams is easier when you wake up in the middle of one, rather than let it go to its end conclusion.

If you need extra cash for Xmas, what I suggest you try before you go back to your substance is to record what you dream in a dream journal. Then you can go back over the journal and see what patterns are coming up in your dream life. It may give you a clue as to what in waking life is weighing on you so you can address it.

If a dream or series of dreams is causing anxiety, it's because you are suppressing some anxiety in your waking life and it has no outlet except when you are sleeping. journaling your dreams may help you figure out what the stressor is so you can deal with it and get on with life.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I find this to be VERY interesting. For a period of a good 10 years or more, I would've sworn I didn't dream at all. And for puropses of comparison, I've never used any "substances" more exotic than the occasional beer or mixed drink. I'm relatively certain I was dreaming, just not remembering any of it.

Lately, like within the last 6 months or so, BAM they're back in all their vivid nonsensical glory. It doesn't bother me, I just find it strange. They never make any sense, but yes, much like you they're very vivid and seem "real" like I'm remembering an actual event rather than a dream the next morning. Or more often, middle of the night when the
dog wakes me up to go out.

Last night's dream featured professional poker player Daniel Negreanu very prominently. I'm not a big fan of televised poker and had to search him out on the web to find his name. He's a real twitchy, blinky, guy. I have no idea where that came from and the dream had nothing to do with poker. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm always cautious about the whole correlation/causality thing. I have no idea why this started up again after a long absence, but I can't think of anything different I've been doing lately. Just saying, MAYBE it has nothing to do with what you are or aren't ingesting. Maybe it does...

Questions, I always have in abundance. Answers... not so much.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yeahright, YOU seem to grasp the whole concept of my dreams as you said it so elequently with:

back in all their vivid nonsensical glory.

and:

they're very vivid and seem "real" like I'm remembering an actual event rather than a dream the next morning.

I'm 99% sure the cause of the remembering, in my case, is the lack of the substance previously refered to because I've refrained from it before and the same thing happens every time.

It's almost....scary, waking up with the memories it produces. So wrong and bizarre.

Cuhail

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have found that my dreamlife is more active when my allergies are acting up. Dust, pollen, dogs, cats and even my feather pillow and pillow case.

When I spin my pillow in the dryer for 10 min and a clean pillowcase, my dreamlife slides back into eroticism where it belongs and the beasts and gray cityscapes are gone until my pillow gets funky again.

Could your renewed dreaming have a physical cause?

[edit on 11-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

There are probably a number of reasons, external and internal, that can cause dreams to be suppressed. I'm sure there are pathologies (stroke, etc.) as well as substances, allergies, just a variety of factors. You're likely correct about your situation, especially if you've had similar previous experience.

I wonder what my deal is? Vivid dreamer for years, then nothing for a very long time, now it's back. When I read your post it just really struck a chord with me. Only I have absolutely no idea in my case why they went away or why they came back. Probably just a natural progression of the >ahem< aging process.

As to your inquiry in your opening post (which I completely forgot about while focusing on ME), I'll throw this opinion out there, not that you should pay any particular attention to it. I'd go with having the dreams. If something's in there that wants to get out, let it. Maybe there's a message in there, or maybe not. I sure don't know.

But then, I refuse to use anti-perspirant. If it wants out, it'll find a way to come out one way or the other, whether it be sweat or dreams. Maybe.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Last night's dream featured professional poker player Daniel Negreanu very prominently.

You're dreaming about Daniel Negreanu??? Dude, I don't think I can talk to you anymore.

j/k

On a personal note, my doctor had me on a mild anti-depressant for awhile and my dreams were whacko. I felt like I was actually concious in my dreams and could control them. So the next time I went to see my doctor I told him that I'm weening myself off the stuff because it messes up your head, so he says with a perplexed look on his face "really, I've been on the stuff for years!".

Peace

[edit on 12-12-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
As long as you are dreaming about poker players, I'd like to suggest Vanessa Rousso as a dream mate. She's a bit better looking than Daniel but probably not as good a poker player...yet.

Have you been eating anything unusual that might be affecting your dreams. haha. Certain foods like cheese may cause dreams of certain animals.

www.spellsandmagic.com...

[edit on 12-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I guess this means I'm being thrown out of the ABBA tribute band.

Originally posted by whaaa
Have you been eating anything unusual that might be affecting your dreams. haha.

I've gone over it and over it and I just can't think of anything I've been doing differently since the dreams started again. Same ol' same ol'. Same diet, same job, same family, same stress. The dreams started back early summer and have been a consistent presence since. Although they make no sense and are just a disjointed, but very real seeming, jumble of confusion.

Thanks for the tip about Vanessa, tho. If there's any way I can substitute Vanessa for Daniel, I will.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
alcohol suppresses dreams too.

I never dream now.

(Hic!)

top topics

join