It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 2 discovers solar system is bent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I, for one, am very fond of the probability of finding life on other planets. But when we find new discoveries of significance to allow forward thinking into how it all began, there is nothing more intrigueing and attention worthy. I was readd\ng the news and came across this, didn't see it posyed so I thought I would share.

New observations from NASA's long-running Voyager 2 spacecraft show the solar system is asymmetrical, likely from disturbances in the interstellar magnetic field, scientists reported Monday. The discovery came after the 30-year-old unmanned probe sailed near the edge of the solar system this past summer following its twin, Voyager 1, which reached that part of space in 2004.

Maybe the efforts will all eventually pay off, but it is the "Hurry up and wait" that get's my gourd. Another ten years and we should be able to get some definates, "Right folk's?" Good story none the less, and very appealing.

Source:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

There is an article at NASA on it to : www.nasa.gov...

Good read

The sad thing is nobody here believes in what NASA writes!

[edit on 11-12-2007 by tep200377]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

hehe..
Though I don't know how this could be twisted as misinformation.. or actually I do have an Idea.

Its a pity that they don't have images of this new realization though. Images are always cool.
Any images?

Good find OP

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Thanks for that NASA link, it explains what they mean much better. I was confused from the description that the solar system was asymmetric or "bent" in the first article, but NASA described it as...

it confirmed that our solar system is “squashed” or “dented”– that the bubble carved into interstellar space by the solar wind is not perfectly round. Where Voyager 2 made its crossing, the bubble is pushed in closer to the sun by the local interstellar magnetic field.

www.nasa.gov...

Voyager 1 crossed the terminal shock at 35 degrees above the elliptical and Voyager 2 crossed at 48 degrees below the elliptical plane 10 million miles away from the first crossing, so that is how they can tell. V2 must have crossed sooner than expected, if I understand this correctly.

An important discovery for sure.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
..Its a pity that they don't have images of this new realization though. Images are always cool.
Any images?

Good find OP

Although there are no images showing the "squashed" or dented heliosphere, I once came across this simple illustration of what they mean by the concept "Termination Shock". I found this very helpful.

Here is an easy to understand explanation of Termination Shock from wikipedia using a kitchen sink. The "Sun" is at the point where the water from the fawcett hits the sink, and the fast flow of water is the solar wind:
Termination Shock

You can do this in your own sink to see exactly what is meant by Termination Shock, and why there would be more compression and heating along the point of termination shock than in the areas in front of and behind it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Sorry I had to check out so soon last evening. Busy day today ya know....

As for the individuals that have posted, TY...

Ihavr read them and was wondering what kind of implications this could have with future research and possible harnessing of creating the same effects in a lab situation, though there is probably know attempt of doing so, it would be rematkable to see if the resistance of the solar winds opposed to the raidience of the sun actually doesn't produce some kind of energy that could be produced by man, in a lab.

Here's a tid-bit that I found about "Termination Shock";

The termination shock is believed responsible for the acceleration of the so-called ``anomalous'' cosmic rays. These are (primarily) singly charged hydrogen, helium, argon, nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon nuclei with energies of order 20 - 300 MeV. It is believed that these particles are originally interstellar neutrals that are picked-up by the solar wind, convected outward, and energised at the termination shock. The details of this acceleration process are still being worked on. However this process occurs, the flux of anomalous cosmic rays should peak at the shock and decrease with increasing distance away from it.

Source:

www.physics.usyd.edu.au...

There are quite a few of the important eliment's on the list and they are, as far as I know, great energy producers. If the Sun and the Solar wind's are in such a cosmic struggle, what will eventually happen or which one would be the first to give out?

Kind of reminds me of the atom. Proton's, nuetron's and nuclei. All of one, but still opposed to one another.

Do you guy's have any in put on if the recreation of this by the chemical standards is scientifically possible?

Sorry about the edit, but I thought that where the info had came from was a really insightful and staging read for the implications of where, what and how this all happens.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Allred5923]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

here's a piccie for u & Merry Christmas too

lots more here

new topics

top topics

join