It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF pilot here in the States... possible F 35 Deal!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I just received some interesting notice from a great friend of mine in Dallas, Texas.

It seems that a family recently moved into their area (their kids go to school together) and they are from Britain. The husband is a current RAF pilot and is somehow connected with the F 35 program in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. He has been part of the test and evaluations of a new fighter that is being developed and tested to some degree in Ft. Worth. This is obviously the JSF. So far, that's about all I have for info but I did think it was worth mentioning since there seems to be so much debate on whether or not the RAF is interested at all in the F 35 any longer. They apparently are interested enough to send some of their high ranking pilots to live here and be part of the testing and evaluations.

Anyway, I will post any new news that I hear on this subject when I hear any!!

Peace, Mondo

[edit on 10-12-2007 by Mondogiwa]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
There is at least 1 RAF pilot type qualified on the F22 - does that mean the RAF will buy them? NO but alliaed airforces routinesly cross train some of there pilots on other nations equipment.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Harlequin,

Sir, I understand and already know this information, but thanks. The reason that I posted this info is simply just to elaborate on the already ongoing dealings that the RAF has with the U.S. involving the JSF. It has been pointed out here a number of times that the RAF and U.S. JSF dealings may not be going well, but alas, there may be more info and involvement on this.

The fact that this RAF pilot is here and on a semi-permanent station suggests that he is part of a team that is undergoing some serious talks and performance issues regarding the JSF is all. Again, I will post any more info as I get any...just thought it was worth mentioning really??

Peace, Mondo

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Mondogiwa]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mondogiwa

Thanks Mondo for the info. Is nice to know little confirmed tid bits of info like this that help flesh out the current situation with the program. Any more info that you get would be great to help understand what exactly he is doing with the program.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mondogiwa

Firstly i apologise , i came over rather abrutly and for that i am sorry - the info is very much worth it - i must ask , could this person be the very source of the informationregarding the F35 not being properly A2A capable till 2016 i wonder?

gave you a star - great first hand

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Although there are doubts being expressed in the UK about the F-35 BAE and the RAF will not simply stop involvement while these doubts are ironed out. Any prior arrangemets will always be honoured until the axe actually falls, although there is nothing really to say that it ever will.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Harlequin,

Absolutely no apology needed!! I think all of us here in the aircraft forum pride ourselves on accurate details to every degree, for that I actually applaud you sir. But thanks for the hand, as mentioned I am just trying to find out more. I really think the JSF is an amazing aircraft, and I would love to see the aircraft and its exportation come to fruition.

Peace to you all, keep up the good work. I will try to get back to write more later.........................Mondo

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
On a totally unrelated note, there is also an RAF pilot rated as Mission Commander on the B-2. He's actually been involved in several interesting milestones with the Spirits.

Squadron Leader David Athertun flies with the 13th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, and has deployed to Anderson AFB in Guam with the Group.

As of August 2006 he was the only foreign pilot to ever fly the B-2 (I believe he still is the only foreign pilot to fly it, but am too tired to double check that).

He was involved in flying a Spirit from Australia back to Anderson after doing an engine running crew change at RAAF Darwin, which was the first time a B-2 ever landed in Australia.

He oversees long range scheduling for the 13th EBS, including exercises and deployments, so he is not merely here to show the UK flag, so to speak.

He has many interesting things to say, some rather humorous.

His initial experiences flying the B-2 provided some unique moments, for both him and the air traffic controllers at Whiteman AFB.

"We are two nations separated by a common language. During my early days at Whiteman, air traffic controllers seemed to have a lot of difficulty understanding me on the radio," he said. "When it came to my first flight, apparently one of the controllers in the tower turned to another and asked, 'Is he hijacking that jet?'"

www.af.mil...

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I thought that was pretty interesting.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Zaphod,

Always a pleasure to read your thoughts, please feel free to add anything you like to the thread, it's all related to some degree for us here, right!?

Peace, Mondo

top topics

join