It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's hear it, then.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I extend a warm welcome to all curious minds.

Due to understandably the limited success of a previous thread, I have decided to invite all forum members to a general discussion. The same topics intrigue us all; aliens, spirituality, existence; life, and death. We want to better comprehend the universe around us; what better way to begin than by trying to understand our place in it? Beyond that, what better place to do so than this site?

Our world consists of myriad events, and each event is both a cause and effect. It is my intention to draw attention to these events, so that we may see how our resulting perspectives are formed. It is also my hope that in the course of our discussion, we will have some evidence that different perspectives aren't necessarily dissimilar.

I don't have all the answers: In fact, I don't have any answers -- and no one else does. The purpose of this thread is to discuss thoughts, intuitions, feelings: I have as many of those as you have, and they're equally as valid and interesting. So there should be no disrespect, either to me or to anyone else who wishes to state their opinions here.

And with that, I open the floor. Once again, welcome; I wish you may delicious blueberry muffins and valuable conversations in your lifetime.
Unless, of course, you're allergic to blueberries -- or pastry. In any case, let's hear what you have to say.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Do you know much about science, in any detail? Physics, chemistry, space?

I love to let my mind wander about the universe, existence, etc.; but sometimes I don't feel as comfortable expressing it out loud due to the fact that I'm not so educated on the science of some of the things that pertain to my ideas.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, and welcome to the thread!

I am an avid reader -- but that's it, really. I don't have any degrees in any Science fields. I enjoy speculating on topics like these, based on available information about them. But like I said before, I don't actually know anything about them.

Science, as a practice, is only capable of making highly educated guesses. Still, there are a large number of anomalies, in almost every field of science, which are yet to be conclusively explained. Our lack of knowledge does not -- and should not -- prevent us from exploring the things we are aware of.

Besides, you won't learn about the Science behind your ideas until you discuss them first
Don't feel uncomfortable here; I would like to know where your mind wanders in the Universe, and in existence. You may also find that others share your ideas, and can express it in different terms.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Currently my mind is focused, intrigued really, on your Cat removal service. What is done with the cats after you remove them, price lists for cat removal, discounts for mass removal, family plans, size restrictions, breeds, etc.

I too am an entrepreneur currently working on unit extension.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Actually, that is an excellent question; what is Cat Prevention/Removal? How did I arrive at that?

The obvious statement is that there is no such thing. However, I 'suddenly' thought it would be an amusing thing to put up; so I hopped into Photoshop and made it happen.

While the phrase itself is new (to me), I can trace the idea behind it to several previous experiences: The earliest was a card my sister showed me, probably 5 or 6 years ago. It belonged to a new acquaintance of hers, and listed such unlikely (available) services as Alligator Castration -- unfortunately, the only one I remember clearest. Of course, I thought it was hilarious; and thus inspired, my humor began to evolve along such lines. Later acquaintances would furnish me the ability to make up things on the spot, as visible in the following hypothetical conversation:

A: Did you hear about the new bill just passed by Congress?

Me: No -- but I don't care about politics. Ever since that unfortunate incident on Rigel 4 (the one involving the moose and the Mesopotamian zebra people), I've decided to wash my hands off the whole affair.

And so, I gradually developed an ability to connect unrelated concepts (Mesopotamia+zebra+people) to create an absurd (and therefore amusing) idea.

Does anyone else want to try?

[edit on 1/28/2008 by Mr Jackdaw]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hahaha. Sounds like an adventure I might give a try in the future.

But hey, thanks very much. I can honestly say I feel better about my abstract thoughts. I mean, if anything, they're good, right? Thinking outside the box is something that has lead to many great discoveries and thoughts.

Lacking some knowledge and speculating, we might be on the better side of thinking, seeing as how we're already outside of the box.

Onward?

I heard something about the universe being shaped like a donut...What's up with that? If the big bang theory is true, the universe expands from a singularity(still mostly unexplained). It expands just like the hot galaxies. In a circular motion, right? Outward.

Can anyone shed light on the idea of a donut-shaped universe? I'm really curious.

top topics

join