It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Golden Compass" review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This fantasy is a wonderful visual treat. Even the most jaded film goer will be blown away by this escapist dream.

A great dark script that posed some interesting questions.

Great casting with newcomer Dakota Blue Richards as a fantastic kid heroine and Nicole Kidman as a beautiful bitch goddess.

The best CGI I have ever seen. Better than "Lord of the Rings" "300" anything!

Flawless editing. If the sequals are anywhere near as good as this first film, it is bound to be a film classic.

Go see this one.dancing clowns

[edit on 10-12-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 10-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Most people that read the book, that i know, were mad that the role of religion was down played.

And rather then being against the church, and christianity, it is just against some randome cult.

Did you read the books?

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I read the book. The book was better, IMO.. but usually, books are better than the movies. Anyways, i thought the movie was pretty good and it was pretty true to the book but theres some things i would have done different.

The only major complaint i have with this movie is the first hour or so was terribly slow and boring. I know it was setting up the story and the events to come but it was still very very boring. In books, when things are being set up its usually a lot more ineteresting because the authors let you paint your own settings and pictures in your head. In this movie it was given to us.

Good movie though.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I haven't seen the movie or read the books!

A prize-winning children’s books Author, Philip Pullman.
Philip Pullman and his beliefs....

Read the A dark agenda?

As for adult entertainment, it is just that!

and here
is his 2005 essay on religion and identity.

Parents should understand that a child absorbs much when still quite young.....the influences around him/her can very much effect his/her adult life.
One way to control people is through the movies and the media.
Although an adult understands what is right or wrong, a child does not!

The books are three in number
The Northern lights.....made into the movie 'The Golden Compass'.
The Subtle Knife....
The Amber spyglass......

His Dark Materials has occasioned some controversy, especially amongst Christian groups.[14][15] "I've been surprised by how little criticism I've got. Harry Potter's been taking all the flak… Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said.
My books are about killing God."[16]

The above quote/below link.....
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join