It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Bilderberger) Conrad Black Sentenced to Over Six Years in Prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
This is a classic example how white collar criminals pay less for their misdeeds than petty thieves. I'm definitely down for laws and sentencing guidelines to be applied equally among thieves.

Leaving all the Bilderberger blather aside, this is the most salient point made on the thread.

People who cause massive ruin to thousands of lives face less punishment than a bloke who may have physically hurt no-one in a career of bag-snatching and pickpocketing or even car theft.

Words are important and terms such as "white-collar" crime need to be done away with. There are two types of crime (while I'm venting): violent and non-violent. But non-violent crime such as Enron actually hurts more than a single murder. So, when is society going to demand changes?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by HowlrunnerIV

The term white-collar also does denote non-violent crime, but I think you make an excellent point! It's better to deal with crime and the types of crime committed rather than creating special categories reserved for certain individuals representing different backgrounds. This also aids in an increased efficiency of thinking and analysis of crime, and it's possible that future policies addressing crime would come to reflect that. Great post!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join