It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Freemason, having some doubts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was always kind of interested in free-masonry. I knew that my grandfather is a mason and his father and father's father were all masons, so in this spirit of family tradition I recently took my first degree in my local lodge. I read extensively on ATS about masonry and through reading the knowledge and passion of members like masonic light and axeman I was excited about my future in the craft.

At my first lodge meeting I attended they had elections and there was a lot of bickering and tensions because no-one wanted any of the posistions. They practically had to beg people to take a position. Since there was few members actually there it was made even harder. I just sat there and wondered if this fraternity is so great why is no one willing to take a position of leadership.

After the election business was sorted out, they then proceeded to bicker about a date for a potential brother to take his first degree. The senior Warden stated he couldn't do it on the 21st because he would be celebrating. Someone said it was a holiday and the senior warden said it was "no holiday of his, but you can bet he would celebrate" then everyone laughed. I was lost about what was so funny until the junior warden explained to me that it "was Martin Luther COON day, and they would be celebrating his murder.

Many members there thought this was funny, but I got very upset and almost got up and left. I felt like I had joined the clan instead of the masons. I know it is not the fault of freemasony that some of there members are racists, but my excitement for this lodge has come in question after this.

Anyway, I was just wanting some advice as to what you guys think I should do about this. I joined to become a better man and gain knowledge, not to associate with racists.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Oak

I am curious, you state that you recently were initiated as an Entered Apprentice and then mention that you participated in your first meeting. You made no mention of being raised to Master Mason which I find curious as only Master Masons can vote and as such you would not, by the rules of the lodge, be permitted to be in the lodge room at that time. Perhaps you can clarify this error or omission for me?

[edit on 10-12-2007 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Oak

At my first lodge meeting I attended they had elections and there was a lot of bickering and tensions because no-one wanted any of the posistions. They practically had to beg people to take a position. Since there was few members actually there it was made even harder. I just sat there and wondered if this fraternity is so great why is no one willing to take a position of leadership.

That is not to uncommon.. Some positions it seems people just don't want. I see the Tylor as being the most avoided job. Secretary as well.. though my lodge has had the same one for like.. 25 years I think. But in a small lodge where only a very few go to meetings, some people simply get tired of it perhaps. My position is not the best of all positions by any means lol, JW, but hey you got to get in some place right?

After the election business was sorted out, they then proceeded to bicker about a date for a potential brother to take his first degree. The senior Warden stated he couldn't do it on the 21st because he would be celebrating. Someone said it was a holiday and the senior warden said it was "no holiday of his, but you can bet he would celebrate" then everyone laughed. I was lost about what was so funny until the junior warden explained to me that it "was Martin Luther COON day, and they would be celebrating his murder.

Well thats just sad you ended up in that lodge. States allow members to hold two lodges some times, or you can always move to another lodge with more respectable brothers. I know I wouldn't want to be around people that rude. Sounds like you just didn't luck out, and got stuck with a few bigots who perhaps don't take Masonry to heart as they should. My advise is find a new home lodge. Are there any other lodges in your town? Perhaps bigger and more involved lodge?

There will always be a bad apple, everyone is Human.

Anyway, I was just wanting some advice as to what you guys think I should do about this. I joined to become a better man and gain knowledge, not to associate with racists.

My advise is, find a new lodge.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
reply to post by The Oak

I am curious, you state that you recently were initiated as an Entered Apprentice and then mention that you participated in your first meeting. You made no mention of being raised to Master Mason which I find curious as only Master Masons can vote and as such you would not, by the rules of the lodge, be permitted to be in the lodge room at that time. Perhaps you can clarify this error or omission for me?

Hmm. I missed that part. Although, can't a new member be present at a vote but simply not be allowed to vote?

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Oak

Yeah, I'm going to be a bit skeptic about this one.

(1) Why would you base you research on masonry by reading ATS? Obviously all of the forums here have, at best, a conspiracy bent, and some of the stuff posted is quite literally - crazy. The same thing for the secret societies forum - and that's ok because it IS a conspiracy site. But if you were really interested in masonry, why in the world would consider ATS a primary source?

(2) As Augustus points out, your post indicates you initiated an EA and then sat in the meeting. Clarify that one for us. If you don't know why we would ask about this, it will tell us much.

(3) Statements like "if this is such a great fraternity, why does no one want to do anything" and "i felt like i joined the clan" is truly questionable from someone who claims to have begun their journey to light in masonry. I and others have said many times before there are a few "bad" lodges - if you happened to get a "bad" lodge - then you would of course know what to do after contacting your Grand Lodge. I assure you they wouldn't stand for what you heard, if what you say is true.

(4) As you must know by now, there are literally hundreds of mason boards that are in a far more friendly environment, in that the boards actually like masonry - where as in this forum, the topic is constantly being debated on. Why would you not post in some other forum, where this sort of question would rightfully belong?

[edit on 10-12-2007 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Not in my district.

Edit was to remove some information which might be esoteric in nature. I will u2u.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I can only speak for North Carolina and the few other lodges I have been at out of state, but I have never seen that allowed. In North Carolina, you cannot be present at any meeting except when it's open on your degree or lower, and the only time any meeting is opened on the EA or FC is only for the degree work.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Here in SC, like NC, only Master Masons can attend business meetings. In some states, however, business meetings are opened on the First Degree.

To the OP: If it were me, I would write a letter to the Grand Master, CC'd to the Grand Secretary, explaining why I could not in good conscience return to that Lodge.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I was allowed to attend the meeting, but had to leave the room when the opened the meeting in the 2nd and 3rd degrees and then let back in when regular business was resumed. Since I am new, didn't know this was not the way it is done.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Oak
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I was allowed to attend the meeting, but had to leave the room when the opened the meeting in the 2nd and 3rd degrees and then let back in when regular business was resumed.

I am not quite following you, can you elaborate a bit more? Would you also mind telling me what state and district the lodge is located in? Feel free to employ u2u if you do not wish to reveal it on the thread. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I didn't come to ATS looking into masonry. I kind of stumbled upon the secret societies forum while on here and it sparked my interest. I feel that I could see through most of conspiracy fluff about masonry on here to become interested in its true foundations/principles.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for my post. I thought I could see what others thought of my experience. I was not aware also that I should not have been at the meeting in the first place. Like I said in an earlier reply, they told I would just have to step outside while the lodge was opened in the 2nd and 3rd degrees. I just sat there a talked to the tyler until they let me back in.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I must confess that I do not see why you would not explore sites that are devoted to the fraternity and esoteric aspects of masonry when you are considering joining - instead of a forum that covers conspiracy theories for a wide range of societies, including masonry. I post on those other forums, and I also post here because I find this forum offers a great deal of comedy. You must forgive me for being suspicious, but given some of the stuff I have seen on this board I find its in my best interest to question most of what's posted, even seemingly legitimate questions. If a fellow brother confirms you are legitimate, then I apologize in advance for being suspicious.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
nothing sounds that out of place, except for the blatant racism. I can't say what I would have done in a similar situation, but I would have probably kept my mouth shut, and never went back to that particular lodge.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I agree with scientist. And to give my two cents, my lodge was opened on the 1st degree for stated communications every time I can remember with the exception of a Fellowcraft class's degree that was ahead of me at the time. I was allowed in during business related meaning I simply sat in "darkness" (masonic term for where 1st degrees sit, don't read too much into it) and did not vote when it came time for it. My lodge is considered very well respected by neighboring lodges so I know nothing we are doing there is irregular.

Thus, I do not find it irregular that he was allowed in to at least part of the meeting. Although depending on your state it could be different of course. Given the bigotry inherent in the lodge and having to beg for new officers (although this is a problem in many lodges) it does not seem like it is a well run lodge to begin with so other problems could certainly happen.

I agree with the idea of contacting the Grand Lodge Secretary with your complaints. I don't care how southern your state is, NO grand lodge should tolerate racism like that.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I agree with the other posts here and add this:

If there is that much bickering and complaining going on and some dont want to take responsibility or certain positions, there is a lack of proper dedication and commitment. This is so far removed from proper lodge conduct that your best choice is to write them a letter saying

"Im sorry, but I will no longer be able to attend, blabla...." and then go find yourself something else.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is great. The Masons immediately question your integrity because you are second guessing your decision.

This is a perfect example of why no one in their right mind should ever join the occult called Freemason.

Disgusting.

by the way, I flagged it for you.

And oh, by the way, 8 masons replies before the OP replied.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by stompk]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I caught that comment about there being things on the altar that someone shouldn't see. This makes Masonry sound like a cult or a religion. Sounds pretty childish.

You boys always have to have your little secrets. You don't ever seem to grow out of that.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Actually, I am suspicious because this is exactly the sort of thing tinfoil hat people like you would do - just to start drama. But keep trolling to get a response, you won't get one out of me. Previously I'd just debunk you line by line, but it's been demonstrated to me going into the gutter with people like you simply is not worth it.

And to the above poster, since your just trolling for a response all I'll say is: I'm sorry your upset you weren't let in to our secret little club. We're watching you. Yes we are.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I'm not upset, but you certainly appear to be. I'm not interested in being involved in your childish rituals. To me it's just more proof that some men never grow up.

Interesting statement there, "We're watching you. Yes we are." That screams evil.

None of you little apron-wearers can be trusted. You've just proven it.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 123143

I would like to thank you for providing me with so much comedy today. I haven't laughed out loud at a internet post in a long time. Thanks

The word for the day is "sarcasm." I invite you to understand it, and then come back and start showing us proof about how we are - satan worshippers, a cult, controlling the world, or whatever other theory without proof you want to bring up. But do so in another thread.

And the topic derailment continues...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join