It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Rules in Drug Sentencing, Gun Cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Supreme Court Rules in Drug Sentencing, Gun Cases

ap.google.com

Court Rules in Gun Case

2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court unanimously refused on Monday to broaden the impact of a law that adds extra prison time to the sentences of drug traffickers who use a gun in carrying out their crimes.

In a 9-0 decision, the court said the tough anti-crime provision does not apply to traffickers who trade drugs for guns.

The court overturned the gun-related conviction of Michael A. Watson of Ascension Parish, La., who told a man who turned out to be a government informant that Watson wanted a weapon for self-protection and was willing to trade illegal drugs for it.

The issue in the case was whether receiving a gun in exchange for drugs constitutes "use" of the gun under federal law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thoughts on this one? I am still soaking this one in. I don't yet have a formal opinion but I will weigh in after further reading the judges decision on the official court case.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of Justice Souter, but I think the Supreme Court made the right call on this one. I don't think a reasonable person would say trading drugs for an unloaded gun constitutes "using" the gun in the commission of a crime. 56 years seems like a very harsh sentence for this offense.

join