It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

We're under attack..

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I believe a lot of the 'low quality' posts & topics we've been getting here over the past few months is part of a concerted effort to confuse, divide, mitigate & relegate the 'real' stories of importance to divert attention and marginalize it all to 'weird goofy' made up stories and detract attention from the good ones. You all know the kind of stories Im talking about thats been on here lately.

I believe its well organized & has a pointed motive..




posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this thread is about the same tenor: Rogue Members

Remember the demographic here. There are a lot of young, impressionable types posting.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jainatorres
 


That's an interesting hypothesis, and one that I find to be plausible if unlikely. There are certainly a lot of such posts, but they have a lot of flags and replies, so it couldn't just be a small cabal - "they" are managing to get attention.

Evidence?

[edit on 10-12-2007 by disownedsky]



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Yea similar but I was a 'vet' of the old yahoo message board forums and I don't know if any of you used to go them but they were an absolute trolls haven and Im seeing very very similar types of behaviors here..its not just newbies who are ignorant to ATS..they are very experienced and good at what they do.
The intentional mis-spelling in the titles, the childish/inflammatory subject lines and completely bogus stories with obviously bad photoshop attempts ect ect
its been bringing down the quality of the site.
I thought there was a ban on any reptilian threads but I've seen quite a few
lately in blatant defiance and it goes on..



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jainatorres
 


or maybe everyone just keeps posting the same things in different wordage and its taking up so much space and time to sift through stuff that isnt always the same subject



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yea, those rogue members jump into threads and start with up their nonsense and then disappear again.
Just tells you how much they're really interested in those Alien and Ufo threads they jump into because you never see them contributing to any threads in this forum on anything near what could be called a regular basis. They just get their kicks by harassing posters here if and when they're in the mood for it.

I find it very annoying.



[edit on 10-12-2007 by Palasheea]



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Due to this problem i only get over to the ufo fourms every few months or so now... ever since the chadsqueto... it just hasnt been the same



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
One mans poison is another mans food.

What may seem to be low quality to you is of course a major topic to others.

And with all due respect, looking at the stats in your mini profile, I find it hard to determine how you can judge the topics in such a way.

I am glad this site exists as it gives me a broad spectrum of scope through which to peruse over at my will. Sure, there are other similar sites, yet not many that have the same flavour as this.

Even if the spell checker can't sort out proper English from American English


Long live variety, for it is the spice of life.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is beyond silly and more than a bit arrogant. If you believe there is some near omnipotent conspiracy covering up the truth about UFOs and aliens, do you really believe they think that ATS is somehow a threat to Them?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this place. However, we got to be honest. We're not doing anything here revolutionary or world-shaking. If you believe in The Conspiracy, do you really think they'd waste time and resources to disrupt an internet forum?

Even if there were such thing as the Conspiracy, there would be a finite amount of people they could allow in on the truth before it reaches critical-mass, and the truth is known to the public-at-large. If you believe the Conspiracy to be near omnipotent, you know they would have to realize they have this. Why would they allow people in on the truth just to disrupt an internet forum, when those people would count towards that finite amount?

And, if you believe in the Conspiracy, why stop at thinking they are sending disinformation agents into the forums just to confuse us? What is not to say they didn't set up this very forum themselves in order to spread disinformation, confuse and discredit us?

Truth is, even if there is a government cover-up of UFOs, the government doesn't need disinformation agents. The UFO believers themselves do a good enough job muddying the waters, a much better job than any government could ever do. Just look at the silliness some of the hard-core believers engage in. Just look at the personality-battles that take place. For every serious researcher or discussion, there are ten from otherwise earnest people that discredit UFO research.

In fact, I would point to this thread itself as a great-example of UFO believers doing themselves in.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jainatorres
I thought there was a ban on any reptilian threads but I've seen quite a few
lately in blatant defiance and it goes on..


I think that ban has to do with the "this odd bit of pixellation in the eyeball in this video is proof of Shapeshifting Reptilians!" threads.

You are never going to get rid of discussion of "Reptilians" or "Draco/Draconians" or "Zetans" completely, as there's simply too much anecdoctal evidence. Salla, for one, thinks there's a real Reptilian race, as do many other witnesses and contactees.

Plus all the cave paintings and hieroglyphics, ancient myths and legends, references to them in the Bible and other ancient texts, etc etc....



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hi

Can you do me a favour when you make such post titles try and place them in skunkwork's.

For anyone with a little bit of interest when they first see a title like this in the section it is in they expect a little more.

Not much more just a little more.

Thank you.

Regard'd
Lee



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I agree but there has to be a line drawn somewhere..and when it crosses that line its in the realm of pure trolling & subversion I think and we're well across the line with 80% of the topics here lately.



Originally posted by Extralien
One mans poison is another mans food.

What may seem to be low quality to you is of course a major topic to others.

And with all due respect, looking at the stats in your mini profile, I find it hard to determine how you can judge the topics in such a way.

I am glad this site exists as it gives me a broad spectrum of scope through which to peruse over at my will. Sure, there are other similar sites, yet not many that have the same flavour as this.

Even if the spell checker can't sort out proper English from American English


Long live variety, for it is the spice of life.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I didn't want this to be a "whining about the whiners" discussion..but this used to be a place where we could take serious cases and talk about them but lately its "OMG mi kat is a Reptlillian!" kinda thing you know what I mean just look at the last few pages..its out of control..



Originally posted by SaviorComplex
This is beyond silly and more than a bit arrogant. If you believe there is some near omnipotent conspiracy covering up the truth about UFOs and aliens, do you really believe they think that ATS is somehow a threat to Them?





Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.



[edit on 10-12-2007 by elevatedone]



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jainatorres
I didn't want this to be a "whining about the whiners" discussion..but this used to be a place where we could take serious cases and talk about them but lately its "OMG mi kat is a Reptlillian!" kinda thing you know what I mean just look at the last few pages..its out of control..


It may be out of control, but you have to remember most of the posters are earnest in their beliefs, and may be young and impressionable. The problems you are describing are going to be found in any internet forum, especially one on a subject such as this. The best way to maintain the quality of the forum is to ignore the threads you think to be inane, and push those you believe to be worthwhile.

Another option is to take those kids or anyone else you feel is making a silly post under your wing. Educate them.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by SaviorComplex]



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
This is beyond silly and more than a bit arrogant. If you believe there is some near omnipotent conspiracy covering up the truth about UFOs and aliens, do you really believe they think that ATS is somehow a threat to Them?


Yes and no.

Assuming The Conspiracy does exist (and I think it does), "They" would need to have control points in the mainstream media. They would also need to have teams of people monitoring the Internet, especially sites like this one.

One site by itself is no major threat, even if it stumbles across "The Truth", because for every such site, They can very easily have ten Disinformation sites pushing contrary information.

Now if one group or site could manage to unite a good chunk of the Internet under one banner, have thousands of well-informed people with easy access to solid evidence pushing the information on a daily basis, spreading it via email etc - that would be a different story!

Is ATS that site? Right now, no. Because it's members are in a perpetual state of conflict with one another. Every "Believer" that pops up and tries to motivate and lead people is instantly met by five or ten "Debunkers" who do whatever it takes to ruin his/her credibility, and so on and so on.

ATS is an eternal war between Believers and Debunkers, it's like the proverbial man-at-war-with-himself. And so little of note is actually accomplished.

Hopefully that will start to change with the new leadership initiatives of the ATS staff, the FOIA documents etc.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
Every "Believer" that pops up and tries to motivate and lead people is instantly met by five or ten "Debunkers" who do whatever it takes to ruin his/her credibility, and so on and so on...ATS is an eternal war between Believers and Debunkers, it's like the proverbial man-at-war-with-himself. And so little of note is actually accomplished.


You should not assume that if someone is a "debunker" that they are attempting to ruin someone's credibility. Most "debunkers" are just as interested in finding the truth as anyone else, and in order to find that truth, we need to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I do not believe we should be dividing ourselves into camps such as Believers or Debunkers/Skeptics (though I admit I am as guilty as anyone else, aligning myself in the skeptic column). Rather, we should be united towards one goal, the truth, whatever that may be. While we may have different ideas of what that truth may be, it is the basic quest for the truth that draws any of us to ATS. Even if you are a believer, you have to admit a healthy dose of skepticism, and a demand for a high standard of evidence can only help your cause. And though I am skeptical, like Mulder's poster said, I want to believe. Both skeptic and believer should be willing to work together and accept the truth, no matter what it may be.

Lofty goals, I know, but something we should work towards.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
You should not assume that if someone is a "debunker" that they are attempting to ruin someone's credibility. Most "debunkers" are just as interested in finding the truth as anyone else, and in order to find that truth, we need to seperate the wheat from the chaff.


True enough, there are the mild "let's just stick to the facts and evidence" debunkers, but there are also some particularly vicious debunkers, at whom I'm not going to point any fingers here




I do not believe we should be dividing ourselves into camps such as Believers or Debunkers/Skeptics (though I admit I am as guilty as anyone else, aligning myself in the skeptic column). Rather, we should be united towards one goal, the truth, whatever that may be. While we may have different ideas of what that truth may be, it is the basic quest for the truth that draws any of us to ATS.


Yes exactly, as a united community we can possibly make a big difference, but divided.... ATS can pretty much be ignored.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jainatorres
I believe a lot of the 'low quality' posts & topics we've been getting here over the past few months is part of a concerted effort to confuse, divide, mitigate & relegate the 'real' stories of importance to divert attention and marginalize it all to 'weird goofy' made up stories and detract attention from the good ones. You all know the kind of stories Im talking about thats been on here lately.

I believe its well organized & has a pointed motive..


Kinda like this one?



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr

True enough, there are the mild "let's just stick to the facts and evidence" debunkers, but there are also some particularly vicious debunkers, at whom I'm not going to point any fingers here



That is not something exclusive to debunkers, but rather endemic of the internet community as a whole. For every vicious debunker, there will be a vicious believer. It is a symptom of keyboard courage, not skepticism.



posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You missed my comment I guess earlier..so its not ok to comment about the trash we have been getting here lately? Its getting hard to ignore. Im not talking about the debunking but the moronic kind of posts which go like " my grandad was abducted by aliens!" in that vein..Im not gonna 'out' anybody's posts in particular but you all know what Im talking about don't play stupid.



Originally posted by Unit541

Originally posted by jainatorres
I believe a lot of the 'low quality' posts & topics we've been getting here over the past few months is part of a concerted effort to confuse, divide, mitigate & relegate the 'real' stories of importance to divert attention and marginalize it all to 'weird goofy' made up stories and detract attention from the good ones. You all know the kind of stories Im talking about thats been on here lately.

I believe its well organized & has a pointed motive..


Kinda like this one?



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join