It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Explodes Human-Global Warming Story

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Scary stuff. I been thinking a lot about all this since news broke that other planets are going through global changes as well. That would definitely mean to point all arrows towards the sun. Some things that comes to my mind...

Maybe the sun is going through changes emitting some unknown more powerful rays then what we already know and it's penetrating our atmosphere.

Maybe all the planets orbits are decaying around the sun and we are being pulled closer towards it.

The sun is getting bigger/brighter.

It is far worse than just the sun heating up. You may want to ask yourself, as I have; what would make the sun heat up.

There is scientific evidence that our part of the solar system is approaching what is called the galactic plane. We are actually already at the edges of it and that is why we are seeing the effects on our planet and the solar system as a whole..... BAD NEWS it is. Check out the Horizon Project. There's other info available but no one has put it together quite like they have.

Here's a little snippet of just one link of interest:

Stothers and I first suggested that passage of the Solar System
through the galactic plane could lead to gravitational disturbance
of some of the trillions of comets that orbit the Sun in the
so-called Oort Cloud, resulting in periodic showers of comets in the
inner Solar System. Recent work by astrophysicist John Matese and
colleagues at the University of Southwestern Louisiana has confirmed
that the pull of the combined mass of the material in the galactic
disk is sufficient to induce a hail of comets during our passage
though the central plane. Like Shiva, the Hindu Destroyer/Creator,
the cyclic impacts bring an end to one world, and allow the
beginning of a new one. With the Chicxulub impact 65 million years
ago, the Mesozoic world, populated by giant dinosaurs and flying
reptiles, gave way to the modern world of mammals and birds.

Link to external content

But it is even worse than these researches realize.

-Euclid

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos

LOL you don't need to have volcano eruptions of asteroids hitting us to cause warming and/or cooling periods although they speed things up a bit.

Nah this is just a natural cycle as discussed many times before by countless other people.

LOL?! seriously, you're laughing at me? And then you don't even give any kind of explanation of your statement about climate 'cycles'

Where are all the other scientifically trained people? Why do I feel like I'm drowning in ignorance on this thread.

Things don't just happen. Especially this quickly without some major event or series of events.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear how this 'cycle' naturally propagates without the aforementioned geological events in such a fast-paced manner.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Warming expert says the 'Arctic is screaming'

Record ice melt seen on Greenland

Okay, ya'll just keep pushing your "globalization conspiracy" paranoia and false science. Just hope that you (or any of your descendants) don't live anywhere close to sea level. I guess you like to play with loaded guns huh people! This is serious stuff folks and I resent you making a political issue out of it (at the expense of the planet).

[edit on 11-12-2007 by whatsup]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by angst18

Originally posted by euclid
The truth is the entire solar system is heating up. Earth being a member of the solar system is heating up right along with it and causing ice to melt.

Prove it.

There is ample proof out there and I don't need to prove anything to you (or anyone else for that matter) because I have already researched it to my satisfaction. I have several other posts on this forum that have links of interest to various articles that indicate that all of the planets are experiencing global warming.

I am not bantering my idea or theory. It is information that is already widely available to you or anyone else that has a little initiative to search for the data (Science Journal, Nature Journal, PhysOrg, Cambridge, and many other major university and private research studies). If you don't educate yourself on the issue you will remain ignorant.

Don't expect me to prove what is all ready widely known in the astrophysical research community.

-Euclid

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Where are all the other scientifically trained people? Why do I feel like I'm drowning in ignorance on this thread.

Doing their best to get the 5 IQ points back they've lost in the last couple of days being involved in this thread?

There is only so much I can do - When I've just spent a few posts explaining why the idea of solar variations underpinning solar system-wide warming is not supported by the evidence, to then see another post stating this as fact, I just start to think 'frack it'.

Round and round we go. Like whack-a-mole.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

There is ample proof out there

Wrong. There is no proof that the "solar system" is heating up. I have not read a single, peer-reviewed study in any science journal to this effect.

Not only that, but the planets are so vastly different in their various chemical atmospheric make up, not to mention weather patterns and topography, that it's completely misleading when people try to compare any increase in their temps. (and it's not easy to get the average temperature fluctuation of a planet - especially one with atmosphere)

I am not bantering my idea or theory. It is information that is already widely available to you or anyone else that has a little initiative to search for the data (Science Journal, Nature Journal, PhysOrg, Cambridge, and many other major university and private research studies). If you don't educate yourself on the issue you will remain ignorant.

As a physics student, I'm constantly around astrophysics profs. and not one of them gives any credence to the idea that the sun's miniscule temperature variations have anything to do with the rapid pace of earth's current temperature increase.

Don't expect me to prove what is all ready widely known in the astrophysical research community.

-Euclid

I can almost guarantee with 99.9% certainty that I'm more connected within the astrophysical research community than yourself.

edit: As I've already stated, I have subscriptions to both the Journal Science and Physics today.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by angst18]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

There is ample proof out there and I don't need to prove anything to you (or anyone else for that matter) because I have already researched it to my satisfaction.

Actually, wrong. When you make a claim, you are required to back it up. That's how a discussion works.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Thank you melatonin, you made me laugh, which has alleviated some of my frustration. Nice to have an ally.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by angst18

Well, I have to say I'm with you now too. After finding out about faulty scientific evidence that DOESN'T support global warming, I really don't see if the global-warming-is-bs crowd has a leg to stand on.

And I really thought global warming was a scam...amazing. It would seem that all the info that traderonwallst and people who think global warming is bunk have been using, has just been discredited as of yesterday.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by bigbert81]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It's common sence, solar activity will increase, eventualy earth will burn out, it's just the way it is.
This with hocus pocus co2 warming up the planet is not true, it is causing polution and makes the air unhospitable that is true but it has nothing to do with global warming.
It is belived at first the earth was all covered in snow, by the time of the dinasor era things were already diferent, our planet will keep worming up because the sun will constantly increase it's output until it either go's nova or it go's in implodes generating a black hole, suns will constantly incrrease output until they go out and our sun is just folowing the script, planets in general like mars for exapmple are geting hoter and hoter

www.nature.com/news/2007/070402/full/070402-5.html

Mars is getting hotter. Measurements of the brightness of the planet's surface show that the thermometer has ratcheted up some 0.65 °C over a few decades

boortz.com...

recent issue of Geophysical Research Letters (surely you're a subscriber) revealed that Neptune has been getting warmer since 1980. ...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

It'd be nice if folks would read the thread before posting. I think I went through the whole mars thing back on page 12

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

I don't think anybody's disputing the Earth getting warmer, we're disputing what exactly is causing and/or contributing/accelerating it.

I hope this is not a one liner.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Thank you melatonin, you made me laugh, which has alleviated some of my frustration. Nice to have an ally.

No problem. Nice to see a physics student here.

Maybe you can explain the inverse square law to Dae for me, heh.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by angst18

Well, how about ploto and neptune, they are the most distant planets from the sun, if the output of the sun is incresing I would say that is why they are worming up?
The whole solar sistem is worming up even the moons of neptune are reporting such readings and are worming up.

hubblesite.org...

Hubble Space Telescope Helps Find Evidence that Neptune's Largest Moon Is Warming Up

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I have several other posts on this forum that have links of interest to various articles that indicate that all of the planets are experiencing global warming.

I think you must have overlooked uranus, easy to miss I know...

We observed a stellar occultation of the star U149 by Uranus from
Lowell Observatory and the IRTF on Mauna Kea on November 6,
1998. The temperatures derived from isothermal fits to the Lowell
lightcurves are 116.7 § 7.9 K for immersion, and 124.8 § 15.5 K
for emersion. The secular increase in temperature seen during the
period 1977–1983 has reversed. Furthermore, the rate of decrease
(¸1.2 K/yr) cannot be explained solely by radiative cooling
. Although
the temperature structure of Uranus’ upper atmosphere
may be related to seasonal effects (e.g., the subsolar latitude) or local
conditions (e.g., diurnally averaged insolation), these observations
suggest nonradiative influences on the temperature, such as adiabatic
heating/cooling or thermal conduction.

linky

[edit on 11-12-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Well I think alot of it has to do with our solar sistem, when you see most of our solar sistem behaving the same you can't deny the fact that it's happening.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Well, how about ploto and neptune, they are the most distant planets from the sun, if the output of the sun is incresing I would say that is why they are worming up?
The whole solar sistem is worming up even the moons of neptune are reporting such readings and are worming up.

here we go, a post earlier that might help show why it just isn't likely to be solar irradiance variations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This also ignores the pertinent evidence that solar activity has been pretty much constant for the last few decades, and indeed may have been falling since mid 1980s.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've decided that further posting on this thread will only result in a headache. Therefore, I'm leaving with one final thought.

I think that there's an unspoken (at least officially) consensus that whatever it is that's causing the Earth to heat up has already reached the tipping point.

For you "sun is the culprit" believers, well, looks like we're doomed because you can't pull down the shades.

For those of us that believe it's human-caused, well we're doomed because you can't shut down an oil based economy or switch to a clean fuel source in enough time to halt the avalanche anymore (total speculation, but it seems that everything has begun to snowball).

So here's my question, even if it were the sun's fault, what would it hurt to implement all of the changes that people like Al Gore suggest we implement?

It would certainly make our environment cleaner, greener and more livable and maybe extend our stay on the planet for a while longer.

Yeah, okay, CO2 tax... blah... politics aside, global warming isn't the only thing that is a result of our industrial activities. We've lost 70% of the large fish species in our oceans. We're loosing frog species, turtle species, etc...
The coral reefs are all but gone, the rain forests soon to follow.

Something's got to give.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by angst18

Here let me show you something more disturbing.
www.scienceagogo.com...

Curt Davis, a researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia, observed the ice sheet over a 10 year period using satellites and discovered that the ice sheet's interior was gaining mass by about 45 billion tons per year. The interior of the ice sheet is the only large terrestrial ice body that is likely gaining mass rather than losing it, said Davis. "Many recent studies have focused on coastal ice sheet losses and their contributions to sea level rise," Davis said. "This study suggests that the interior areas of the ice sheet also can play an important role. In particular, the East Antarctic ice sheet is the largest in the world and contains enough mass to raise sea level by more than 50 meters. Thus, only small changes in its interior can have a significant affect on sea level."

[edit on 11-12-2007 by pepsi78]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
it's easy to see who's telling the truth. if things were as bad as big al says they are,the government would STOP EVERYTHING that is harmful. remember we are talking about the end of the planet as we know.
instead they TAX it. by the way, they're using terrorism to scare you.
can't everyone see that the knee jerk reaction to the bs is always the same? IF YOU PAY US ,IT'S OK.
IF THIS WAS CAUSED BY MAN, DRASTIC MEASURES WOULD BE TAKEN,NOT TAXED

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join