It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are or were the best guerrilla fighters?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
in an era of modern warfare the award obviously goes to the afghans or the viet-cong.... if we're saying overall, why not Spartacus *spell check* who started with 70 escaped gladiators and rallied troops untill he had an army of over 140k slaves, which he used to ravage Italy in the days of Rome.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Montegnards in Vietnam, Chindits in Burma but the greatest are still the SAS.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The Vietnamese have already been discussed and most agree that they are at or near the top of the list. I am not familiar with those from Burma, although I am familiar with the state of continuous civil war there. Can you shed some enlightenment? As for the SAS
As a special forces group they are superb. But as to guerrilla I am unsure of their capacity for an extended melee. I also feel the same way of our own Seal units. They are the best at what they do, but how well do they operate in an extended scenario with no backup. No disrespect intended to any frogs that want to go head hunting.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Vietcong that is a joke, lol, They were just about wiped out during the Tet offensive,

The north Vietnamese regulars (NVA)took over after Tet and they were a lot better.

The Vietcong were illiterate peons that would never have won anything.

Anyone that thinks different was not there.
I was.

Now the Montagnards were a lot better then the NVA but there were not enough of them to combat the massive NVA army

[edit on 8-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn

The Vietnamese have already been discussed and most agree that they are at or near the top of the list. I am not familiar with those from Burma, although I am familiar with the state of continuous civil war there. Can you shed some enlightenment? As for the SAS
As a special forces group they are superb. But as to guerrilla I am unsure of their capacity for an extended melee. I also feel the same way of our own Seal units. They are the best at what they do, but how well do they operate in an extended scenario with no backup. No disrespect intended to any frogs that want to go head hunting.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

The SAS fought a long term behind the line guerilla type warfare in North Africa during WW2 against the Afrika Corps, they then moved into Europe primaerily in italy and france setting up local resistance groups and organising and leading raids against the German forces. Other long term notable efforts were in places like Northern Ireland, Vietnam ( Brit and Aussie SAS tought the US jungle warfare) Malaya, Borneo, Yemen, Radfan etc etc Their primary function was to operate independantly and long term behind enemy lines carrying out both agressive attacks and passive intel gathering.In Borneo they foraid behind enemy lines for months at a time.

Just thought of another good bunch the Yugoslavian Partisans during WW2

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

good post, i agree.... they have some real achievments behind them.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Viet-Cong... no doubt about it.

The U.S. armed forces threw everything except nukes at them.

When Brando utters "the horror...the horror" in APOCALYPSE NOW, he ain't just whistling Dixie. That's a one word description of what really happened during those Vietnam War years. LBJ instructed Westmoreland that losing was not an option, no way.

Way.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
William Wallace!

He and his ragtag army of Scottish peasants,armed mainly with farming implements,certainly gave the English Army a hard time,with their hit and run tactics!

He gets my vote!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
William Wallace!

He and his ragtag army of Scottish peasants,armed mainly with farming implements,certainly gave the English Army a hard time,with their hit and run tactics!

He gets my vote!

Erm He lost.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Aye.In the end he lost!

Stop splitting hairs!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Viet Cong may have lost a lot of fighters during the Tet Offensive, but they still had a victory celebration in Saigon after the American soldiers followed in the footsteps of the French soldiers.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm shocked that of all these replies, not one of you have given respect to the Fighting Wolverines! I know Patrick Swayze was young and just out of high school, but man did those kids stick it to the Cubans and Russians! I'm still pissed the British didn't step in and help, maybe if they had...our good friend Charlie Sheen would still be with us.

That said, I'm throwing my vote in for the Samurai.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The members of the 13 original colonies.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
salvadoreans....

they're cutting off body parts in modern america

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Wow! I am impressed that this thread is still active. I never thought that I would recieve so many responses.

As to the fighting wolverines they weren't real guys and don't count, sorry

As to the original colonist maybe not, but those that fought in the revolutionary war did change the way wars are fought forever.

I don,t know much about the Salvadorans. Perhaps you couldenlighten us with a link or two?

It still looks like the Viet Cong have by far the most votes and the respect of all that have posted here.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Have you guys ever seen the statistics on the Vietnam war the Viet Cong didn't really fare to well. My vote goes with the IRA.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The Afghans and the Cubans hands down. No foreign power has EVER held Afghanistan without going broke in the process. And The Cuban revolution was the most successful in recent history.

Beyond that I would say the Revolutionary founders of the USA.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
it's the Philippine Scout Rangers, i think. only men with iron determination qualify to be one.They are born and trained like a panther. they are silent, swift and invincible at night..

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
don't forget the Spaniards fighting against Napoleon back in the day. They literally killed hundreds of thousands of his French troops. This is actually where the word "guerilla" came from too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join