It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are or were the best guerrilla fighters?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SHADO13
Hey Guys I'm not saying gangs are any good or anything but , couldnt they be considered guerillas as well?

In most cases, no.
They mostly fight other gangs rather than governments.
David Koresh's gang/cult (whatever you may think of them) did hold out for a while against the US gov't (ditto).

Also the original Mafia started out as a guerilla movement against the Norman French occupiers of Sicily in 1280 or so.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
For those of you who aren't familiar with the history of the America Revolution (of 1776) look up Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox). In 1959 Walt Disney did a three hour mini series on him. He made it rather hot for the Red Coats in the Carolinas.

Now, how come no one has mentioned the Japanese Ninjas?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Suprised nobody mentioned the RoK forces, or better yet, the KPA out of the north who have nothing to lose and only get to eat in hostile territory if they can take it from the residents.
Heard several tales (from people who were there) about how, after the "armistace", the NK's would make incursions, do a bit of damage or theft, and slip back before anyone noticed. Not to mention some that can't be verified as supposedly still classified, such as boats and at least one sub disabled far down in enemy territory, and at least some of the crews fought all the way back home through hostile territory. Not only outsmarting and out manuvering RoK forces, but US forces as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Why fight a guerrilla? They are HUGE. Just give him the D@MN banana and run!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Lots of new ideas. I don't think gangs are really what we are looking for although they can be ingenious in there methods. As to just giving him a banana he will eventually want the whole bunch, then what? Your gonna have to shoot him then anyway so save your bananas and eat them yourself.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'd have to say that the award for the best guerrilla fighters of the 20th century would have to go to the Viet Cong.
But history is littered with battles fought where the underdogs would fight an unconventional war while their enemies didnt and the underdogs would win.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

So true. History is written by the winners.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If the vote was for ''The guerrilla Nation of all time'', then it would be Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is one of the few nations on earth to take on the empire of Alexander the Great, the British Empire, the Soviet Union and NATO. None of these enemies won decisively.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
The PIRA have got to be up there. At any one time there were estimated to be only approx 80 active ASU members, as opposed to over 20'000 British troops on the streets.

i hate the b@stards, but thats some odds

You're sort of correct, but the estimate I learned of was 40 Regular (P)IRA, about 2,000 irregular part-timers who, in turn, had a whole bunch of sympathisers (including some across the pond).

Be under no illusion though that the government was forced to the negotiating table, they had been negotiating for decades before the Good Friday agreement.
The dream of having the troop levels of pre-1969 will probably never happen, like the Falklands there will always be a resident garrison of 1000 or so regular troops now tucked away in their barracks in Lisbon. Enough to hold the fort in the case of riots etc.
There are some sneaky ways as well to create the illusion of their being no visible troops on the streets as well. Often in the event of crowd control being needed the troops get called out and exchange their DPM gear for police uniforms! I know this as this is what my brother (still serving now) and his boys had to wear when he was in Ireland recently.

In fact the IRA's and the Catholic folk's goal and dream was for the re-unification of Northern Ireland with the South. This is unlikely to happen and when the IRA couldn't win by violence the logical decision was to renounce it.

The IRA were well organised but only a fraction of them were true professionals. They could of dominated the rival protestant factions but made the mistake of trying to take on the entire British establishment after the Boody Sunday incident.
Some of the stuff they got up to was beyond the pale and the work of cowboys.

The British Armies hands were tied by the ROE and the government didn't want a bloodbath from a pre-emptive strike on the known players.
To be honest the IRAs effectiveness came crashing down after the Gibralter Ambush (1988) as they lost some of their leading masterminds in one fell swoop.
A good conspiracy theory at the time and still prevelent now is that the urban warfare training and anti-terrorist cells of the British were in no hurry to end the conflict. The cold war was still raging for the most part and having an army experienced in the grim ways of this would of been invaluable in taking on the commies.

My thoughts for best guerrilla fighters is probably the zealots who took on the might of the Roman Empire. These guys were pretty versitile fighters.
They even defeating a full Roman legion in open battle when outnumbered 5:1.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
After reading all of these posts it still amazes me that so many people think that the american public armed with the second amendment cannot defeat the military power of the government.

It has been proven time and time again that a smaller less well trained force can defeat a larger better supplied army. Especially when the so called smaller group.[over four million] outnumbers the standing army by a four to one advantage.

There is no doubt in my mind that the people of the U.S. could effectively render useless the power of the military for all there technological advantage.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I dont know the name of that outfit group but the guys from south africa that are contracted are pretty awesome.I think you would call them mercenaries.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You don't mean the ones that tried to overthrow Eq Guinea recently and are now in the Black Beach Slammer do you???!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

You're sort of correct, but the estimate I learned of was 40 Regular (P)IRA, about 2,000 irregular part-timers who, in turn, had a whole bunch of sympathisers (including some across the pond).

The "2000 part timers" you speak of would include the dickers and people who provided weapon dumps etc who didn't actually perform the attacks. The estimate of 80 full time was given in 1984 when the provos were at their height.

The dream of having the troop levels of pre-1969 will probably never happen, like the Falklands there will always be a resident garrison of 1000 or so regular troops now tucked away in their barracks in Lisbon. Enough to hold the fort in the case of riots etc.

Current plans are for a garrison of 3500 troops in provence at any one time, bringing it into line with the rest of the UK with regards to military manning for an area of this size. Of those troops, a very large percentage will be logistical troops.

There are some sneaky ways as well to create the illusion of their being no visible troops on the streets as well. Often in the event of crowd control being needed the troops get called out and exchange their DPM gear for police uniforms! I know this as this is what my brother (still serving now) and his boys had to wear when he was in Ireland recently.

This was a tactic for a while, but has not been used for some time. The police MSUs (or whatever they're called these days) are more than capable of taking care of the public order situations that present themselves of late. There are massive legal implications for the deployment of troops on the streets in a public order role in the current climate, particularly if wearing police uniforms. Hence all police in this role have ID numbers printed on their helmets for identification after an incident.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I was shooting from the hip a bit, thanks for the clarity there Paddy dude

Originally posted by Wotan
If the vote was for ''The guerrilla Nation of all time'', then it would be Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is one of the few nations on earth to take on the empire of Alexander the Great, the British Empire, the Soviet Union and NATO. None of these enemies won decisively.

I think you're overdoing the capability of the Afgans. In the ancient For a start Alexander occupied and cemented his hold over them (the only time) by his campaigns.

British empire didn't want to have anything to do with them, instead it was pretty much punative raids and battles. Securing the Kyber Pass and what not.
Also the British Empire is back in Afganistan and this time the guerilla are certainly on the back foot. Guerrila's don't always have it their own way I'm afraid.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the PKK/HPG forces who was/is still fighting Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran at the same time. With Turkey being supported enormously by US weapon and intelligence, German and french weaponry and heavy Israeli air intelligence too. With former Saddam regime getting supported with American chemical weapon ( later used against hundreds of thousands civilians). Against the Iranian big army and against Syrian army supported by US. And yet they have maintaned for nearly 30 years now and their back up is getting bigger and bigger and their forces stronger and stronger.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
my vote goes for the old school michael collins ira

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'd have to say viet-cong

I heard some crazy stories...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'd have to say viet-cong

I heard some crazy stories...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ggurl777

Thanks for the reply. The VC have gotten a lot of votes. For shear ingenuity and tenacity they deserve alot. The tunnel systems that they developed are worth a good study. We can also learn from how the disseminated through the population.

respectfully
reluctantpawn

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join