It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something about Genesis...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
im not sure if this is the correct thread to post here, but i was answering another post on ATS concerning religion, and something i read in Genesis confused me... the bible talks in chapter 4 about how cain and abel were born of adam and eve, and of course cain kills abel and is cursed...

It is here that the issue arises... the bible only speaks of cain and abel as being the sons of adam, but in 4:17 it says the following :

17: And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

ok, where did she come from? if adam and eve had cain and abel, where did cain's wife come from? if adam and eve had a daughter, why isn't it mentioned here, because it stands to reason that if it's just adam and eve alone at first, their children would have to procreate with each other to proliferate the human race... but there is no mention of a daughter... WHY?

chapter 6 goes on to list and describe all of cain's children... multiple children... then afterwards, goes back to adam, and their son after cain and abel, which is seth. and then adam dies... where are the females? Eve thusfar has been the only one mentioned, and it doesn't say that cain and eve procreated, it just says "Cain knew his wife", which leads one to believe that a female other than eve was cain's wife... but who could it be and how is that possible if no other children are mentioned?

If anyone knows why cain's lineage is more important than adam and eve's, or why any other children that adam and eve apparently must have had, but not listed, please let me know

i look forward to reading your responses

P.S. i just noticed there is a post a couple of threads below this one that talks about the same topic, that was unintentional on my part, but at least i know im not the only one that noticed it.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by sandman692]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There are a few different theories / ideas... all off which rather upsets the mainstream catholic.

1. Adam had a first wife named Lilith. This is true in several Jewish texts... the reason she isn't mentioned in the Bible is because she had rebelled against Adam, not wanting to be his lesser but rather his equal. She left Eden and denounced God; chances are good that they had children.

2. Incest. I think Adam and Eve had two other sons and five daughters, but don't quote me on that.

3. Other tribes. Adam and Eve weren't the only "first beings" created, every religious group has them, from all over the world, on every contenient.

As for your secondary question, as to why Cain's lineage is more important, I cannot say. Perhaps there are other books missing, books that would have detailed this. Or perhaps it is because of what Cain did that makes him more important... people are more fascinated with the murderer then a do-gooder. How many people do you know who would have loved to buy OJ Simpson's "If I Had Done It" book compared to something based on Mother Theresa?

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
well, i spoke with my father in law, who is a preacher, and he said that the women aren't mentioned because they were considered worthless at the time, more or less property than an equal, as you stated concerning lilith.

Im not sure exactly why it wouldn't have been mentioned, as well as lilith herself, i've never heard of her until now, perhaps ill look into that a little more... if it is true, then perhaps as these stories were passed down orally, parts were left out that eventually became forgotten, like if i tell a story about an event to my child where 5 people were involved, but i tell the story of only 3 of them, then my child only knows of the three... if this concerns history, details are more important nowadays then they were in the beginning i suppose...

i don't know, all we can do is make suppositions, it was just puzzling to me that the bible would go into more detail about cain's lineage than adam's, being that adam was the first.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
As stated before, there are several theories on where this female came from.

It is a question that is brought up by many who look to find discrepancies and loopholes in the bible.

There is the theory that Cain's wife came from the Land of Nod and that the people of Nod were the children of Adam and Lilith.

There is the theory that Cain wed his sister.

There is the theory that, again, Cain's wife was from Nod and that they were a people that had been created before Adam and Eve were.

There is the theory that Adam and Eve were the first two people created by Yahweh and Cain married into the people created by other deities.

It is hard to say and the best answer would be the one that resonates within your soul as truth. No one can tell you what to believe. You have to choose that one on your own.

VV

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
All:

Do the math... based on the current bible the only way this works is by incest. Since this is forbidden then the great book has a major edit going on. Someone must have cut out the detail. If not then the book is faulty and incomplete.

whoa... what a concept... could it be...nahhh it must be perfect and whole... it is the word of ... some old guys that thought lightening came from GOD's anger and that a bad crop meant we did something wrong just like children think it's their fault all the time.

Move along... nothing to see here anymore.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValhallasValkyrie
As stated before, there are several theories on where this female came from.

It is a question that is brought up by many who look to find discrepancies and loopholes in the bible.

There is the theory that Cain's wife came from the Land of Nod and that the people of Nod were the children of Adam and Lilith.

There is the theory that Cain wed his sister.

There is the theory that, again, Cain's wife was from Nod and that they were a people that had been created before Adam and Eve were.

There is the theory that Adam and Eve were the first two people created by Yahweh and Cain married into the people created by other deities.

It is hard to say and the best answer would be the one that resonates within your soul as truth. No one can tell you what to believe. You have to choose that one on your own.

VV

i think that is in the books of adam

aprocryphal they are or i think in some of enochs book

supposedly cain and abel both had twin sisters

abel was to have cain' twin and cain likewise to have abels twin

cain's twin the the prettiest of the 2 and so cain was jealous and lured into killing him from devil? or some evil

ill try to find the book, its all online here

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
ok here it is

wether genuine or not, its a definite interesting read

www.hiddenmysteries.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to
post by sandman692

Hi Sandman,

Someone else asked me this question recently; I will give you the same answer. Quite simply there were already people living outside of the Garden of Eden; think about it would God have this whole world for two people?

I don’t think so plus if you go to Genesis chapter 1 verse 26, it speaks of man in our image blah blah then it is not until the next chapter that he speaks about breathing life into the nostrils of a specific man (Adam); the fact that these two are spoken of in separate chapters leads me to believe that they are indeed two separate instances of God creating man.

I believe that the people outside of the garden would have been like nomads; just simple folk living off the land with no knowledge of God right/wrong etc. While God had a specific plan for Adam and Eve which was to learn about good/evil right/wrong etc It was no accident that Satan influenced them, God knew this would happen, that is why Satan was banished to earth and not put away for good. For you see Satan’s influence is like a trial for man to overcome like tempering steel.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I doubt that there was any incest - this would disrupt the genetic code of the child and there would be a high chance of disabilities.

Just because the Bible didn't dictate where his wife came from doesn't mean that there was incest.

I'm more inclined to believe that other created tribes mixed in with the family, but as a Raelian (www.rael.org) it's possible that the Elohim (our extra terrestrial creators) engineered a different group of people in order to prevent inbreding.

-Josh
www.rael.org

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by archangel_josh

i think being some of the first humans or whatever, not sure how much the chances were back then of something seriously resulting in going wrong

the same thing would of been with noah after the flood just a few more people and you get more mixing

its like one of those unanswerable questions, we'll never know

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In response to archangel...

Considering the purity of Adam and Eve, would there have been a genetic breakdown with incestual children? Adam was as close to being a divine creature as they come (in the physical sense), and Eve was of his essence... that, to me, sounds like a pure genetic line.

I would think that birth defects and other incestual results would only occur when more / other genetic lines are introduced, thus allowing for more genetic outcomes. We as mortals can't do it (incest) now because we have so many genetic variables, something's bound to get messed up.

With MurderCityDevil...

There would have been no worry of incest with Noah and his family... they had spouses from outside their clan, thus allowing for more diversity. There just would have been alot of wife swapping.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
We are all retarded and we don't even know it, back then people like adam and eve were "perfect" and lived for hundreds of years, but due to their sins and the incest...well lets just say we are the product of that...the retarded generation scr#$ing up the world

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreOne
reply to
post by sandman692

I don’t think so plus if you go to Genesis chapter 1 verse 26, it speaks of man in our image blah blah then it is not until the next chapter that he speaks about breathing life into the nostrils of a specific man (Adam); the fact that these two are spoken of in separate chapters leads me to believe that they are indeed two separate instances of God creating man.

hey sorry it took me so long to reply to your post, i was in munich for a few days at a series of meetings. anways, in response to this, i thought the same way you did, and i asked my father in law about this as well. those two verses are one and the same.

in the first verse, man is created as it was said. then the first line of that next verse (gen 2:4) reads "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens"

what it is basically doing there is going into more detail about the instance he created adam. the first part was a basic rundown of what he did from day 1 to 7, then it describes in detail day 7. this isn't an instance where others are made before adam, though it does read like that. the first time i read that my eyes bugged out of my head, but once it was explained to me like that it made more sense.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandman692

It is here that the issue arises... the bible only speaks of cain and abel as being the sons of adam, but in 4:17 it says the following :

ok, where did she come from?

It's really very simple. Where did Cain get his wife? Adam “became father to sons and daughters.” (Genesis 5:4) So Cain took one of his anonymous sisters or perhaps even one of his nieces as a wife.

Adam and Eve had a large family. Since mankind was then so close to human perfection, such a marriage evidently did not pose the health risks that may imperil the offspring of such a union today.

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakeman

Do the math... based on the current bible the only way this works is by incest. Since this is forbidden then the great book has a major edit going on. Someone must have cut out the detail. If not then the book is faulty and incomplete.

Not quite true. Incest was not forbidden until it was specifically listed in the Law covenant about 2500 years after Adam sinned. Before that, Abram married his half sister, and evidently God did not disapprove of that relationship.

new topics

top topics

join