It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug addicts used as organ donors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Drug addicts used as organ donors

news.bbc.co.uk

A serious shortage of organs means transplant surgeons are being forced to use body parts from drug addicts.

Between 2002 and 2007 some 450 organs came from donors with a history of drug abuse, which may affect the quality of the organ and raise infection risks.

The lack of viable organs is due in part to the fact that fewer healthy people are dying in car accidents, when organs can often be retrieved in tact.

There is currently debate on whether to overhaul the system of organ donation.

The government is examining a proposal that everyone should be put on the organ donor register, unless they "opt-out".

At present, no-one is considered to be a donor unless they put their name on the list.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Not a nice story.
I knew there was a shortage of donors,but I did not know this was how are are coping with the shortage.
What do you think of the idea that everyone is assumed to be a donor unless they opt out?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
What do you think of the idea that everyone is assumed to be a donor unless they opt out?

I don't have a problem with it.

Pertaining to this news, the plus side is that the junkies are finally being of some use to society.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

The government is examining a proposal that everyone should be put on the organ donor register, unless they "opt-out".

At present, no-one is considered to be a donor unless they put their name on the list.

that 'Default' way of enlarging the rolls of donors...I feel is Fraudlent to say the least.

back in the U.S. (Carolina, Arizona, Florida) where i had licenses,
I always declined being a 'Organ Donor' after that option was
made a mandatory question on a license application.

i did/do however keep up with my blood donations every year i have been able bodied to do so.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Hmm,I hear you-although I am not sure how long a transplanted organ from a drug addict would last.
They could be half wreaked already,and so could store up further suffering for the patient in the future.

Its a bit like replacing your auto clutch with one thats been hammered already....

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I guess it depends on what organ, and what sort of drugs the addicts were abusing and even how they were abusing it. Although I'd venture a guess that they'd all probably have lousy kidneys.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

thats true,and I would hope the doctors have some way of testing the quality of the organs in order to filter out the heavily damaged ones.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Hey, if its a matter of life and death, you can't be too picky.

apc

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   

...and so could store up further suffering for the patient in the future.

Or it could relieve their suffering. I think this would really depend on what drugs they did.

I don't have a problem with this. A stoner's lungs are better than no lungs at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I guess you are right there,
The delay in waiting for different organs may cost the patient their life,so yes better than no transplant at all.

new topics

top topics

join